Main Menu

'New'-comer to 2000AD...

Started by betelgeuse, 21 October, 2010, 05:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betelgeuse

Hi all,
I'm a 25 year-old film (and general) geek. I've loved comics since I was young.
In my late teens I temporarily turned into a teenage werewolf and lost my way abit. However in my mid 20s I have resumed my geeky ways have returned with a vengeance (as if I was experiencing somekind of teenage fugue); stigmatism, ill fitting glasses, extensive comic and dvd collection etcetera...

As a kid I used to be fascinated with Judge Dredd, but only bought the odd Dredd Megazine and watched the Hollywood Stallone vehicle...

Having rewatched Spaced this year with its numerous references to 2000AD, I remembered my childhood interest and invested in some issues of the Dredd megazine once more, and recently bought the last 8 weeks-worth of 2000AD progs, making it my preferred Judge Dredd publication.

Being the aforementioned film geek I am, I love the way the character of Judge Dredd can be seen as an amalgam of various filmic characters. With Dredd's snarling prowess and embodiment of justice I'd liken him to Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no name' the western 'gun-for-hire', or Harry Callahan from the Dirty Harry movies - Dredd is the 'enforcer' - the 'lawgiver' of Mega-City-One, enforcing faceless justice in a way that rivals and often succeeds the like of Bale's growling Batman. And of course, if you wish, Dredd can be a Bruce Willis type hardman or a Stallone action-hero.

My only hope is that Karl Urban (not a man I would have picked for the job) and the forthcoming DREDD film deliver the goods.

Grant Goggans

Not many men would be bold enough to admit their time spent as a werewolf.  Welcome to the forum!

SmallBlueThing

I spend much of the nineties as a shadmock, maybe we met?
Welcome to the board! Hope you're liking the prog. Pick up the Meg too!
SBT

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard and have fun. Don't forget there's a world of trades out there to help you catch up.

betelgeuse

Thanks!

what do you mean by 'a world of trades'?

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Colin YNWA

Quote from: betelgeuse on 21 October, 2010, 11:00:49 PM
Thanks!

what do you mean by 'a world of trades'?

Just loads of collection volumes (trade paperbacks) with plenty of past stories in them.

dweezil2

I hope you're alright NOW..OOOOOOOH!

Welcome to the forum!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

betelgeuse

QuoteJust loads of collection volumes (trade paperbacks) with plenty of past stories in them

aaahh, thats what i thought...yep will definately look into paperbacks and such. cheers.

Dandontdare

welcome aboard. It's great to see so many new readers signing up these days!

Emperor

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 21 October, 2010, 06:34:52 PM
Not many men would be bold enough to admit their time spent as a werewolf.

Indeed, one of my flatmates at Uni was a werewolf and he got really miffed about us joking about it.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

vzzbux

Greetings.
I spent my latter teenage years as a pissed up twat.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.