Main Menu

Batman - Still dead?

Started by Pete Wells, 15 March, 2009, 08:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEdge

I'm not bothered about Wayne getting old but certainly ALFRED should retire before the BAT does shit he must be over 100.

Death of superman is your ultimate COMIC DEATH

they should not keep trying to remake it,
I love supes and buy dc GN's a lot (JLA, Green Lantern, Flash, Supes, Titan/justice no bats however)

We have a new GL every week, or an old one comes back, same with steel, same with the flash, same with robin, same with supes, same with the Bat, man and women . They are even doing it with the metal men and metamorpho and others.

They should pack it in, i'd like a bit of stability who is who.

The only constant seems to be John Johnzz
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

starscape

Thing is, Bruce Wayne isn't that strong a character.  I think he's very replaceable by Dick Grayson.  Far more so than Bucky Barnes to Cap.  Give him a heroic death a la Allen's Flash [spoiler]I know he's coming back but I never saw any clamour - quite the opposite[/spoiler] and let him stay dead.  Grayson can then go all vengeful and crazy becoming just as vengeful as Wayne.

Rio De Fideldo

"The only constant seems to be John Johnzz"

Yes he's dead and he's back this summer as a zombie in Blackest Night. And its J'onn J'onzz

Bongo Jack

Quote from: "Al_Ewing"I'm looking forward to The Batman Of 4,000,000 BC outwitting the Ultimate Trap in ultra-gorgeous Frank-Quitely-O-Vision even if nobody else around here is.

Written by Grant Morrison: yes.
Written by Geoff Johns: no.

Enjoyability of Grant Morrison's recreations of characters or grand ideas depends entirely upon who gets handed the legwork of writing the titles, and I'm firmly of the belief that no-one should be writing GM's ideas but him.
In all, Final Crisis was a good experience, just not a good narrative.  Lots of stuff happening off-panel gave an epic feel to proceedings, but kind of cheated the whole thing about being a daft summer event for all ages like that one where Superboy punches people's heads off through time and ruins Jason Todd's funeral.  Plus, you kind of needed to read that spin-off 3D title where Superman pilots a giant robot made of stories to slug it out with an interdimensional time-vampire to get the ending of FC.
The end of FC #6 where Superman comes back from heaven and aforesaid punch-up to wreck everyone's shit is epic.  I'd like more of that, or more All-Star Superman.
Live forever or die trying

starscape

This forum doesn't seem to work very often for me for some reason, so apologies for seemingly being away for ages but anyway...

Final Crisis was AWFUL!  So much so that Morrison had to go on comic boards explaining what happened.  Spin-offs came and went.  52 was basically ignored.  The final villain was just sooooo lame and then bringing in "the ultimate weapon" at the end despite it not being mentioned in the three years of build up - sheesh!!!

Anyway, Geoff Johns.  His JSA has been terrific.  It may not be the visionary writing of Alan Moore or an on-form Grant Morrison (like Mark Millar, I detest half of the stuff he's written and think the rest is some of the finest in comicdom) but, like, say Doug Moench or Roy Thomas, there's always a solid story based around an interesting idea and a love for the medium.  Unlike the other writers I've just mentioned, Johns does stay firmly in the world of comics, only rarely venturing out into real-world politics, but they're usually great fantasy reads.  Top quality for me.

Rio De Fideldo

Plus Geoff Johns displays a light touch when dealing with the quagmire of continuity that often surrounds these decades old characters.

Who'd have thought that Hal Jordan could be brought back from the dead and redeemed for his murderous ways as Parallax so comprehensively. His recent Toy Man and Brainiac stories have also been top.

starscape

He, like Moore, obviously loves these old characters.  Wasn't that long ago, he reintroduced Jack Kirby's Sandman, even though he's completely out of continuity, just for the love of the character.