Main Menu

2000AD - Spread the Word

Started by LARF, 29 January, 2009, 08:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

I bought my 7 year old the first of the Dredd Case Files for Christmas.

He's hooked - every night is a new story, he's really into it.

It occurred to me that we could all spread the word about 2000AD, get more people to subscribe, pass on progs to friends, point them in the right direction, give graphic novels. So this thread is dedicated to Squaxx stories of how you are spreading the word out there, ideas on how to do it and positive stories of forcing 2000AD onto the masses.

Get to it Warriors.

Bouwel

Oh, I do try and get people to have a look at the 'ol progs. Some will, others just edge away from me without making eye contact. I always consider it to be their loss.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

SmallBlueThing

I've often thought, come payday, of buying up twenty or thirty copies of that week's prog and leaving them on the tube. On different trains, on different lines.

Of course, FINDING twenty or thirty copies of the weekly prog in shops to buy is so hard these days, I've not done it. That, and cash.

Steev

Bouwel

I'm having trouble finding even one prog at the moment. I reduced to going to a near-by city to buy it. I guess I could subscribe but with the crunch and all you like to keep your cash options open.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Bouwel"you like to keep your cash options open.
Not getting the prog has NEVER been an option! I'd rather live on beans or turn the heating off and wear thermal vests rather than ditch my weekly thrills! And ultimately, subscribing saves you money, so I'd say go for it!

Paul faplad Finch

I have never considered subscibing, no matter how hard the Prog has been to find or how spiffing the incentive gift. You see, I have a theory that says subscriptions kill publications. It goes like this:

People start subscribing meaning less people buy from shops

Shops decide there is no demand and stop ordering it

Casual browsers have no oppertunity to discover it

There is no new generation of readers to replace those that fall away

Maybe the above is oversimplified and I suppose publishers must balance these concerns when making their business plans but I've given this some thought over the years and I can't see how, in the long term, it can work out any other way
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Bouwel

QuoteNot getting the prog has NEVER been an option!

Well, time to get the baked beans out then i guess :)

-Bouwel-

Devons Daddy

i have wondered for a long time while with rebellions abililtes they dont have a decent viral programme or attachment we could all send out. lets say there are a couple hundred core here.
surely a decent fun or exciting viral advert, would be able to hit masses of potentail readers.

seems they are not tapping an oppurtunity.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Colin YNWA

My wifes six months pregnant and I'm struggling with the whole talking to the bump thing (silly but true) so tonight when I'm reading a couple of Progs I'm going to do so out loud.

Now primarily this is to get the baby used to my voice but I'm hoping it also has the impact of subliminally turning them into a 2000ad fan. Nowt like getting them young huh!

House of Usher

I had a spare 2000ad recently. I left it on the train.
STRIKE !!!

Ignatzmonster

I have yet to convert one of my US chums to the greatness of tooth. But not for lack of trying. I loaned Nemesis to my brother-in-law, gave away my Titan editions of Slaine and Dredd to friends, and push on my benighted brother all of my favorite collections. Nada. Not a sausage.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteRising Disney star Selena Gomez has certainly etc etc.

Er, Wake? something you should see here
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

jaysus, just click the exclamation button to send a report.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, never even thought of it - Guinness-induced morning insomnia clearly makes one overlook glaringly obvious things.  I sent a pm to wake instead.
Anyway, back to topic - i have also managed to arouse a lot of friends' interest in 2000ad, mainly flatmates over the years, but never enough to make them start buying it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteIt occurred to me that we could all spread the word about 2000AD, get more people to subscribe, pass on progs to friends, point them in the right direction, give graphic novels. So this thread is dedicated to Squaxx stories of how you are spreading the word out there, ideas on how to do it and positive stories of forcing 2000AD onto the masses.

I get violently angry when ever somebody touches,grips,rips, bends my progs, graphics novels, other books.

So, I won't even lend them. Which is a change from the past when I used to be more genrerous.

But thats how I lost two third of the original Slaine Horned Saga.

You know how it's in three volumes.

Anaywa, I have a few multiple copies, athough I'm still not wanting to part with them.

They sort of sercurity blanket for me.

Of the Best OF Monthly's.

I have three Slaine "Enter the Dragon No 22.

Five of Slaine Time-Killer Number 33, including the one that was autographed.

Three of the Slaine Tomb of Terror, number 36 also autographed.

There could be more, but these are the ones right in front of me now.

I could play cards with some of these.

QuoteI have yet to convert one of my US chums to the greatness of tooth. But not for lack of trying. I loaned Nemesis to my brother-in-law, gave away my Titan editions of Slaine and Dredd to friends, and push on my benighted brother all of my favorite collections. Nada. Not a sausage.

I thought there was only one Slaine book by Titan. I 'm thinking of 'Warriors Dawn'.

I once got somebody intertested in 'Tank Girl'
 and eversoince they have gone mad over it buring  graphic novels.

Only after just leaving one issue of one of the earlier Tank Girl stories lying around when I was sharing a flat with four others. That was before Tank Girl became affliated with this magazine. Not long before the ille fated movie.