Main Menu

Phoenix comic

Started by AlexF, 14 April, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2020, 05:18:44 PM
Anyone got the latest Phoenix?Jamie Smarts' second strip in it Flember (well I think its called Dev something or other but its based on the book Flember - anyway I'm way off track) was colours by one Darren Stephens and judging by their very vibrant tones I'm pretty damned sure its Darren from this here Board.

If so AMAZING job Darren, working with Jamie Smart must be a massive thrill!

Yes, thank you so much Colin! This is the second series of 'Dev' I've been lucky enough to colour. ( I'm a huge fan of Jamies, so it is indeed a MASSIVE buzz to work with him!)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 July, 2020, 09:21:23 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2020, 05:18:44 PM
Anyone got the latest Phoenix?Jamie Smarts' second strip in it Flember (well I think its called Dev something or other but its based on the book Flember - anyway I'm way off track) was colours by one Darren Stephens and judging by their very vibrant tones I'm pretty damned sure its Darren from this here Board.

If so AMAZING job Darren, working with Jamie Smart must be a massive thrill!

Yes, thank you so much Colin! This is the second series of 'Dev' I've been lucky enough to colour. ( I'm a huge fan of Jamies, so it is indeed a MASSIVE buzz to work with him!)

Oh wow sorry I missed it the first time. I read the comic with the boy and always read the creators names and for some reason must have not clicked when the first 'Dev' stories were in last year (I think it was it was just as Flember came out as I recall). I do wonder if it clicked this time as for some reason the colours just popped and when I checked the name it made sense given your art we've seen here.

Anyway more importantly fantastic stuff and long may you continue to work with Jamie.

Darren Stephens

Thanks again! I think the colours in this series are more 'me', if that makes sense? Take care.
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 July, 2020, 09:58:13 AM
Thanks again! I think the colours in this series are more 'me', if that makes sense? Take care.

Its definately does and that entire explains the penny dropping.

broodblik

I see that Phoenix now has joined the 500 club.

2000AD extended congratulations as well:

Having a wraparound cover for your 500th issue cover gets you into a select club! Congratulations on the milestone,
@phoenixcomicuk
!!

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

We're just heading home after a brief holiday and I think the boy child is as excited about this being there when we land than seeing the cat again.

IndigoPrime

The child was very excited about this one—Bunny vs Monkey has returned!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 July, 2021, 11:49:35 AM
The child was very excited about this one—Bunny vs Monkey has returned!

Yeah good as Mega-lo-maniacs has been nothing says Jamie Smart like Bunny vs. Monkey.

Darren Stephens

500 issues is AMAZING!
                                       CLICK^^

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

I read the 500th issue at the weekend and really enjoyed it, and I'm 45. It's almost worth having a child so I could get this every week.

Mostly unrelated fact: Neill Cameron (Pirates of Pangaea, Robo-Bros) drew my wedding tattoo.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Plenty of grown-ups read comics for kids. But good to know you enjoyed it. I will say that if you liked Bunny vs Monkey, the new pocket books are worth picking up. Looshkin is soon being redone in the same format too. (I figure anarchic and silly comedy strips are good for any age!)

Funny also to go back through this thread and see my non-committal stance on the initial subscription. I can't imagine cutting it now. Mini-IP would go nuts. She bloody loves the comic (although I think still loves the Beano a little bit more).

Colin YNWA

Yeah I have to say even when the Boy Child goes the way of the Girl Child and decides he's too 'grown-up' for the Phoenix I strongly suspect I'll carry on with it. Its just good craft plain and simple and therefore the real definition of All Ages.

Good comics is good comics.

Colin YNWA

Just finished reading issue 500 with the boy (he reads it himself first then we read it together) and while its good - love the cover - if you enjoyed that one DEFO check out another issue or two I would say that one wasn't as good as a 'typical' issue of late.

Colin YNWA

Bloody hell how good has the latest run of Mega Robo Bros been and man that ending. Just FANTASTIC!