Main Menu

Byrne on Moore & Brits

Started by abc warrior, 10 June, 2006, 02:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das

well i read everything byrne drew up through next men.
always thought he was being presumptuous when he jumped to adding writing credits
byrne/alan davis/kaluta all had a fine line style that was real pleasing.

here in america we always joked about how his only good work
WAS STOLEN/REWORKED FROM KIRBY !!

but what a bitter old trout !
reminds me of meeting don simpson (mr. monster) and finding out that he's a really cranky a-hole,
and ended up just never buying his books again.........

Confusion is Better Than Sex

JayzusB.Christ

To be fair, Mr Byrne has never deviated from the core concept of himself:  a nasty, envious, small-minded little runner-up.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Everyone's favourite English national treasure would love this from Mr B:

It's rather like a skit on the old A BIT OF TRY AND LAURIE show. smirk
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

I really hope he reads this thread  :lol:

Aaron A Aardvark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 July, 2010, 01:56:36 AM
A serious question for a second: does anyone know if there's an actual psychological term (fitting as the term 'contemptible little prick' is) to describe the type of insecurity John Byrne displays, i.e.  to become obsessed with somebody else who has done better than you in your own field and harp on and on about them?

Sour grapes?

If it wasn't for this thread I would never have heard of John Byrne. Now there's a part of my brain forever soiled. What a tosser!

Matt Timson

What really cracks me up are the people rushing to the aid of their hero (especially the likes of Al Cook, who I'm pretty sure Byrne can't stand), with their whines of, "why are you arguing with a man who has you on ignore?"- like any of them believe- even for a second- that he is on ignore.

:lol:
Pffft...

Funt Solo

QuoteWhen the impossible is eliminated, what remains, however improbable, must be true.

I'm so poorly read I thought Spock had coined that.
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 July, 2010, 09:03:57 PM
QuoteWhen the impossible is eliminated, what remains, however improbable, must be true.

I'm so poorly read I thought Spock had coined that.

Nah, 'poorly read' is thinking Data coined it.

Peter Wolf

Or Bullshit.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

darryl(doofus forgot his password)

I can't believe it!

After years away, this thread is still here and still entertaining!

You'd think that Byrne would have better things to do with his time...!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Is American culture partly to blame for John Byrne's seeming bitterness towards Alan Moore?

'..Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing.' Henry Russel Sanders Football coach at Bruin, UCLA

Could John Byrne a successful writer/illustrator be resentful of Alan Moore because Watchman is regarded as the Comic book that defined a certain era and is the one story that tends to get a lot of attention?

At least three major motion pictures have recently been based on Alan Moore's works. Nothing provokes more than success and though several Titles Byrne was involved with have become feature films it's not really something that people tend to associate with John Byrne's name.

Also Moore tended to be cynical about his hero's. The Comedian in Watchman was an occasional rapist hardly something that the Super hero genre that Byrne enjoyed success with would want to be associated with.  

There's no doubt Byrne's ego can be ugly it's probably what made him successful too but you've got to see it from his point of view. A bearded Limey comes over the pond, pisses in your spring water and walks off with the kudo's and the glory. How would you feel? This in a culture where the winners are lionized as being special,exceptional. No one remembers the runners up in the SuperBowl final do they?  

I don't like Byrnes resentment to the very talented fellow writer Alan Moore. But if I felt I was forever in someones shadow you can see how such feelings could be generated. Unpleasent though they might be.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richmond Clements

Ah! But Byrne is British! (at least by birth)

I suspect his vitriol comes from a good old dose of self-loathing and a massive amount of (even for a comic artist) insecurity and doubt about the quality of his work.

Peter Wolf

No one likes a sore loser.

By all means have rant about it.Then have another rant about it if you like then get over it and yourself and shut up about it and move on from it.

If someone bears a grudge about someone else and doesnt let it go then its their own personal baggage that needs to be sorted out.In other words its John Byrnes problem.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Professor Bear

Someone should point out that Byrne probably isn't unique in either his opinions or in having said opinions while working in the comics industry: Byrne is unique in simply not knowing to keep his [spoiler]fuck[/spoiler]ing gob shut and play the PR game pretty much every successful writer and artist working in the increasingly-smaller comics field at the minute has to excel at just to keep their head above water.

This is not to say some of Byrne's opinions aren't a bit mental, obviously.  Do you think if someone met his asking price for commissions he'd do a Watchmen pin-up?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professah Byah on 08 July, 2010, 04:09:06 PM
This is not to say some of Byrne's opinions aren't a bit mental, obviously.  Do you think if someone met his asking price for commissions he'd do a Watchmen pin-up?

How about a commission of Alan Moore shagging Jean Grey?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.