The big fat COLOURING thread

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 16 May, 2012, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Skullmo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 29 June, 2012, 06:25:24 PM
I wasn't going to mention Craddock but then you did.

OH MY GOD I JUST HAD A GREAT IDEA FOR A BOARD COMPETITION. Everyone gets a b/w page from the pit and re-colours it. It'd be fcking magic.

Where can you get a black and white Pit page? If I could get it in b&W I would!
It's a joke. I was joking.

CrazyFoxMachine

There are quite a few floating about on google image search - only a few are in a decent size...

It WOULD be good to get together and re-colour The Pit.....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Skullmo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 July, 2012, 10:58:58 AM
There are quite a few floating about on google image search - only a few are in a decent size...

It WOULD be good to get together and re-colour The Pit.....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I feel an art competition coming on!

Speaking of which how about:

2000ad character in a different age: What would happen if Slaine were a Sci Fi Warrior, Dredd a current day police man, Johnny Alpha a cowboy?

mygrimmbrother

I'd be up for colouring some classic Cam Kennedy Rogue pages, or McMahon Slaine... that'd be fantastic in fact. Anyone know how we can get good quality scans?

Anyway, I should probably post this in the El Bigote thread, but I'm sticking it here - the legend that is SHAKY KANE's cover art for '13 Dead Federales', with colours by meself. Absolutely loved doing this one.

locustsofdeath!

Over on facebook, Shaky himself just gave mygrimmbrother compliments on the coloring! Nice one, grimm!

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

That is a fabulous piece of colouring grimm :)
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Danbo

I need advice on how to get more atmosphere into my coloring,I'm new to it and don't know where to look? I'm going to lurk around here for a while methinks...
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Skullmo

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 07 July, 2012, 01:54:20 PM
I need advice on how to get more atmosphere into my coloring,I'm new to it and don't know where to look? I'm going to lurk around here for a while methinks...

Look at painters - I find that trying to create painting effects in computer colouring gives you your own style.

Great colourists that spring to mind are Matt Hollingsworth (who did Preacher) and Chris Blythe (who does a lot of Dredd. Its worth copying their stuff to try to work out how tey do it.

Hope that helps

Danbo

Thanks,I'm going to have a look at those guys right now ;)

The moody Matt stuff is what I'm talking about  ;)

Cpt Rhodes

I kind of take the veiw that it's the lightsources that  bring the dynamic to the colouring.
If you approach it that way it might help to get the look you are after.
PM me if I can help you with psd breakdown/examples of lighting pictures.

flip-r mk2

Hobbycraft has just opened up in nearby Falkirk so I treated myself to a Letraset Promarker set ( no Copics ) and here's the result, Lulu Romanov, unfortunately no flesh tones in the promarker range.

filip     
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Danbo

Right,had another crack,still trying to get used to gradients and it's a bit scruffy close up but I feel like I'm learning  :)

Danbo

Quote from: Alex on 10 July, 2012, 03:08:57 PM

I kind of take the veiw that it's the lightsources that  bring the dynamic to the colouring.
If you approach it that way it might help to get the look you are after.
PM me if I can help you with psd breakdown/examples of lighting pictures.
Thanks  :),I'm trying to think light,had about 3 attempts....I'm that much off a noob I have know idea what a psd breakdown is  :-[   

One other thing i could do with knowing is what brushes to colour with?

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 14 July, 2012, 05:21:50 PM
Right,had another crack,still trying to get used to gradients and it's a bit scruffy close up but I feel like I'm learning  :)

Don't be afraid to be a bit more subtle with the colours - and if the light is coming from the left as the shading suggests, then this should be reflected in the background as well. Not bad not bad though - !