Main Menu

Ross and Brand vs. Civilisation

Started by paulvonscott, 29 October, 2008, 07:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

As this probably deserves its own thread (or to be completely forgotten about).

I only occasionally listen to Russel Brand, but usually tune into Ross' Saturday Radio show (where he's much less annoying that his TV show incarnation).  When I realised Ross had been on Brand's show I thought that would be worth a listen.  It was sort of entertaining, not as good as Ross' show, as Ross was depserately trying to keep up with Brand for the most part.

Anyway...

The Andrew Sachs phonecall was pretty embarressing and well out of order.  Brand wasn't behaving well before the call, and Ross jumped in during the call and it was unrecoverable from there.  What they should have done was erase the message while they could.  Failing that just phone back and apologise.  But it was made much worse by the following messages.  Car crash radio.

I thought it would be in the papers, but as at least a week had passed, I assumed it had all been dealt with.  Ross was quick to apologise and even admitted on air that he knew he'd made a mistake.

Then up pops the Daily Mail, who turn it into a story to sell papers.  They repeat the claims before an audience who likes to be outraged and it all goes out of control.  Now to my mind, the Daily Mail owes Sachs a huge apology.  Who would have heard of it and how bad would the damage have been if it wasn't for the Mail (and the rest)?  

Of all the people who have complained, I doubt many actually listened to that radio show (or went to listen to it just to be offended).  Certainly Gordon Brown and David Cameron didn't.  Or all the other self-righteous gimps who have crawled out from under their stones.

While I hugely dissaproved of the phone calls they made, have every sympathy for Sachs (who seems to have maintained his dignity throughout) and his family, and feel there should be a sanction against them, I have to say I feel compelled to side with them against the circus of twats up against them. Give them a slap and move on.

Buttonman

No time at all for this self styled pair of 'naughty schoolboys'. Pair of overpaid arseholes who'll be loving this injection of publicity oxygen.

Colin YNWA

While I agree the whole thing has got to ridiculious levels and Gordon B stepping in just simply reeks of him finding people to be presented against who make him look good I personally am quite glad of the slap down that Ross and Brand are getting.

Smug broadcasters like this need to be reminded that their vacuous whittering and self safistifed nonsense needs to be kept within the bounds of common decency. Now I've not heard the show so I'll not comment on that just glad that a couple of smug media types are being reminded of the real world for once. Not the ego inflating, back slapping media circus in which they live. Could have been any number of people but it was them they seem to be in the wrong they need to get into a bit of trouble. That said I believe it was a pre-record show so surely there's a number of editors/producers that are wetting themselves right now as well!

Wow that was a rant - oh and the Daily Mail should apologise for just about everything.

Pete Wells

I'm glad this has broken away from the Stalag thread, I was feeling guilty about derailing it.

I don't mind going against popular opinion and say that I really, really enjoy listening to both Ross and Brand. In fact, I download both radio shows every week and listen on my way to work. I find Brand exciting and, at times, quite edgy and dangerous and listening to his rise (and fall) in the USA is fascinating. He has an excellent co-host who tends to keep him grounded but he's been away the last few weeks so Brand has been a bit of a monster, hence this stunt. Similarly, I enjoy Rossy who, in his radio program at least, often has great guests and some really intelligent conversation. I for one would be gutted if they were sacked for a stupid stunt that, if people bothered to listen to it, is really quite juvenille and two daft blokes caught up in a moment.

I'm finding the hysteria quite amazing. As Paul said, this happened a week and a half ago and there were something like two complaints. The Mail get involved and there's now over 10,000 including the PM and the odious little turd Cameron. The power of the press and the cult of celebrity indeed!

I'm not defending an incident which I'm sure eveyone agrees was wrong, but I will defend the two broadcasters I like. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but they're mine. By all means punish 'em, but I'd hate to see either sacked, my drive to work would be a lot less interesting without them.

Matt Timson

What PVS and Pete said pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Pffft...

Richmond Clements

I detest Brand. He's less than talented really- I mean, what can he actually do?

I like Ross though- as has been said, his radio show is sometimes superb.

WoD

When Ross 'works at it' he can be very good (on TV and Radio), but sometimes he is just coasting and it shows...and he shouldn't do it - not when he's on the money he's on and I'm sure other people could be doing the job just as good.

Not really interested in this particualr story as it has become a witch hunt and it is clogging the news.

IndigoPrime

Amusing to see how almost every report is ignoring the fact Sachs was supposed to be interviewed on the show, and therefore the entire incident would not have happened had he not reneged on his deal. Also, the fact the segment went out (which was ill-advised) is down to poor editorial decisions more than anything.

