Main Menu

Brett Ewins hospitalised by police

Started by CraveNoir, 17 January, 2012, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

The reply by Brett's MP to several boarders seems on the face of it to be very bland but, of course, it will be.  When or if Brett got his medication; what type of medical treatment he's receiving; what are the circumstances of his incarceration are all highly private, personal matters.  Even if his MP knew the answers to these questions, (which I seriously doubt), he is not going to disclose them to people who might then "plaster" it all over the World Wide Web.

Whilst I support the campaign to help Brett and would wish to add my name to it, I think we need to be realistic about what information we're going to be told.  Of course, there's nothing to stop Brett, himself, (or with his permission, his family) from giving out information, which apparently they already have done, but you're not going to get it from his MP.

Judo

they spend silly money on silly things like the olympics and don't even get me started on the edinburgh tram system, while health and care is so under funded. Does anyone know what sort of involvement the social work had with him?

Random rant about public policy and mental health...
A lot of the chaotic state of the care profession comes down to the governments swing between labour and conservatives ie changing public attitudes. The conservatives policy on mental health was to have care homes which was cheap to run but often had ethical issues, especially around keeping disabled people 'out of sight, out of mind'. Labours attitude was that if someone was able to live in their own home, then they should be able to do so, which is very expensive but highly ethical. Now we have the conservatives back in power they have been making severe cuts in funding to the care sector but as there are not enough care homes as labour shut most of them, they can't just go back to their old way. So now we end up with peoples lives caught up in a policy struggle and *dramatic squirrel* this aint a news paper, its peoples lives. Poor funding means inadequate care for the people than need it - either reopen homes or cough up the dough. Ah politics and ethical issues, how upsetting the world is x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

I got a reply back from Steve Pound, he is visiting Brett on Friday, he will let me know what happens and I'll circulate the update.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

JOE SOAP

Emperor

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 March, 2012, 07:02:10 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 24 March, 2012, 07:28:26 PM
A tribute from Henry Flint:

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/for-brett-ewins-from-henry-flint/

That's beautiful.

He wrote a bit more on his blog:

Quotehe was the first professional to contact me when I was 17, 5 years before getting my first break. Thanks for the encouragement, Brett.

http://henryflint.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/tribute-to-brett-ewins/

Emperor

OK Steve has sent me this to circulate to everyone, it sounds like things are improving there:

Quote30th.March 2012.

I visited Brett in Wormwood Scrubs this morning and although it took some time for me to get used to his new heavily bearded appearance I was greatly relieved to find him in far better spirits than when we last spoke.

He is receiving nearly all his medication and lacking only one particular tranquiliser but I'll do what I can to sort this out.

Brett now has his own cell and is producing a huge quantity of writing including work on his novel and many songs and poems.
He has asked me to remind people that the Johnny Nemo collection will be published next year!

We had a typically amazing Brett Ewins conversation for an hour and ranged over Buddhism in Thailand, adventures in Iceland, the art of Edward Lear, the "Black Freighter" pirate comics of the late 1950s/early 1960s,  Henry Thoreau, standards of food available in Hanwell pubs and I almost missed the bombshell that Brett is engaged to marry a world famous singer/performer later this year.
More details of Brett's betrothed to follow!

Brett is pinning his hopes on a bail hearing due within a fortnight and he is very hopeful that he will be allowed home then.
His lyrical description of his longing to walk a country lane and look at the sky proved to me that Brett is not only one of the finest British artists of all time but a Writer of striking beauty and originality.
He is working on a spy novel and I can't wait to read it!

People who know Brett well will be interested to hear that he now has a full luxuriant white beard but is very thin and still has to use his walking cane.
He is currently reading all of Louis Theroux and his mind is as sharp as ever on detail.

At one stage we were talking about Spike Milligan and I mentioned that he used to live in Orme Court off the Bayswater Road. Brett gave the exact address and told me that he used to write to Spike when he was a student at Drayton Manor !

Brett is smoking "to pass the time" and I was told that I could bring in a Postal Order for him to buy some tobacco  but that it had to be made out to the Governor.
When I arrived I was told that I had to post in the order – even though I was actually in the prison at the time!

If anyone is planning to send anything I strongly suggest that you look at the Wormwood Scrubs website for details of what may and may not be sent.

I am very grateful to "mighty emperor" for posting this information and sparing me having to write to the scores of Brett's admirers who have contacted me.

