Main Menu

Drokk!! - a rival to SpaceSpinner 2000??

Started by AlexF, 06 February, 2019, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Word is, there's a new podcast in town, reviewing all of Judge Dredd, in order.
Details to be found here:
http://www.waitwhatpodcast.com/wait-what-ep-264/,
- but you have to the end. (or download the episode and fast forward by about 2 hours!)

It's being co-hosted by comics/pop-culture journalist Graeme MacMillan, who's appeared on the Thrillcast at least twice already, so it's in good hands. (Wait, What?, his main podcast, is bizarrely entertaining and listenable, despite the general rambling tone. I guess it's down to the chemistry with his co-host, which is on the same level of infectious as Fox 'n Conrad.

Apparently it kicks off next week...

Frankly, what has me most excited are the comments at the bottom of the above-linked post, in which their American listeners get very excited to find out more about Dredd.

Who'd have thought that the best way to promote the joys of 2000AD, a silent comic, would be via podcast, an auditory-only experience...

Rogue Judge

SpaceSpinner 2000 has no rival! viva la  Fox & Conrad! *Friend of the show!*

Honestly (as a North American) I have no one else to really talk to about my passion for 2000 AD (The comics, the art, the creators etc.) so I get great joy from listening to both Space Spinner 2000 and the Mega City Book Club podcasts. It's great to hear others enjoying the comics I've become obsessed with.

(I also discovered Heroes of 2000 a.d. via MCBC and have began reading through it from the beginning - today I read No.14 Robbie Morrison, next up is the Dreddcount part 1. Fantastic effort, much appreciated!)

With that said, there is so much Dredd to cover and so many perspectives that I think there is always room for more - hopefully this is more of a complement than a competitor.

Colin YNWA

Had a prod around the Podcast advertising this and they certainly seem to have the relaxed chit chatty relationship that makes these things work (well as long as you don't take it too far and forget folks are there to listen about comics and related stuff and not middle aged men belly aching as some podcasts seem to forget!). Be really interesting to see how they handle the amount of content and they seem to have a good grip on that.

Will defo check this out, thanks for the heads up.

AlexF

The two hosts, Graeme and Jeff, talk about 2000AD at least a little bit on most episodes of Wait, What?, they're big fans. They have a deep abiding love of Zombo, for one.
I'm sure they'll give their own background when they start putting out the Drokk spinoff, but as far as I can tell Graeme (the Scot) grew up reading 2000AD in the early 80s, and has kept in touch ever since. Jeff  (the American), has read bits of Dredd here and there before reading 2000AD on the regular in recent years, so I imagine the early stuff will be brand new to him. As with Conrad and Fox, it's likely to yield a fun dynamic of opinions / appreciation.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 February, 2019, 07:48:14 AM
(well as long as you don't take it too far and forget folks are there to listen about comics and related stuff and not middle aged men belly aching as some podcasts seem to forget!)

Everything comes back to that.

Dandontdare

SpaceSpinner2000

Gotta check this one out! Of course there's always room for more 2000AD based podcasting!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Monarch

always happy for more podcasts to listen to

Steve Green

Great!

Imagine Space Spinner will get some crossover too anyway, as this one is concentrating on Dredd casefiles.

Dandontdare

I can see how to play that from the website , but can't see how I can download to play later where threse's no wifi - am I being dense and missing something?

Leigh S

Aha- I see it is up!

http://www.waitwhatpodcast.com/category/podcasts/drokk/

Listening to the last "Wait What" podcast, they do seem to get very analytical, which should make for an interesting listen if they do the same here.... let's see!

Leigh S

That was excellent listening! So many good insights (already got "The Spirit" parallels, the idea Dredd vs technology rather than the Citizens, but how the strip really clicks in when the citizens lack of impulse control vs Dredds absolute impulse control becomes the focus) and new info - Bill Ward was an older American Artist? 

Doesn't tread on the toes of Space Spinner but is a perfect accompaniment to it  listen to SS to get the details and reaction, and this to get the analysis - Zarjaz!

AlexF

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 February, 2019, 07:17:12 PM
I can see how to play that from the website , but can't see how I can download to play later where threse's no wifi - am I being dense and missing something?

I don't know how to do it from the website - I get the podcast by subscribing to Wait, What? on my iTunes podcast app. I imagine you can find + download episodes through any of the usual podcast apps, although I think you'd have to search for 'Wait What?' as the umbrella show, with episodes labelled 'Drokk!' coming out as part of that feed.

WhizzBang

That was nice and they clearly know a lot about comics. I know nothing about comics outside of 2000AD, Viz and The Beano so couldn't really relate to some of the stuff discussed but could understand the general context (e.g. Will Eisner must be somebody highly respected in the US comic scene).

The joke at the end of the Return Of Rico has never bothered me, in fact I think it pretty cool that such a high quality early strip can end on a gag that would have gone over many readers heads anyway.

Also, they found the smokatorium story to be a corny anti-smoking thing but that is not I have always seen it. In the 1970's smoking would have been far more prevelant than it is today with people smoking at work, in restaurants, in planes, on trains, basically everywhere. Health warnings had started to appear on packaging and restrictions to advertising were just starting to creep in and I can well imagine many smokers feeling their rights were being eroded, which they were. Smokatorium takes this to what would have seemed like an extreme in 1977 but doesn't look so extreme now where many things once common place with regards to smoking are now illegal.

Colin YNWA

That was a great listen. Don't necessarily agree with everything said - but then that's half the fun. The Eisner comparison is pretty shallow at this stage and its something that's better served later in the series. I also think they sometimes over look at things in a way that if you say enough things will stick BUT they are clearly knowledgable and thoughtful and definately hit more than they miss.

Great stuff and I'm really looking forward to how this will develop. Once a month may feel like a long wait since we're been treated so well by Conrad and Fox but well worth it.