Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 09/06/07, 7:10pm, "BLINK"...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 09 June, 2007, 07:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

The Adventurer

This is the Moffat episode of the season, it's going to be sweet.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Monarch

Moffat episodes are usually the highlights of the series for me so I have high hopes

Adrian Bamforth

Roger Godpleton

It was so good, it messed up the reception on my telly so I couldn't here anything.

I'm off to tape a playground game of Mr Wolf and put it on the internet so the Beeb will give me money.

And that stupid bit at the end was stupid.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Leigh S

That was all the good bits of the new series, very few of the bad bits, and an added dose f smarts.  

I was surprised to find that even Tennants "Time wimey" stuff works when shorn of the tedious RTD masterplan elements.  Probably the first time he has actually convinced me as the Doctor, and even with him not really stepping too far from the character as RTD would ahve him.  Just goes to show how a shade of subtle can turn something from farce to fine.

Again, this one was more Sapphire and Steel than Dr Who in many respects, and I'm not sure that I'd rather have Dr Who be Dr Who and a new series of Sapphire and Steel be Sapphire and Steel, but even so, very good, and renewed my faith in the possibility that Who could quite easily mutate into something i could enjoy wholeheartedly without actually too much trouble

Steve Green

I liked it, although not sure what the point of the end bit was apart from to make little kids even more afraid of statues...

There was a nice touch where Sally moved in front of the statue and it changed as she passed.

- Steve

WoD

Steve Green

Yeah, I think she would make a great Doctor's companion.

- Steve

Adrian Bamforth

"although not sure what the point of the end bit was apart from to make little kids even more afraid of statues..."

It was to make little kids even more afraid of statues.

Actually I really liked that they did that, like when Roahl Dahl tells us ugly old women are actually witches. You can't proove that they aren't

The statues no moving is itself a great idea, better than if we had seen people acting as statues - a great example of using suggestion and putting some thought into what actually makes scary things scary. The music wasn't too dominating as it usually is too.

However, the 'must remember to give myself a note in the future to send a message back' type stuff is always just as silly as it was done for comic effect in Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure, and that really should have been the end of it. Also, I just don't think you can have episodes of a show with so little of the main character in it, it just looks like they want to milk the show for more than they have time to film - which they have effectively admitted to.

Agreed about the Saphire & Steel thing. Even when there are good episodes they are often just so inconsistant within a series, especially when Earthbound - it doesn't make much sense at all when The Doctor gets so involved in the affairs of a few individuals on Earth. Who's going to see him wearing a poppy in space? Just make another show with people who have a function on Earth.

WoD

Hmmm...my boy is still not asleep...was a good episode though!!

Steve Green

Kudos to the people playing the statues as well.

I just thought they were multiple props rather than actors in prosthetics shown in DWC afterwards.

- Steve

Adrian Bamforth

Mike Carroll

Best Doctor Who episode ever, in my opinion. Even better than last week's (the former Best Doctor Who episode ever).

After a very shaky start, the series is really picking up.

Bico

"He's tricked them!  They'll never move again!"  Well, not unless that light goes out - you know, the one that was flickering a moment ago.  And even if it doesn't, shouldn't someone move the statues somewhere well-lit?  With a lot of street lamps for when it gets dark?  Or is Sally going to keep replacing lightbulbs in that cellar for the rest of her life?  And her kids' lives, too.
The 'scientific' explanation for the creatures was unnecessary.  Why try to rationalise something so blatantly ridiculous?  I can only assume because they wanted to suggest science, and not fantasy, was behind the creatures.  Of course, these are merely NIGGLES, as opposed to genuine criticism.  Genuine criticism would be to ask about that bit at the end which virtually ruins everything that went before it.  The episode ends logically, with a reference to a previous event which now has a different meaning (as dictated by Hero's Journey 101 storytelling), but then inexplicably continues with a  sequence that amounts to loud dance music playing over a scene that screams "PLEASE BE CREEPED OUT, KIDDIES!  THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!"  I'm genuinely flabbergasted that this was stuck on - what were they thinking?  It defies logical analysis, as everything up to that point was geared towards creeping horror, not screaming hysterics.
Of course, if it was usual Who, I'd probably not be so bothered by it, but this was a great episode, and probably the best one yet.  That some script doctor was allowed to shoehorn in that end sequence leaves me more confused than anything else.  What was the point?