What's most notable, however, is how fucking stupid this country is. We can quickly enough get 10,000 people riled about some smutty phone call to which one of the offenders has already personally apologised, but I'll bet almost none of those 10,000 have ever, say, written to their MP or complained about something that actually matters.

The level of reporting in this country right now—even on the BBC—is absolutely disgraceful.

House of Usher

I read that Russell Brand earns £200,000 for his radio show, and that the BBC is facing a fine of up to £250,000 from OfCom. So Russell Brand's not exactly earning his keep, is he? At the very least Jonathan Ross should be handing back a sizeable chunk of his enormous salary to make make good the damage he's done. Obviously as the employer and broadcaster, the BBC is responsible for what goes out on air. But that doesn't absolve Ross and Brand of responsibility. The BBC has a responsibility to ensure its employees uphold broadcasting standards, and that includes disciplinary measures if they let the side down. Both Brand and Ross messed up. If you're going to make a career out of being edgy and risky you will mess up now and then. It goes with the territory. Then you have to pay the price. Then you have to hope for other opportunities to mess up in the future, but you shouldn't expect those opportunities to come from the same employer.
STRIKE !!!

the shutdown man

I hadn't heard the show either (no major surprise there) but any opinion I have on this story is biased by an unholy hatred of Russell Brand. I'm somewhat fond of Ross, but he can be a bit of a twat at times.

I do think what they did was pretty nasty, and maybe fines or even sacking is justified here (okay, sacking may be a bit much, but like I say I hate Brand, so I'd kinda like to see him gone). But to have it plastered on every front page, giving it a name (Manuelgate), getting the fucking PM involved? Does Gordon Brown have nothing better to do?  Like, running a country, that sort of thing? Or is this just a cynical attempt to show that "we know what's going on in the real world too".
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "House of Usher"Both Brand and Ross messed up.
In what way? My understanding is that this was a pre-recorded show. Therefore, someone cleared this for broadcast. That's why we have producers and editors, to ensure things that shouldn't go out don't go out.

And, for crying out loud, they had about two complaints from people who actually listened to the show. Yes, apologies to Sachs were warranted, but the entire deluge of subsequent complaints (including one from Gordon Brown—don't you think there are more important things to deal with right now, Mr. PM, sir, like our imploding economy?) were down to the Daily Mail whipping everyone up into a froth-mouthed frenzy.

At best, this entire situation is a massive overreaction. At worst, it pretty much highlights the worst of this country.

House of Usher

Quote from: "the shutdown man"any opinion I have on this story is biased by an unholy hatred of Russell Brand. I'm somewhat fond of Ross, but he can be a bit of a twat at times.
And I'm somewhat fond of Russell Brand. I can see how his being something of a media hate figure contributed to this whole business being blown out of proportion in the first place. Jonathan Ross has his detractors, largely because he gets away with having it both ways: cozying up to the establishment and sticking two fingers up to it at the same time, and because he's vastly overpaid at the public's expense, and he's a terrible oik into the bargain.

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"That's why we have producers and editors, to ensure things that shouldn't go out don't go out.
That doesn't let them off the hook in the least.

Quotethe entire deluge of subsequent complaints was down to the Daily Mail whipping everyone up into a froth-mouthed frenzy.
Agreed.

QuoteAt best, this entire situation is a massive overreaction. At worst, it pretty much highlights the worst of this country.
Yes, and yes. Really, this is a matter between Andrew Sachs, Georgina Baille, Jonathan Ross, Russell Brand, the BBC and OfCom. Anyone else who's offended by it needs their head checked. We can all form our own opinions about it. I've formed mine, which is the BBC should sack them both. But none of us not directly involved in the matter has any business demanding anything of the sort. If Ross and Brand's tasteless antics went unpunished the world wouldn't come to an end any quicker than it's already doing, but the BBC would look very weak and not in control of its output.
STRIKE !!!

Matt Timson

Both suspended.  What a joke.  Power of the reactionary press at work.
 :roll:
Pffft...

Mardroid

Quote from: "Matt Timson"Both suspended.  What a joke.  Power of the reactionary press at work.
 :roll:
There you go: //http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/entertainment/2008/10/29/sack_brand_and_ross?vmsrc=vmhpld

The papers might have blown it out of proportion, but I think this was the right decision. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to sack them though, but some form of punishment is in order. And an apology to the family etc. (Although I think that's been done already.)

WoD

Just listened to it on youtube...couldn't resist...had to be 'informed'.  Wasn't that funny, was pretty offensive.  They deserve to be slapped, sacked - maybe not, but to me it went too far.