I've known Brett as a neighbour and a constituent for 25 years and I will continue to do all that I can to help at this time.

The prisons minister, Crispin Blunt, is very much aware of the situation and the governor at the Scrubs has received many a message urging better treatment for Brett.

The very considerable improvement in the medical treatment may well reflect these sources of pressure!

I'll try to update you on the bail hearing as soon as possible.

Steve Pound MP,
Ealing North.

Thanks again to Steve for looking into this - we don't want special treatment for Brett, we just wanted the right treatment, and it sounds like he is now getting this.

ming

That's heartening to read, Emps - many thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Colin YNWA

That all sounds very encouraging. Credit to Steven Pound who really seems to be doing what he practically can.

The Legendary Shark

Excellent. Well done Emps and Steve Pound. It's very heartening to hear that Brett's on the up and fingers crossed that his bail hearing goes well.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

klute

Quote from: Emperor on 30 March, 2012, 03:16:58 PM
OK Steve has sent me this to circulate to everyone, it sounds like things are improving there:

Quote30th.March 2012.

I visited Brett in Wormwood Scrubs this morning and although it took some time for me to get used to his new heavily bearded appearance I was greatly relieved to find him in far better spirits than when we last spoke.

He is receiving nearly all his medication and lacking only one particular tranquiliser but I'll do what I can to sort this out.

Brett now has his own cell and is producing a huge quantity of writing including work on his novel and many songs and poems.
He has asked me to remind people that the Johnny Nemo collection will be published next year!

We had a typically amazing Brett Ewins conversation for an hour and ranged over Buddhism in Thailand, adventures in Iceland, the art of Edward Lear, the "Black Freighter" pirate comics of the late 1950s/early 1960s,  Henry Thoreau, standards of food available in Hanwell pubs and I almost missed the bombshell that Brett is engaged to marry a world famous singer/performer later this year.
More details of Brett's betrothed to follow!

Brett is pinning his hopes on a bail hearing due within a fortnight and he is very hopeful that he will be allowed home then.
His lyrical description of his longing to walk a country lane and look at the sky proved to me that Brett is not only one of the finest British artists of all time but a Writer of striking beauty and originality.
He is working on a spy novel and I can't wait to read it!

People who know Brett well will be interested to hear that he now has a full luxuriant white beard but is very thin and still has to use his walking cane.
He is currently reading all of Louis Theroux and his mind is as sharp as ever on detail.

At one stage we were talking about Spike Milligan and I mentioned that he used to live in Orme Court off the Bayswater Road. Brett gave the exact address and told me that he used to write to Spike when he was a student at Drayton Manor !

Brett is smoking "to pass the time" and I was told that I could bring in a Postal Order for him to buy some tobacco  but that it had to be made out to the Governor.
When I arrived I was told that I had to post in the order – even though I was actually in the prison at the time!

If anyone is planning to send anything I strongly suggest that you look at the Wormwood Scrubs website for details of what may and may not be sent.

I am very grateful to "mighty emperor" for posting this information and sparing me having to write to the scores of Brett's admirers who have contacted me.

I've known Brett as a neighbour and a constituent for 25 years and I will continue to do all that I can to help at this time.

The prisons minister, Crispin Blunt, is very much aware of the situation and the governor at the Scrubs has received many a message urging better treatment for Brett.

The very considerable improvement in the medical treatment may well reflect these sources of pressure!

I'll try to update you on the bail hearing as soon as possible.

Steve Pound MP,
Ealing North.

Thanks again to Steve for looking into this - we don't want special treatment for Brett, we just wanted the right treatment, and it sounds like he is now getting this.

Awesome news i'm pained as to why it took some PRESSURE to sort this out shouldn't his medical background and situation have been enough? nevermind the main thing is he's doing better.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Emperor

Emperor

And now Bleeding Cool:

www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/01/when-stephen-pound-mp-visited-brett-ewins/

Which gets listed on Google News, which is handy if people are monitoring that for updates:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=brett+ewins&tbm=nws

CrazyFoxMachine

Amazing and excellent news - Has anyone had a look at those sending guidelines - would they accept the inevitable Mark Howard Thank You Brett tribute comic?

Modern Panther

Unfortunately, but unsurprisingly, the rules on what can be sent to Scrubs are pretty restrictive: stationary and stamps, religious jewellery/wedding ring, washcloths & towels, or postal orders.   if Brett is spending his time writing, maybe stationary would be appropriate.