Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

They got there in the end...

Kenny Baker & Carrie Fisher - both gone within months of each other.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 December, 2016, 04:22:23 PM
This is all getting very complicated. Have these here rebels never heard of Dropbox?

They're obviously in an area with dodgy mobile connections; you know, like Wales.   ::)

The Legendary Shark

Faster than light propulsion, hyperspace mapping technology, gravity manipulation systems, weapons capable of reducing planets to pebbles and techniques for the practical application of remote strangulation - but poor Wi-Fi.

Yep, sounds like Alderaaystwyth all right - best keep your eyes peeled for Uskan Raiders.

I'll get me robes...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

"Porth.  You won't find a greater hive of scum and villainy in the galaxy.  We must be careful butt!"

TordelBack

The Legendary Shark

Heh. I think I'll step away from this before I fall bach into any residual 70s* racial stereotyping clinging on from my formative cultural brainwashing, oggy, oggy, oggy, iznit and so forth.

*I know, because I was there.

Oh, what a giveaway!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 December, 2016, 04:28:52 PM
Scardiff?

Not enough rain!  Plus you wouldn't have stormtroopers running around everywhere, more likely Valley Commandoes staggering around after a night out.

Dr Feeley Good

Finally watched it last night...really enjoyed it,hundred times better than the force awakens...

shaolin_monkey

Just back from my second viewing, this time in 4DX! Smoke, wind, rain, weird smells, and a chair that rocks violently back and forth and pummels you in the back. It was like a two hour Star Wars funfair ride!! Plus 3D, which I was pleasantly surprised by.  I don't think I'd fork out the extra bob for any other film, but if you're a Star Wars fan, do it the once for the shits and giggles - it was a right laugh!

Anyway, on second viewing I was able to relax and really enjoy it. It's not perfect, but is definitely the best of the new bunch. I watched Jedi the other night, and you know what? I think Rogue One might actually be on a par with it.

That scene at the end with Vader brutally exterminating the Rebels is still incredible.

Of course, with the recent news of Carrie Fisher's death, the very final moment of the film was very happy/sad. I think some of the smoke got in my eye a bit.

SIP

I have also seen it twice now, first time in imax 3D and the second time in standard 2d. The cgi characters looked way better in the 2d version, and will look even better on a tv screen.

I think there are structure problems with the film - the first hour feels a little messy. It is also lacking the fun factor that force awakens and the original films have had and I don't think it's as re-watchable.

I still really enjoyed it but it falls behind all of the originals, the force awakens and revenge of the sith for me, despite the 30 seconds of Vader being one of the best things ever.

Managed to spot chopper and the ghost on the second viewing that had completely passed me by on first viewing.

Richard

Saw it tonight and thought it was brilliant. The franchise is definitely in safe hands.

That scene with Vader made me wish that they'll remake episodes 1 to 3, and 3 can just be Vader massacring everybody for two hours.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 December, 2016, 05:17:36 PM

Was ruminating on SW matters during a long drive today, and it occured to me that R1 both suggests a new plot problem in ANH, and simultaneously solves a long-standing one. In the first instance,[spoiler] the rather pointless presence of R2 and 3PO at the Yavin base strongly implies that Leia was not the only person on board the Tantive IV who knew the location of the Hidden Fortress - as has been argued in the past as the reason her resistance to Imperial torture was so important, despite the numerous prisoners we see being taken above Tatooine.

Now, despite Vader's best efforts there must have been a hell of a lot of prisoners taken on the Rebel flagship at Scarif, probably including Admiral Raddus and his staff - so while we can accept that Leia holds out against interrogation as Vader asserts, it seems impossible that everyone with this knowledge did.

The positive side of this is that it explains why Leia is happy to let the Falcon be tracked to Yavin - she knows that someone is going to spill the beans sooner rather than later, if they haven't already, so she may as well get there as fast as she can.[/spoiler]

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 December, 2016, 05:17:36 PM

I've been thinking about this and it could be that [spoiler]the majority of the crew don't know the location of the rebel base. They're in a ship, like submariners in a submarine, with no way of knowing where they've surfaced or come out of hyperspace. Only the officers of the ship, and a handful of top ranking rebels like Leia, need know the co-ordinates or even the planet's name. 3PO and R2 may stop over at the Yavin base but that doesn't mean they know where they are. The base would most likely be referred to as a number or code name amongst those with no need to know specifics. True, once the crew has disembarked at the base the chances of them finding out where they are increase but I'd guess security protocols and culture would prevent anyone actually talking about it. All anyone need know is that they are on a moon orbiting a red gas giant, which could be any one of a million worlds.

