Main Menu

Stewart Lee's comedy vehicle

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 March, 2009, 08:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

While indeed the "STUPEFICATION OF THE MASSES CONTINUES..." maybe true did anybody catch Stewart Lee's new show last night? Comedy gold, absolutely brillant stuff.

The 'extra's' on the interactive channel were great as well. Good to see while some stuff is dumbing down you can still get sharp, intelligent but most importantly damn right funny comedy out there.

Richmond Clements

It was superb alright.
I haven't seen him since TMWRNJ, though I'd read a lot about how good his stand up was.
It was a brilliant brillaint set- cleverly written and paced.

radiator

Some of it was funny, but tbh I thought a lot of it was borderline sub-grumpy old men material.

Yeah - a lot of people are stupid - whinging about it (while reinforcing how intelligent you are) for half an hour won't change anything. And that really laboured 'rap singers' bit went on for far too long.

Richmond Clements

Ah, but I am a grumpy old man!

QuoteAnd that really laboured 'rap singers' bit went on for far too long.

See, I thought that was brilliantly done. That was the piece I was referring to when I mentioned the pacing. The use of repetition was very clever and built to the punchline perfectly.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "radiator"And that really laboured 'rap singers' bit went on for far too long.

Wasn't that rather the point of that joke? It was funny because it went on for so long.

Y'know, the bit about the rappers, how they jump on the railings.

Round the back of the Corn Market.

Near the Multi-Storey Car Park.

The bit where the wheelchairs go.

They jump up on the railings, don't they? That was the point he was making. That they jump up on the railings.

Round the back of the Corn Market.

Near the Multi-Storey Car Park.

The bit where the wheelchairs go.
@jamesfeistdraws

House of Usher

I thought it was great. He knows to whom he's addressing his comedy, and for that he deserves an appreciative audience.
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "radiator"Some of it was funny, but tbh I thought a lot of it was borderline sub-grumpy old men material.

Yeah - a lot of people are stupid - whinging about it (while reinforcing how intelligent you are) for half an hour won't change anything. And that really laboured 'rap singers' bit went on for far too long.

As it goes this very point is addressed in the excellent 'extra' which you could access after the show by pressing the 'red button' should you have the appropriate red button.

radiator

QuoteWasn't that rather the point of that joke? It was funny because it went on for so long.

I understand that, I just didn't think it was funny.

I do like Stewart Lee, and am currently listening to his Radio 4 Alan Moore interview on Youtube:

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE2kDtXzTUA

Banners

Stewart Lee has brilliant musical taste. Fact.

M@

Old Tankie

Even the hand picked audience were struggling to raise a laugh, I thought it was crap!  Shame, 'cos I normally think he's great.

Richmond Clements

Err... 'hand picked'? And you know this how?

Old Tankie

Ah! rac, that's for me to know, and you to find out!!!  No, seriously, I think he's trying to be the "new" Dave Allen and there will only ever be one Dave Allen.

stacey

Well I thought it was hilarious.  Really good, though I feel a bit guiltly bout the pile of reading material in my bathroom now.

Al_Ewing

Great stuff, although having been a fan of his since small times I'm always up for a bit of Stewart Lee.

Although I didn't like the bit where he turned to the camera and said, clearly so that everyone could hear, "I am trying to replace Dave Allen in the public imagination, and be the New Dave Allen, and when my dark work is done, nobody will remember Dave Allen, they will remember only me, Stewart Lee, and there's nothing anybody on any comics-related message board can do about it," and then laughed as green slime poured from his nostrils and ears. I thought that bit went on too long.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Buttonman

I like Stewart Lee and his first stand up DVD is one of the best I've seen. I did enjoy this but agree that two of the jokes went on too long. The sketches didn't add much but I always like Kevin Eldon and his Irishman was pin point accurate.

Don't really see the Dave Allen connection apart from a bit of stand up with some sketches - different style and approach but it's an easy reviewer point, as the man from the Independent lazily illustrated. If anything there was a bit of early Seinfeld about the idea of doing stand up followed by sketches to illustrate the gags.