Main Menu

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 24 July, 2019, 09:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2024, 03:24:38 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 03:02:30 PMmet with pushback from, again, all the usual suspects.

This is what breaks my heart, and baffles me.  That wanting to expediating the destruction of our species among all the other ones we're detroying, versus not wanting to, are seen as two sides of a political divide, and that the former has anything close to as much validity as the latter.  That they're seen as opposing opinions, rather than observable facts versus bullshit, is a genuine mystery to me.

In my view, this is one of the symptoms of our current political system. Every argument has to be simplified and seen through the left/right paradigm.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Hi Lorenzo. I get that the goal is to prevent run-off into protected areas but buying up and shutting down farms seems to me an extreme solution that will negatively impact rural economies and communities. Istr that the Dutch farmers had already decreased their nitrogen use by around 50% over the last few decades so it's not as if they haven't been trying.

Barry, I'm with you on the treatment of animals and the cruelty in intensive farming. Rolling back to smaller herds might alleviate much of this unnecessary animal suffering. However, while we continue to labour under this stupid money-based economic system we've saddled ourselves with, cruelty (to both humans and animals) will remain, sadly, cost-efficient. 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2024, 05:20:45 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2024, 03:24:38 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 03:02:30 PMmet with pushback from, again, all the usual suspects.

This is what breaks my heart, and baffles me.  That wanting to expediating the destruction of our species among all the other ones we're detroying, versus not wanting to, are seen as two sides of a political divide, and that the former has anything close to as much validity as the latter.  That they're seen as opposing opinions, rather than observable facts versus bullshit, is a genuine mystery to me.

In my view, this is one of the symptoms of our current political system. Every argument has to be simplified and seen through the left/right paradigm.

That's not quite what I meant, but it's not really something I want to argue about right now. Sorry.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2024, 12:38:50 PMI'll give you that it's a warranted assumption in that I posted the video on my own channel to exclusively link here, so I know how many views it's had and when.

I said I wouldn't contribute to this farce again because I frankly do have better things to be doing right now but this is too perfect not for me to illustrate two key points here.

1) Thats not how the view counter works. If you imbed a video into a post, as you did, and it is viewed, as I did, YT has no way of knowing the video has been viewed. You have to actually visit the URL itself. Thats before we even factor in how jank YTs view counter is, it's been known to ignore views by users utilising certain adblockers for a start. Hardly a optimal for the reasons you seemed intent on.
2) And far more importantly, who the hell does that? Really, who does this? Who posts a copy of a video widely available on the same platform for this self confessed reason? Solely to eventually pull the 'Ha! Caught You!' card even likely (I hope) knowing the above factor I just outlined. This really and truly does feed into what Funt has been saying about your blatant tendency to manipulate the conversation each, and every, time. I truly wish I understood why you insist upon doing this mate, really I do, and that comes from a place a genuine affection. You used to be tight, bit odd but then join the club, but as the last 5 or so years have dragged on your troubling tendencies just continue to multiply. It's quite upsetting, actually.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 03:02:30 PMIt's also sobering to read the biomass estimates that people have started working on, and seeing how battle alone account for over a third of mammal biomass, and livestock overall for close to two thirds. Wild mammals? 4%. And yet even making UK farms slightly more hospitable to endangered wildlife (along with using land in a mixed fashion, eg for solar) met with pushback from, again, all the usual suspects.

It's a staggering and worrisome, I have a cousin who worked out on a cattle ranch in northern Australia for a 6 month tenure. Came back a vegan, as you mention the sheer scale of the biomass used for beef production has a far greater impact than simply the methane emissions.
I'm largely steering towards a pescatarian diet myself going forwards, fisheries and wild catches have their own share of the burden to bare but it does at least feel like a step in the right direction.

IndigoPrime

We would have gone vegetarian here, had the wife and I not ended up getting fairly major late onset allergy conditions. That left her with anaphylaxis for nuts and common UK fruits. I can no longer tolerate most grains (including, worryingly, even non-white rice), quite a few fruits, a lot of veg, and most nuts. So we do eat a fair amount of meat, but not out of choice.

