Main Menu

Edgiverse connections

Started by Colin Zeal, 09 February, 2012, 01:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

I can't seem to find the search function (do we still have one?), so I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a thread detailing the links between the different Edgiverse stories. Thanks.

Emperor

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

There doesn't seem to be an Edgiverse thread, there is just a mention of the above site:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,23247.0.html

Soooooooooo this might as well be that thread.

I did contact the guy about adding to the annotations (possibly over Ampney Crucis?) but he said he was only adding them when collected editions become available. Which means we do need somewhere to store our observations while they are still fresh in our minds and they can then be sent over to that site when the trade paperbacks come out. So have at it!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Proudhuff

The search button is in the top left of the screen, in the black bar above Dredd's Lawgiver
DDT did a job on me

Colin Zeal

That'll teach me to not to scroll up fully.

So what are the links between stories then? Off the top of my head you've got:

Orlando Doyle appearing in Red Seas and Stickleback.
Sgt Chipps (Stickleback) is the father of Cromwell's deceased friend in the second Ampney Crucis story
And one of the characters from the first AC story is mentioned as being on the board of the company that built Leviathan.

There must be some others, as these are just ones so obvious that even I managed to spot them.

Emperor

Isn't there a lighter in AC with the symbol of Hastur from Leviathan?

Aren't there hints when they all meet in... Red Seas? In the room with the blocked up door, which seems to be

This is why I should have made the notes at the time I read them :( Especially as The Red Seas hasn't been collected so isn't going to appear in the annotations any time soon.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Emperor on 09 February, 2012, 08:43:06 PM

The shadowy chap who's been pulling Ampney's strings behind the scenes (via Ambrose Chutney) has a cane whose head is Hastur's eye symbol from Leviathan, if that's what you're thinking of.

As well as Orlando Doyle, the Brotherhood of the Book and The Temple of Mithras - their 'headquarters' - all appear in both The Red Seas and Stickleback both.

The baddie chap in the first AC story also references the pirate chappies from Red Seas and their hollow earth adventure.

The Martians who cameo at the end of The Red Sea's selfsame hollow earth outing are almost certainly a nod to Edginton and D'Isralei's War of the World adaptation(s).

William Ashbless, architect of The Leviathan, appears briefly in the first Stickleback outing.

And there's a pub called The Jolly Cripple in both Stickleback and The Red Seas.
@jamesfeistdraws

Emperor

Dave Moyes is in Leviathan and Stickleback, but more as a running joke of theirs:
http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.com/2008/01/stickleback-englands-glory-part-6.html

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 February, 2012, 09:14:11 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 09 February, 2012, 08:43:06 PM

The shadowy chap who's been pulling Ampney's strings behind the scenes (via Ambrose Chutney) has a cane whose head is Hastur's eye symbol from Leviathan, if that's what you're thinking of.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 February, 2012, 09:14:11 PMWilliam Ashbless, architect of The Leviathan, appears briefly in the first Stickleback outing.

Wearing the eye of Hastur:
http://disraeli-demon.blogspot.com/2007/02/stickleback-part-8-references.html

Also William Ashbless is the poet from The Anubis Gates, one of the first Steampunk novels, and The Digging Leviathan (coincidentally I own them both):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ashbless

The Adventurer

As I understand it, the following serials are all part of the 'Edgiverse'

The Red Seas
Stickleback
Ampney Crucis Investigates
Leviathan
American Gothic
Detonator X
Stone Island

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 February, 2012, 01:17:53 AM

Detonator X

You take that back, take it baaaaack!   :'(

I'm a bit unclear about Stone Island as well - I haven't read the latest Ampney serial, but prior to that I felt the only potential overlap was the existence of interdimensional quasi-Lovecraftian nasties.  On that basis, almost every 2000AD series is part of the Edgiverse.... (Zenith, Sláine, Dredd, Stront, Cabs, Necronauts etc. etc.)

The Adventurer

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 February, 2012, 07:46:01 AM

Detonator X

You take that back, take it baaaaack!   :'(

I'm a bit unclear about Stone Island as well - I haven't read the latest Ampney serial, but prior to that I felt the only potential overlap was the existence of interdimensional quasi-Lovecraftian nasties.  On that basis, almost every 2000AD series is part of the Edgiverse.... (Zenith, Sláine, Dredd, Stront, Cabs, Necronauts etc. etc.)

The yellow skied, 'creature from beyond' infested earth Ampney recently visited strikes me as very similar to the alternate world visited in Stone Island 2.

At least, that's the conclusion I've always drawn.

Also, this is fresher in my mind, because I just read it in my new 2009 pile of Progs, but in Red Seas: The Chimes at Midnight. When Newton visits with the other powerful mystics, there is a sealed door, alluded to seal off unspeakable horrors from beyond. Is it possible this door connects to the same world Ampney and Stone Island do?

Dark Jimbo

American Gothic
Detonator X
Stone Island

Hmm, I'd debate the inclusion of these three. There's no overt reason not to include them in the Edgeverse - but by the same token I can't think of any good reason for doing so, apart from the fact they're written by Edgy. By the same token, while the Millsverse is a vast and sprawling beast, there's no reason to think for a moment that Defoe, Greysuit or Slaine are involved.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 February, 2012, 12:32:58 PM
American Gothic
Detonator X
Stone Island

Hmm, I'd debate the inclusion of these three. There's no overt reason not to include them in the Edgeverse - but by the same token I can't think of any good reason for doing so, apart from the fact they're written by Edgy. By the same token, while the Millsverse is a vast and sprawling beast, there's no reason to think for a moment that Defoe, Greysuit or Slaine are involved.

I'm not able to dig out my issues to double check. But its my understading that in American Gothic a brand of beer seen in Red Seas (or maybe Leviathan?) appears. In Detonator X the Jolly Cripple makes an appearance. I think? Also the monsters seem strangely similar in design to the lizard people in Red Seas: Hollow Earth.

I really REALLY need to reread Detonator X. They should compile that and American Goth in a Meg supplement at some point.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 February, 2012, 06:52:16 PM
They should compile that and American Goth in a Meg supplement at some point.

Your mouth is full of wrong  ;)
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Was just reading American Gothic today while boxing up a mound of Progs.  Dear Grud what happened there?  Two great creators, Mike Collins and Ian Edginton, and a clever idea, but it's just a virtually unreadable mess from start to finish.  It really looks like neither of their hearts were in it at all.

And I thought Indigo Prime operatives had completely excised Detonator-X from this reality, one cover excepted.