Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul faplad Finch

I think by rights they should CF. The last few years that I worked in the Builders Merchant the legislaton got a lot tighter. All of our display prices had to show price excl. and inc. VAT. It wa quite a big deal, with head office regularly sending inspectors round.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 03 November, 2009, 10:13:25 AM

Why can't they just have two prices next to the product so you can see the true cost for us non business people. The conning c**ts (I did that bit for you Roger) [/color]

At the very least the price should be marked as "Ex VAT" so that you can work out the full price yourself.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SuperSurfer

I recently became the block manager of the building we live in as my predecessor resigned, having fired off an email tirade of abuse to one of the directors with sexist and offensive comments. So I have to get things in order now such as sorting out the lights in the car park which have not worked for about five months. The car park is pitch black and the only lighting is supplied by the moon. I get some money which helps and as I work from home I can do some of these tasks.

So this morning I was expecting a recommended sparky (after waiting weeks to get his details from my builder). Having been left in the lurch enough times by tradesmen I called 15 mins before he was meant to show up and he said he has to reschedule.

Now I just looked out of the window and I see the van of some Eastern European workers who can barely put together a few words of English (who are doing some work in one of the flats) and one of them is sweeping out litter and crap from his van into our carpark. As it is me who will have to clear it up I went and told this jerk to pick it up. If he hasn't I'll report him to the agency that employs them.

COMMANDO FORCES

You need to organise your block and recruit some sort of Defence Unit to stop this sort of thing ;)

On the rest of the block stuff, better you than me SuperSurfer. I bet it will be a thankless job, good luck with it.

SuperSurfer

Thanks CF, but at least I can make sure things get done and not just talked about.

It is like a block war at the moment regarding efforts to refurbish the communal areas. We had the third push to get this done in the last few years and some people always manage to keep throwing spanners in the works. What is a pain is that they are keeping down the price of our property and even more importantly all those in the block do not have a pleasant welcoming communal area. They don't understand that a relatively small contribution per flat will add value to each flat and will mean they can get better rents and their flats won't be empty for weeks while they struggle to find tenants. Tight landlords!

Banners

Rather than deliver the actual item to my Mum, Royal Mail instead delivered a card saying the sender was 72p under the item's proper postage charge. Then, rather than take it to the local Post Office a mile away, it's now at the Sorting Office from where it has to be collected, meaning a round trip of nearly 20 miles. She can't drive.

And you want me to support your strike. Hmmmm....

M@

Roger Godpleton

It took me a couple of minutes to find my glasses this morning.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

COMMANDO FORCES

Mike Gloady

I think they ought to put the real (i.e. VAT inclusive) prices on everything.  Worked in a music shop for years, professional musicians found it a piece of pee to work out how much they were going to get back from the tax man.  My entire family are builders or in similar trades, they're at least as mathematically able as session bassists and guitar teachers.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Tiplodocus

Trapped a nerve in my shoulder and it's causing me considerable amounts of pain in my left arm and hand.  My prescribed painkillers either have me flying or throwing up so I'm having to be very careful with what I take which means they don't fully get rid of the pain.

It's been a week now so back to Doctor and on to a Chiropractor or something I feel.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

locustsofdeath!

Got an email that the magazine that accepted one of my short stories just went under.

On the one hand, it won't be in print (so if anyone knows where I can place a 14,000 word science fiction story about "earwigs" please let me know).

But on the other hand, they paid upon acceptance. So I got my money.

To be honest, I'd rather see it in print  :'(.

Mike Gloady

Mmmmmm.  Get paid twice I say, although I'm not a legal bot so for goodness sake make sure you CAN resell it before you try. 

On the upside, if it got accepted by ONE publisher, it'll probably get accepted again.  Worst comes to the worst, you could always give it away if it means you'll see it in print - after all, you HAVE already been "paid".

locustsofdeath!

Aye, sound advice Mike. Thanks.

I suppose I should inquire about publishing it elsewhere - I know I sold it for first time publishing rights, but as it won't be published by the magazine, I'm not sure where I stand.

Other writing annoyances of the day: finished my story for Kerrin's comp...and the bugger is 800 words long and strong...drokkin' 'ell, what a day!

Mike Gloady

My minor impediment is my lack of facility with art programs (specifically illustrator and photoshop) which I'm struggling with to cobble together my art competition entry in snatched bits of time here and there for a while now.  It looks nice, but it's going to take a bloody age to finish as I've only recently discovered easy ways to do what I need. 

Yeah, I know there are tutorials here and elsewhere, but I'm rubbish at learning if I can't make tons of mistakes myself.  Now I've MADE some, my next entry will take a TINY amount of time by comparison.  So hurray!

Peter Wolf

There seems to be an above average number of wet sundays which is a pisser because i want to do a boot fair.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death