Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 May, 2016, 01:39:13 PM
  It is a movie for people who don't watch Fast & Furious movies because they don't take themselves seriously enough. 

I think the Fast and Furious films do take themselves to seriously. And they are utter Shit!

Pointbreak remake is also Shit. Of the highest order!

I watched most of London has Fallen the other day and my brain still hurts.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

I, Cosh

Quote from: NapalmKev on 19 May, 2016, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 May, 2016, 01:39:13 PM
  It is a movie for people who don't watch Fast & Furious movies because they don't take themselves seriously enough. 
I think the Fast and Furious films do take themselves to seriously. And they are utter Shit!
There is a school of thought which contends that the absolute pinnacle of cool is to be utterly ridiculous, know you are being utterly ridiculous and carry on as if everything makes perfect sense, without a nod, wink or other tediously self-aware gesture to the audience.

Also, the sequel is called 2 Fast 2 Furious!

And another sequel is called Fast + Furious!!
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Me and a few friends are having a british crime night, a marathon of several known but excellent movies.

Mona Lisa (1986, dir.Neil Jordan)
Get Carter (1971, dir.Mike Hodges)
The Black Panther (1977, dir.Ian Merrick)

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 May, 2016, 03:59:34 PM
Me and a few friends are having a british crime night, a marathon of several known but excellent movies.

Mona Lisa (1986, dir.Neil Jordan)
Get Carter (1971, dir.Mike Hodges)
The Black Panther (1977, dir.Ian Merrick)

You could do worse than to add Brighton Rock, The Long Good Friday and Sexy Beast to that list (or have another British Crime night next week)!

JamesC

The Business is another really good one but people think it must be shit because Danny Dyer is in it.

Hawkmumbler

Actually watched The Long Good Friday not that long ago, an utterly masterful film by all accounts. Brighton Rock, Sexy Beast and The Business shall have to be put to the vote! Thanks JamesC.

Colin Zeal

The Business isn't a shit film because it has Danny Dyer in it. It's a shit film that just happens to have Danny Dyer in it.

Satanist

Oh Sexy Beast is a film I always mean to watch but never get round to, cheers for the reminder.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Eric Plumrose

GREEN ROOM. A brilliant piece of Hixploitation let down by a prosaic and frankly unnecessary climax.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Modern Panther

Enemy, with Jake Gyllenhaal (which my tablet just automatically typed for me after the letters"g" and "y".  The future is now, people!), as Adam, a damaged university lecturer, and Anthony, his actor doppelganger, who he tracks down after noticing him as an extra in a film.  It's like Dostoyevsky (it did it again!), but with less laughs.  The whole thing is minimal and a bit mumblecore, and on the face of it seems really slight, but there's more beneath the surface (and a few clues as to what eally might be going on) and I've found myself sitting and thinking about its themes and its final non sequitur scene for longer than is probably healthy.

TordelBack

Captain America: Civil War: so much better than the comics it loosely nods at. Light-hearted and serious at the same time, I thought it was insanely successful at creating a ridiculously complex mishmash of characters, schemes and setpieces, while still rooting everything in human feelings, beliefs and relationships. I love that it developed Steve's arc from ostensibly serving his country to serving his conscience, which is what he was really doing all along.  And I love that they made Tony a bad guy, even though he was clearly in the right, right up to the end.

Very clever, very entertaining, but way too long. I still can't get my head around the fact that I just watched[spoiler] Spiderman take Giantman down like an Imperial Walker while Back Widow zaps Black Panther and Scarlet Witch drops buildings on everyone[/spoiler]. What a time to be alive!

Spikes

Mike Leigh's Naked.

Always good to revisit this film.

This time around I noticed, for the first time, that one of the bit players is in fact the rather superb Toby Jones.
His fame/or my awareness of him has increased since I last watched this :-)

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 01 February, 2016, 12:26:09 AM
Quote from: Buttonman on 01 February, 2016, 12:13:02 AM
That's me finished seeing all the Best Picture Oscar Nominees...
The Room - Not out here for another couple of months. Have managed to avoid knowing anything about it despite general buzz being that it's amazing.
Finally caught this tonight and the general buzz was just about right. The two leads are fantastic and the way it presents the world they've created is first rate. About the only minor quibble I have is that a few too many things are introduced in the second half before being quickly dropped. So good it almost makes me consider watching the director's previous film about Frank Fucking Sidebottom.

Of course, nobody cares about that so how about a film with a double Tooth connection? Apparently based on a French comic drawn by Colin Wilson, Bullet to the Head stars Judge Dredd himself. This was released around the same time as Arnie's The Last Stand (which I also enjoyed) and seems clearly intended as a similar late career repositioning for Stallone. You could certainly question the morality of many of the characters Sly has played over the years but I think this is the first time I've seen him play an outright villain. Here he's a hitman on the hunt for whoever double-crossed him forced into an uneasy buddy relationship with a cop (Han from out of the Fasts and Furiouses) after the same people. Christian Slater as a sleazy lawyer is the highlight of the supporting cast.

The plot is overly convoluted (one too many sets of villains with incomprehensible aims) but that's hardly the biggest fault in any thriller and it keeps our heroes on the move. The action when it comes is short and satisfyingly brutal, with Sly really selling his character as an older guy who has to make the first couple of hits count. This gradually ramps up to a climactic axe fight with Khal Drogo which definitely isn't something you see every day and all the more fun for it.

Easily better than all three Expendables.
We never really die.

CrazyFoxMachine

The Fisher King

The second time I saw this the relatively schmaltzy flaws I originally perceived in it fell right by the wayside. It's a bizarre and dreamy picture, with an effortlessly charming Williams and some truly astonishing sequences (the station waltz being an obvious one). The overt (and dated) "man needs woman" theme jars slightly, along with their attempts to force Williams and Plummer's disjointed Lydia together. I found the gradual erosion of Bridges' cynicism allowing him to see the basic goodness in the excellent Reuhl far more moving romantically.

Any potential cheese issues aside it still functions as a classic Gilliam piece, brimming as it does with humanity and imagination.

Steve Green

Chappie.

Felt like a real cut-and-shut, the whole [spoiler]fairy tale ending with the personality transfer on a USB stick bobbins didn't sit well with the near future tech - I could take Wikus turning into a prawn, because aliens

Disappointing[/spoiler]