Main Menu

Mac Mail installation help :

Started by PeterWolf, 19 January, 2008, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

I bought this computer in august.I set it it up myself and followed all the protocols.Setting up a Mac is virtually idiot proof anyway as software is already installed.

One of the facilities you get is a .Mac Email account.

At no point during the set up did i register and set up an .Mac account as i have been using an existing email account.

So now i want to use the .Mac account.When i attempt to do this i get asked for my user name and password.I *dont* have a .Mac username/password because i havent opened the account and registered a username /password but the fact i have to enter something that i dont have to proceed further implies that i have already registered.

It doesnt make any sense at all and obviously there isnt a way to navigate around this problem within the computer as the only way is through the .Mac servers.

So i am effectivly locked out of that system and there is no facility to be sent reminders etc by email.

This is a seperate password / username than that needed to upgrade the hard drive and make changes to the OSX software.

Reinstalling may work .

I hate to waste anyones time as i can go to the Macshop on monday but does anyone have any ideas in the meantime ?

Fuktifiknow

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

PW

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Your .mac e-mail address is your user name. However, .mac isn't free - you may have been given a trial with your machine, but there's an annual fee for the service.

I suspect that your trial period has probably expired and you'll have to register as a new user and pay ...

Sorry!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Thanks for that.I thought that might be the case but  i got the impression that that may have been an upgrade to a whole lot of other facilities like all the stuff you see on the .Mac mail webpage where you sign up.

Its a bit disappointing that having bought "an expensive lifestyle item " i would at least get a free email facility but there you go.

You have confirmed my fears as being true.

Oh well !     [heaves a sigh....]

All the best

PW
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death