Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Rara Avis

I have to verify my age to watch that ... a quick google search tells me it's something to do with Thomas the Tank Engine?

hippynumber1

Thoroughly enjoying "Charlie Jade" from way back in 2005.

Tjm86

Well, finally got round to watching the second series of Whedon's Dollhouse.  Actually, both seasons back to back which worked reasonably well.

It's not hideous, to be sure.  There are plenty of good ideas packed in.  Tudyk hams it up big style as a psycho in the few episodes he is in.

One nice thing is that the writing on the wall clearly gave the creative team the heads up to wrap things up.  The net result being that there is a conclusion of sorts.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Mare of Easttown

In which the lovely Kate Winslett shrugs off the Galbrush paradox and plays the kind of awful, alcoholic, self-destructive detective role that's normally reserved for middle aged men. As for plot, it's the kind of small-town murder mystery that could have easily been used for a season of Fargo. The kind of plot when whodunnit is less important than why-does-this-character-suspect-that-character-dunnit.
You may quote me on that.

Radbacker

Up to episode 4 of Peacemaker, rather enjoyable if you like James Gunns style.  Lots of lol moments but also has a fair bit of heart.  John Cenna is great in it and the rest of the cast are great too with Vigilante a stand out especially in episode 4.
Also has one of the greatest opening credits ever 😁

CU Radbacker

I, Cosh

Enjoying Warrior at the moment. It's a sort of kung fu Peaky Blinders gang series seemingly spun out of the backstory of the Mr Wu episode of Deadwood. The lead, Andrew Koji, does a great line in smug condescension and the fight scenes (guaranteed at least one decent one per episode) are the best I've seen on a tv show.

Over the past few months we've also dabbled in:

Designated Survivor is basically 24 but now Jack's too old to run around himself. It starts out quite fun but the conspiracy elements quickly go from absurd to totally absurd and there's always that tension between the liberal wish fulfillment politicking storylines and the desire to the see the bad guys get unambiguously stomped. Infuritatingly, we've only watched the first series because my partner - who wanted to start it in the first place - got fed up with it while I'm still secretly dying to know how the thriller part plays out.

House of Paper/Money Heist/Whatever it's called there. Spanish series about a lengthy robbery going right, then wrong, then maybe right again. Lots of changing relationships, slowly evolving backstories and double-crosses where virtually everyone is some kind of dickhead or hijo de puta. Good idea and a soupcon of commentary on Spain's particularly difficult experience of the recent austerity years. The evolution of one character from mild-mannered academic mastermind to Spanish Ethan Hunt stretches things a bit but never mind.

There's a natural break after the second Netflix series. Doubt we'll go back for the rest but up to here it was pretty good fun.

About a million years late to the party: the first series of Stranger Things. I'm sure this one has been discussed at length here. A very well put together homage to eighties pop culture which manages to go beyond the trap of simply being a set of references and tell its own story within that setting. Obviously, the number one thing they picked up on and got absolutely right was making the central characters exactly the right kind of slightly dorky, slightly awkward, competely average (in a good way) and natural kids.

And, of course, Christmas was the time when we briefly resubscribe to Sky and watch Chernobyl again. Astonishingly powerful tv.
We never really die.

pictsy

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Was surprised how much I enjoyed this.  I got tired of comedy shows a while ago because of how mean-spirited they mostly seemed to be.  This one is actually a lot more sweet and adorable.  I like most of the characters, I didn't get bored and I actually laughed.  Out loud.  More than once.  I think it resolves its conflicts in the right amount of time and the series as whole wrapped up nicely.  It even acknowledges the systemic and institutional problems of the police force without tired apologist nonsense about bad apples and isolated cases.  It's not a great social commentary, but it was a breath of fresh air that it got as much right as it did.  Really glad I watched it, it's going to go into the pool of TV shows I rewatch.  My favourite character is Rosa.

Adventure Time

Love this cartoon.  Maybe this time around I'll finally watch the final episode.  I like how it builds upon itself to create a rich world and story.  My favourite character is Marceline the Vampire Queen.

The Legendary Shark

Just been through The Sopranos again and loved it (again). I still love the ending and think it comes just at the right time, before things get too repetitive. Great stuff.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2022, 06:25:49 PM

Just been through The Sopranos again and loved it (again). I still love the ending and think it comes just at the right time, before things get too repetitive. Great stuff.

Really must do a rematch. I adore that show and think the end is pretty much perfect.

The Legendary Shark

Agreed.

(I wonder if the guy in the fisherman's cap in the Final Scene was Robert Patrick's character, the sporting goods store owner who got shafted...? I've never looked it up because I really don't want to know - but it felt cool to notice that it might be.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Radbacker

All of us are Dead

Fuck the Koreans are really knocking it out of the park when it comes to genre stuff.  Another top effort up there with Squid Games, best Zombie show I've seen in years like a long form Train to Busan (which gets a name check episode two I thin it was, just as I turned to my missus to say this could really be set in the same universe as TTB the characters bring up the movie when discussing Zombies 😆) and a wonderful mid season twist the differentiate it from common Zombie outbreaks [spoiler]the virus is learning and suddenly intelligent Zombies[/spoiler].  Nice long episodes too so plenty of time for the show to breathe and build character so as they start being offed you really feel free it.  Only half way through but have read that the series sticks the landing too.  On Netflix if ya got it

CU Radbacker

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Radbacker on 05 February, 2022, 03:05:21 AM
All of us are Dead

Fuck the Koreans are really knocking it out of the park when it comes to genre stuff.  Another top effort up there with Squid Games, best Zombie show I've seen in years like a long form Train to Busan (which gets a name check episode two I thin it was, just as I turned to my missus to say this could really be set in the same universe as TTB the characters bring up the movie when discussing Zombies 😆) and a wonderful mid season twist the differentiate it from common Zombie outbreaks [spoiler]the virus is learning and suddenly intelligent Zombies[/spoiler].  Nice long episodes too so plenty of time for the show to breathe and build character so as they start being offed you really feel free it.  Only half way through but have read that the series sticks the landing too.  On Netflix if ya got it

CU Radbacker

Good stuff I'll give it a go - as well as Squid game I really liked Kingdom which is a medieval take on the Zombie genre (hopefully they will have a 3rd season of this)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Hawkmumbler

Been watching I, CLADIUS over the last week after years of meaning to do so and...yeah, bit good innit?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 February, 2022, 02:43:47 PM
Been watching I, CLADIUS over the last week after years of meaning to do so and...yeah, bit good innit?

One of the best t.v. shows ever.

~~~

The Tourist. A man has a car accident in the Australian Outback and, on awakening in hospital, has amnesia. A fairly standard set-up but an engrossing six episode series with more than a touch of Fargo about it. Recommended.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]