Main Menu

Byrne on Moore & Brits

Started by abc warrior, 10 June, 2006, 02:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 July, 2010, 01:43:04 PMI suspect his vitriol comes from a good old dose of self-loathing and a massive amount of (even for a comic artist) insecurity and doubt about the quality of his work.

What fascinates me about Byrne and the other anti-Moore people over there is that they don't seem to realise that Moore's success and influence stems from him having written comics that comic fans enjoy reading. They write as though Moore somehow forced his work on publishers and fans, and then forced writers and artists to immitate him.

I've sometimes been tempted to register over there, but it would be like voluntarily getting yourself committed and spending your days in the least padded room repeatedly charging the walls head first.

Regards

Robin

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Robin Low on 08 July, 2010, 05:08:54 PM

What fascinates me about Byrne and the other anti-Moore people over there is that they don't seem to realise that Moore's success and influence stems from him having written comics that comic fans enjoy reading. They write as though Moore somehow forced his work on publishers and fans, and then forced writers and artists to immitate him.

Byrne has equal contempt for both readers and authors.

JayzusB.Christ

I'd never heard of JB until last year on this board. I still haven't read any of his stories.  However I've become morbidly fascinated by his silly ramblings, i must admit.  Hard to believe a man would make his own insecurities so public. 
Look at Moore's works, ye daft tit, and despair.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

PsychoGoatee

While Byrne clearly has some issues and is quite the internet troll, I've gotta at least point out what an immense talent he is.

A lot of classic X-Men stuff, plus gotta respect people who can both write and draw. It's weird to me that a bunch of people hadn't heard of him in this topic.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 15 July, 2010, 02:16:45 AM
While Byrne clearly has some issues and is quite the internet troll, I've gotta at least point out what an immense talent he is.

A lot of classic X-Men stuff, plus gotta respect people who can both write and draw. It's weird to me that a bunch of people hadn't heard of him in this topic.

The only thing i have heard about John Byrne is on this thread and the majority of what i know about JB is regarding his behaviour.

I dont read Superhero type US comics at all as i have no interest in them.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 15 July, 2010, 03:29:18 AM
I dont read Superhero type US comics at all as i have no interest in them.

Well, hardly surprising that you haven't heard of him, then!

The Claremont/Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men is a seminal work, and Byrne's run on Fantastic Four and his Superman re-boot are both very well-regarded (although I haven't read them, being a fan of neither set of characters). As Matt Timson has said, it's difficult now to look back on his work without it being tainted by the knowledge that he is such a fantastically bitter, twisted old fucktard.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Heck, even as late as Next Men, Byrne was still producing immensely readable work (Next Men being a personal Favourite) and there is no doubt that he can tell a story in my mind. However, his work isn't the current vogue, so he's been left behind by the media he wants to be so well regarded by.

Richmond Clements

QuoteThe Claremont/Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men is a seminal work

Indeed. Hellfire Club. 'Nuff said.

M.I.K.

I've read a few issues of The Incredible Hulk he wrote/drew. Thought those were rather damn good too. No denying the bloke's got talent. Pity about his personality.

Peter Wolf

I have had a look at some examples of his work and while it is very good it just isnt my thing at all.

I have to say that after reading various threads involving JB he is very very far from being the worst example of objectionable behaviour on the internet by a long shot.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JayzusB.Christ

True, but he is a bit of a silly moo.

Someday there'll be a post from John Byrne saying it's all been a prank, and that someone (he has his suspicions) has hacked into his account and made him sound cocky and obnoxious, while all he wants is for his work to be critiqued (but in a constructive way).

One lives in hope.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 July, 2010, 10:23:55 AM
QuoteThe Claremont/Byrne run on Uncanny X-Men is a seminal work

Indeed. Hellfire Club. 'Nuff said.

As a youngster it took many years to work out who 'Nuff was  :-[
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 July, 2010, 11:58:33 AM
[As a youngster it took many years to work out who 'Nuff was  :-[

I had that problem with Ed. 

Richmond Clements

That Bullpen always sounded a dangerous place to me, too...