The Legendary Shark

I posted the video that way because I couldn't embed it from where it was. It was only after I watched it a couple of times through the embedding that I noticed the view counter click up. I didn't do it this way "Solely to eventually pull the 'Ha! Caught You!' card," although in retrospect the stats are interesting. The video is saved as "unlisted," so maybe that makes a difference to how the counter works. (Those atrocious Christmas songs I posted to the Advent Calendar were hosted in exactly the same way, unlisted and linked solely here, and they all have multiple view counts - amazingly.) 

I am certainly willing to entertain the possibility that YT isn't giving me correct information - perhaps everyone who commented watched it and YT didn't get the stats right. If that is the case then I apologise unreservedly for my assumption.

A lot has happened in the last five years, and a lot is happening now. I think what I may be projecting is an increasing frustration with the Punch and Judy show of mainstream politics which just serves to turn as many people as possible against one another and deflect attention away from the real agendas going on in the background. Agendas that are killing people all over the world, maybe by accident or maybe on purpose, maybe both. 

Don't worry, though, I'm not going to go all Rambo. I don't believe any human being should ever harm another, except in the most extreme defensive circumstances. Violence is seldom the answer and never the question, so don't be upset about me turning to that because it's never going to happen. Perhaps my "troubling tendency" is to poke holes in the mainstream narratives, in which case, relax. That's not a troubling tendency, that's a moral duty.

You know I love you Hawkie, and I always will. It's sad we don't talk any more.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2024, 09:12:28 PMI am certainly willing to entertain the possibility that YT isn't giving me correct information

You may quote me on that.

Le Fink

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 07:55:30 PMWe would have gone vegetarian here, had the wife and I not ended up getting fairly major late onset allergy conditions. That left her with anaphylaxis for nuts and common UK fruits. I can no longer tolerate most grains (including, worryingly, even non-white rice), quite a few fruits, a lot of veg, and most nuts. So we do eat a fair amount of meat, but not out of choice.

That is a tough break. I've had to stop eating some fruit and nuts raw due to late onset allergy symptoms, but fruit, nuts, veg and grains as well, man that is unfortunate. Doesn't leave you with much.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 07:55:30 PMwe do eat a fair amount of meat, but not out of choice.

Start eating other people. Think of it as an environmental move — you're removing all their future carbon emissions from climate change equation, whilst also reducing your own by avoiding farmed animals in your diet.

If you like the idea, I have a list of people you could start with...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

A Modest Proposal, but one I can get behind
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 February, 2024, 11:11:29 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 February, 2024, 07:55:30 PMwe do eat a fair amount of meat, but not out of choice.

Start eating other people. Think of it as an environmental move — you're removing all their future carbon emissions from climate change equation, whilst also reducing your own by avoiding farmed animals in your diet.

If you like the idea, I have a list of people you could start with...

'Issei Sagawa has entered the group chat'

I know 'Eat the Rich' has rather been co-opted ineffectual libertarianism but if we where to go back to the grass roots of the sentiment I'd be down...

IndigoPrime

TBF, if I told the dreadful NHS allergist I've been dealing with that my symptoms have got to the point my only source of food is other people, that might actually give them the kick up the bum I need to start taking what I have seriously. There's the small risk of other ramifications, mind, such as life in prison for a range of horrific crimes.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Le Fink on 10 February, 2024, 08:36:22 AMI've had to stop eating some fruit and nuts raw due to late onset allergy symptoms, but fruit, nuts, veg and grains as well, man that is unfortunate. Doesn't leave you with much.
It's such an odd thing. I had no idea about OAS and other late onset stuff. We became aware of it VERY quickly when my wife had a massive allergic reaction to an apple. It was really scary. (Also shit for her, because she was trying to do the right thing and be healthy for lunch.) I've not had anything like that. My symptoms have just been a slow worsening of symptoms when eating, and gradually removing things from my diet. I'm just hoping potatoes and white rice can stick around, or things are going to get very tricky regarding bulk.