Main Menu

Does my (a.i.)art look big in This?

Started by The Legendary Shark, 23 January, 2024, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, you did say that, and you weren't far wrong. I've very recently left a part time English teaching job too- it's not the main reason I left, but a part of it was that my classes on CVs and cover letters used to be hugely valuable to my students, whereas now that can be done instantly without any classes at all.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

It's definitely changed things. I recently had to do an emergency takeover of a game development class, and they're using a game engine I'm not overly familiar with. I've been leaning on AI to get to potential solutions quickly without having to ramp-learn a game engine's code interface.

The only saving grace is that you have to know the right question to ask, and when you're getting a sensible answer. So, I'm still fairly useful.

(My colleague's childish attempt to make their first game in the early 90s by typing "a really good boxing game" into a text file and hoping for magic to happen is still, I think, not here. It is closer, though.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

A.Cow

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 April, 2024, 10:41:06 AMSpeaking as someone who makes a living out of drawing and painting, AI art is deeply worrying .

Six years ago, I delivered an educational lecture to a group of TV production students at a local university about the (contemporary) nascent use of AI/ML in the media production sector, highlighting examples in video editing and vocal & music production.  What really rammed it home was when one student -- who shot live match footage/highlights for a local League One football club -- realised with unpleasant shock (and quite a few expletives) that already-available, off-the-shelf software could do most of his job.

We've known for a long time that this was inevitable.  Heck, Kenny Who? was published nearly 40 years ago!  Many people had just presumed it was further away, so have ignored the doom-mongering this last decade.

Much as we might moan, we all have to adapt to this new world.  After all, there are not many jobs nowadays for knocker-uppers, telegram messengers or VCR repairers these days.

Funt Solo

Quote from: A.Cow on 13 April, 2024, 01:31:04 AMMuch as we might moan, we all have to adapt to this new world.  After all, there are not many jobs nowadays for knocker-uppers, telegram messengers or VCR repairers these days.

I'd like to argue that artistic expression is rather different, in that the intention of the artist seems rather to be a part of the piece (alongside the reaction of the audience).

I'm never going to be able to express this feeling as well as this person: How to Replace the Sky
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pauljholden

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 April, 2024, 10:21:54 PM(My colleague's childish attempt to make their first game in the early 90s by typing "a really good boxing game" into a text file and hoping for magic to happen is still, I think, not here. It is closer, though.)

This is unrelated, but when I got my first computer - an Amstrad CPC464 in 1984 our neighbour came round and said and wanting to be impressed by what computers could do, she said "Ask it where my Victor[her husband] is" we all laughed because it was a preposterous, don't be silly. But of course, I am frequently asking my phone where my kids are.

Funt Solo

Another thought I had was about a person's involvement in a highly-skilled pursuit. The example "knocker-upper", one assumes, would not feel bereft at the invention of alarm clocks. They may feel a loss of income and wonder what other avenues to explore, but the knocking-up (*ahem*) was presumably a bit of a trudge, as employment goes.

On the other hand, when someone is in love with their work to the extent that it is a core aspect of their lives...

Bristol tailor's 'heart crying' as he retires after 54 years
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 April, 2024, 10:41:06 AMFortunately mass-produced AI systems can't climb ladders and paint murals yet. 
It looks like it's a race against time for you to produce your magnum opus so, Jayzus.
You know: the self portrait on the west face of Liberty Hall.
You, firm-jawed but avuncular, surrounded by happy workers, soldiers, peasants, and children in traditional costume, with a backdrop of wheat fields and hydroelectric power stations stretching to the horizon.
It's the mural that Dublin needs.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgeurko

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.