Those officers and officials, or at least some of them, might have taken to escape pods and been killed (iIrc, the pod in which C3PO and R2D2 escaped was not fired upon because it showed no life signs, possibly implying that manned pods had been targeted and destroyed). Given the sensitivity of the information, it is possible that the officers in possession of it made sure, either through suicide attacks or just plain suicide, to keep it secret. It is not entirely impossible, in such circumstances, for Leia to be the only surviving prisoner with the relevant knowledge.

It is also possible that Vader may have been subconsciously fascinated with his daughter - mistaking a paternal instinct for one of suspicion. He knows there's something about her but doesn't quite know what and assumes her secrets are all about the rebellion, thus Vader is blinded or blinkered into focusing his efforts on her and not the rest of the prisoners.

Also, Leia may be "happy" to let the Falcon be tracked to Yavin because she knows that's where the stolen plans will do the most good. If the Death Star's going there anyway, she may as well get there first with the vital plans. This might make Leia a tactical if somewhat desperate genius, turning Yavin into a trap for the Death Star. Her initial plan, when neither the Rebellion knew the location of the Death Star nor the Empire knew the location of the rebel base, was to simply safeguard the plans until the Death Star could be located and attacked. She used Yavin as the perfect bait to draw the Death Star out, with the Falcon as the lure, because running off to hide on Dantooine would give the Empire time to think and time for the Death Star's crew to grow more proficient. Or maybe she just blundered about and made the best of it. Either way - BOOM! [/spoiler]

I think the next Star Wars Story should be about the team sent to free prisoners from the Death Star before it blew.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 December, 2016, 12:11:57 AM
That scene at the end with Vader brutally exterminating the Rebels is still incredible.

For me the ending chase was the best part of the movie.  The absolute hopelessness of the rebel soldiers in the fight against Daft Aida had a real sense of breath-catching-in-your-throat desperation.  The rest of it was good - a million times better than The Force Awakens - but that part was brilliant.  I'll happily watch it again on DVD.  It felt a bit 'fan fictiony' in places and the start jumped about over too many locations but overall it was pretty good.

I loved all the little nods and it was great seeing 'proper' Star Wars gear again.  The 'early' storm trooper armour in the prequels and the later design in The Force Awakens just don't look as good as the classic gear.  I also liked the faithfulness in recreating Yavin base, the lookalikes (Mon Motha and the bearded general (Dantanna?) etc), even the rank badges the rebels used.  That's how to do it, TFA people!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

radiator

Quote from: sheridan on 19 December, 2016, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: radiator on 18 December, 2016, 06:13:33 PM
So people actually liked the Vader scenes?

The groanworthy pun? The fact that he was desperately shoe-horned in, and served zero purpose in the story other than to upstage the bland actual villain of the movie? The way his hyperkinetic, over the top fight/massacre scene was jarringly in contrast to the lumbering space gangster figure we meet in the original movie?

Shoe-horned in?  I can't see how they could present the film without him - the film which follows directly afterwards starts in the middle of him chasing Princess Leia's corvette!

Only if you need the dots joined between this film and that in the most literal, on the nose way imaginable. Imo it is the (comically overly literal) ending of RotS all over again, except this time people are eating it up rather than ridiculing it.

Darth Vader has nothing to do with the events of this movie*, was reportedly not in John Knoll's original pitch for this movie, as evidenced in the original Star Wars doesn't give two shits about the Death Star and has very little to do with it specifically, and is only in this movie at all so Disney can get bums on seats and shift merch.

*Seriously. Try to describe his role and function in the plot of Rogue One and what would be lost, other than blatant fan service, if he wasn't in it.

Quotehundred times better than the force awakens...

I feel completely the opposite way - in fact, Rogue One felt so utterly flat and characterless to me that it's made me appreciate TFA a little more in retrospect for at least managing to have somewhat likable, memorable characters.

shaolin_monkey

Oh dear!  Is Rogue One turning out to be the Marmite of all the Star Wars films?!   :o :lol: