Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 September, 2012, 09:21:49 PM
I think we all ready had that moment (understanding) going down in the elevator. Anderson's walking away - without the badge - is a statement, as is her refusing medical help; the walking away wouldn't be the same if she'd just been given the pass, or badge.

I do agree, and plus when Dredd says "You look ready" and stuff, we know she's earned his respect, even if it's largely unspoken. But the last interaction you leave on is often the one you take home. To show the opposite end, there's the very chummy and jokey way every Dredd/Anderson tale ends in the books, Death Lives, Necropolis, etc.

I know that'd be a stretch for the movie, but just illustrating the way it's done in the movie isn't the only good way to do it. But I do dig the ending.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 25 September, 2012, 09:25:01 PM

I do agree, and plus when Dredd says "You look ready" and stuff, we know she's earned his respect, even if it's largely unspoken. But the last interaction you leave on is often the one you take home. To show the opposite end, there's the very chummy and jokey way every Dredd/Anderson tale ends in the books, Death Lives, Necropolis, etc.

I know that'd be a stretch for the movie, but just illustrating the way it's done in the movie isn't the only good way to do it. But I do dig the ending.

I know what you mean but to me that's kind of the start of another story, I prefer if things aren't so spelled out or explicit as it's really about Dredd in the end.

TordelBack

Loving Joe's take, but I thought that Anderson handing Dredd her badge was her way of taking control of the situation.  She was actively challenging him to change his views about the role of a Judge by passing her as she was (or at least as far down the road to Dreddassery as she had travelled over the course of the day), when by his previously-stated unbreakable rules she had already failed.  (There's also the possibility that she already knew what he had decided, but I really don't think that's indicated in the movie-as-made). 

OTOH having Dredd simply clap her on the back and say 'That'll do, futuristic proto-pig, that'll do' would have be horribly paternalistic and left him as the sole arbiter of what is right in the film - which as shown he definitely isn't.  As executed, it made for a very powerful big-grin scene.

Mind you, I've only seen the lovely thing once.  Something I aim to remedy ASAP.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2012, 10:19:35 PM
Loving Joe's take, but I thought that Anderson handing Dredd her badge was her way of taking control of the situation.  She was actively challenging him to change his views about the role of a Judge by passing her as she was (or at least as far down the road to Dreddassery as she had travelled over the course of the day), when by his previously-stated unbreakable rules she had already failed.

Yep, pretty much, and giving him the arse was the Anderson thing to do: Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Joe.

(There's also the possibility that she already knew what he had decided, but I really don't think that's indicated in the movie-as-made).

I think she read that he was in a bit of a funk so made like a tree. That's women for ya!

OTOH having Dredd simply clap her on the back and say 'That'll do, futuristic proto-pig, that'll do' would have be horribly paternalistic and left him as the sole arbiter of what is right in the film - which as shown he definitely isn't.  As executed, it made for a very powerful big-grin scene.

So he hopped on his bike off to the boozer.

MR. ELIMINATOR

That is a really well thought out analysis of the end. I hadn't even considered looking into it that much.

I was really pleased with the end (well the whole the film, but as we are talking about the end), especially considering that in the leaked script I though it was a little off with the kiss and the A+ or whatever it was. This seemed more like something Dredd would do. I thought the final elevator scene was really great as well, the way Dredd was looking at Anderson and treating her wounds, even though you can't see his eyes, was a really nice touch. And the music was great.

It could have so easily gone really cheesy like at the end of so many action films but this held it together really well, and then with the main theme kicking back in and the bike... Perfection! :D

I have never left a cinema so content in my life.

JOE SOAP

Anyone who says Dredd doesn't have a character arc - or is even a character - is not paying attention.

DKCX

Here is what my 'Knowledgable' friend left me on my facebook regarding his experience of seeing Dredd last night.
The background to this guy is he happened to end up going to The Raid Redemption by complete accident as I can only assume the movie he intended to see was full.
My friend came out of the cinema raving about the Raid and proclaiming it to be brilliant and I was well aware of The Raid due to the movie being mentioned months ago on the forum here.
In the meantime since I had urged friends on a night out to see Dredd and to see Dredd, everyone else enjoyed it but he had his typical response and made very public on my Facebook this evening.

Saw Dredd 3D tonight..... Well if I'm being charitable then i'll concede the special effects are good, the cinematography reasonably stylish and soundtrack is definitely punchy. However, that's about as far as the praise goes I'm afraid.

Contrary to XXXX's reassurances, the much hyped promise of gratuitous violence and frenetic action never materialised. In fact, the pacing is surprising sluggish and the action sequences are pedestrian and mundane when compared to its big brother "The Raid". I know, I know....is it fair to compare it to The Raid I hear you ask? Well, I venture it is....especially since both flicks share almost identical plots. However, where The Raid provides unrelenting action and pulsating suspense, Dredd merely offers fancy effects and not much else. The female villain in Dredd 3D is simply laughable, inspiring about as much menace as the sweet sucking, old fella in the Worthers original adverts. One may also detect the slight whiff of cheddar from the canned phrases uttered by Dredd from time to time. Whatsmore the "3D" effects that I shelled out extra for were actually fairly lame if truth be told.

No doubt committed fans who have emotionally invested and talked the talk for so long (cough...XXXX Casey) will not like hearing the truth. Like the school slacker who cogged your homework in maths class, this lazy effort unashamedly steals set pieces from past summer blockbusters at every turn. Lacking both invention and conviction the film is run-of-the-mill. Put simply, Dredd 3D relies heavily upon its cult credentials. There's nothing new to see here. Fans of the franchise will be happy with their lot, especially given the relative distance gained from Stallone's original, ham fisted offering. This is hardly something to boast about. For those who have seen the promised land that is "The Raid" there can be no looking back. Leaner, meaner and truly ground breaking, The Raid drop kicks this pretender of a film back to the kiddies playpen where it belongs. Taken on its own merits, I suppose Dredd is worth a watch. Is it the best film of the year? I think not......not by an order of magnitude. Maybe the mid rank mediocrity of it all could have been tolerated if not for its unforgivable anti-climatic ending. This is surely its greatest crime of all.
Judgement is served!

This guy is surely worthy of writing for Whatculture.com:thumbsdown:

I'm currently drafting a response pointing out on several obvious points, and the false claim that it is the movie of year, when I claimed it was "My movie of the Year".

Someone on the forum had a great quote about originality in movies from older movies from a famous source, what was it and who said it?
Listen this is in good humour and I'd say his response is more to get a rise out of me.
Feel free to help me draft a very public response back to him and teach this pup a lesson.

JOE SOAP

In many ways Anderson is playing the America Beeny role.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: SneakeeX on 25 September, 2012, 10:44:07 PM
Here is what my 'Knowledgable' friend left me on my facebook regarding his experience of seeing Dredd last night.
The background to this guy is he happened to end up going to The Raid Redemption by complete accident as I can only assume the movie he intended to see was full.
My friend came out of the cinema raving about the Raid and proclaiming it to be brilliant and I was well aware of The Raid due to the movie being mentioned months ago on the forum here.
In the meantime since I had urged friends on a night out to see Dredd and to see Dredd, everyone else enjoyed it but he had his typical response and made very public on my Facebook this evening.

Saw Dredd 3D tonight..... Well if I'm being charitable then i'll concede the special effects are good, the cinematography reasonably stylish and soundtrack is definitely punchy. However, that's about as far as the praise goes I'm afraid.

Contrary to XXXX's reassurances, the much hyped promise of gratuitous violence and frenetic action never materialised. In fact, the pacing is surprising sluggish and the action sequences are pedestrian and mundane when compared to its big brother "The Raid". I know, I know....is it fair to compare it to The Raid I hear you ask? Well, I venture it is....especially since both flicks share almost identical plots. However, where The Raid provides unrelenting action and pulsating suspense, Dredd merely offers fancy effects and not much else. The female villain in Dredd 3D is simply laughable, inspiring about as much menace as the sweet sucking, old fella in the Worthers original adverts. One may also detect the slight whiff of cheddar from the canned phrases uttered by Dredd from time to time. Whatsmore the "3D" effects that I shelled out extra for were actually fairly lame if truth be told.

No doubt committed fans who have emotionally invested and talked the talk for so long (cough...XXXX Casey) will not like hearing the truth. Like the school slacker who cogged your homework in maths class, this lazy effort unashamedly steals set pieces from past summer blockbusters at every turn. Lacking both invention and conviction the film is run-of-the-mill. Put simply, Dredd 3D relies heavily upon its cult credentials. There's nothing new to see here. Fans of the franchise will be happy with their lot, especially given the relative distance gained from Stallone's original, ham fisted offering. This is hardly something to boast about. For those who have seen the promised land that is "The Raid" there can be no looking back. Leaner, meaner and truly ground breaking, The Raid drop kicks this pretender of a film back to the kiddies playpen where it belongs. Taken on its own merits, I suppose Dredd is worth a watch. Is it the best film of the year? I think not......not by an order of magnitude. Maybe the mid rank mediocrity of it all could have been tolerated if not for its unforgivable anti-climatic ending. This is surely its greatest crime of all.
Judgement is served!

This guy is surely worthy of writing for Whatculture.com:thumbsdown:

I'm currently drafting a response pointing out on several obvious points, and the false claim that it is the movie of year, when I claimed it was "My movie of the Year".

Someone on the forum had a great quote about originality in movies from older movies from a famous source, what was it and who said it?
Listen this is in good humour and I'd say his response is more to get a rise out of me.
Feel free to help me draft a very public response back to him and teach this pup a lesson.

I don't think you should be that guys friend anymore.  ;)

Regarding the originality quote thing, I posted one by Jim Jarmusch recently if that was the one you mean?

JOE SOAP

I love both Dredd and the Raid and both work well for different reasons but one of them in particular is a Judge Dredd film while the other, isn't.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 September, 2012, 10:57:20 PM
I love both Dredd and the Raid and both work well for different reasons but one of them in particular is a Judge Dredd film while the other, isn't.

Yup.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2012, 10:19:35 PMOTOH having Dredd simply clap her on the back and say 'That'll do, futuristic proto-pig, that'll do' would have be horribly paternalistic and left him as the sole arbiter of what is right in the film - which as shown he definitely isn't.

While I agree with you gents that the scene works very well as is, I disagree that an alternative couldn't work just as well. I think it's safe to say if in this movie, in an alternate reality, Dredd said she passed and it was played a bit differently, I doubt most would mock it or find it out of place. Just sayin'.

Speaking of Dredd, just got back from my second time seeing it, still excellent. And my brother loved it too. So far everybody has, as my brother put it Dredd was "stoic as fuck". :D I think that sums him up well.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 26 September, 2012, 12:45:31 AM
While I agree with you gents that the scene works very well as is, I disagree that an alternative couldn't work just as well.

but would it be better than it all ready is?

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 September, 2012, 12:53:21 AMbut would it be better than it all ready is?

Well, like I say, I think it could be equally good. And for me, yes I think so. I love this movie, and will watch it many more times, but I don't think it's unchangeable in it's excellence. Actually, as rewatchable as it is, it would kind of add to it if they changed things every time I saw it actually.  :P

PsychoGoatee

Another thing occured to me, I stayed after the credits just because, why isn't there something completely random there? There should have been a cartoon of Judge Death saying "Hello kiddiesss! Did you enjoy the sssshow?" or something, would've been amazing.

Just sayin', if I had the platform to do whatever I wanted like these filmmakers, I wouldn't have missed that opportunity.  :lol: