Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 27 April, 2021, 02:15:56 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 April, 2021, 01:27:31 PM
Alas options are still limited by the rents landlords are after which are prehibitively high. Apparently there's more money to be had converting the upper floors of shops into accommadation - though for the life of me I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on a dieing high street!

Nobody does, but the property owners and builders can get away with cutting a lot more corners if they're converting a commercial property. Who needs housing regulations?

Well wow - that explains a lot. That's pretty horrible but therefore predictable for this government of ours.

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 3

As I said last time the great thing about getting your haul in a big clump like this is you get to read a load of a series in one go which I'm hoping could refresh my love for some as I get to build momentum with series I otherwise lose track of issue to issue.

So tonight I was meant to be reading five issues of Scumbag. Alas the telly broken (kinda for some reason it lost network connection all sorted now) and had to fix that and so only got to

Scumbag 3-5

and I'm glad as this series isn't great. I mean I can see why if this is what you want its great. Its got some superb art and if it tickles your funny bone all power to you. I just find it grating. Sure you are meant to find the lead character grating ... but he really is ... until he saves the day. Its just as annoying as he is. The scenarios it plays with wafer thin and tired and... uh 2 more to read tomorrow and I don't see this one getting out of this haul alive.

Thanks the maker I didn't have to read 5 of these in one go!

More tomorrow...

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 4

And we go one (well I do go on anyway)

Two more Scumbangs 6 + 7 not much more to say and I'll be cancelling that one.

We only find them when they're dead 5 ends the first arc of this series - probably need to go back and re-read but it pretty good in its own right. I do find the art a bit shiny, though I think that might be deliberate. It will be interesting to discover where this one can go next.

Happy Hour 3 two more of these to go, but straight back in there and its straightforward concept mean its immediately engaging and interesting. More when I've read the other two.

More tomorrow...

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 5

Happy Hour 4 + 5 - Pete Milligan can be a very hit and miss writer but when he lands on a concept that works for him few can match him and so it is with this series. You'd think there wouldn't be much to explore in a series with such a simple concept - a US where you are forced to be happy all the time. Yet with good character, interesting side ideas he mines the satire perfectly. A great comic(s)

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters 1 + 2 Chris and Laura Samnee team up for this all ages comic about a girl looking for her feral younger 'sister' in a devastated world full of monsters. Come for the art, stay for the charm. This one feels like a keeper already.

Immortal Hulk 42, 43, 44 maybe it was break, maybe its reading issues back to back, whatever this one feels right again. Henry Gyrich is always good value. Things feel charmer, until they are not. This is why I fell for this comic first place and as we head towards its conclusion this has genuinely made me excited for a re-read.

More tomorrow...

CalHab

I've got my backorder now (or at least most of it, as some hadn't been unpacked). Buying four months of comics at once was a bit of an eye opener.

So far, all I've read is Declan Shalvey's Immortal Hulk: Flatline. Beautiful art but kind of a muddled story.

I started reading Batman/Catwoman #2, but realised I was lost in its multiple threads/timelines. I'll get the first issue out to read again.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: CalHab on 30 April, 2021, 08:39:12 AM
So far, all I've read is Declan Shalvey's Immortal Hulk: Flatline. Beautiful art but kind of a muddled story.

Oh that's second tonight I think - it does look lovely

I started reading Batman/Catwoman #2, but realised I was lost in its multiple threads/timelines. I'll get the first issue out to read again.

Oh God if I did that I'd never get through this pile of comics! I'm going with the theory - I should be able to pick up the threads from what I read - if not I need to question the quality ofthe comic and whether I should continue with it.

If I am lost BUT the comic interests me enough anyway a re-read goes onto my already ridiculous read/reread spreadsheet for when I get to it.

CalHab

That's normally my approach, but it's only the second issue.

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 April, 2021, 09:12:47 PM
Two more Scumbangs 6 + 7 not much more to say and I'll be cancelling that one.

Disappointing to hear that. The first issues were daft but fun. The humour did seem a bit too "one note" for a series, I guess.

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 6

Immortal Hulk 45 - the return to form continues (or my ability to get into it - whatever.

Immortal Hulk - Flatline
- Yep.

The Goon 13 - If you learn one lesson today learn that while at first it might seen a good idea to resist the temptation of a Pink Plastic Pigs Anus, you might live to regret that. Oh and Eric Powell is so good he can capture the true despration of a giant giant eyed man spider's desire to chase the dragon like no other. Yes this comic is neigh perfect.

Lazarus Risen 5 - These perfect bound giant Lazarusezes are great and beautiful things but they do indulge Rucka and Lark so. It reads like a 20 page comic. A great 20 page comic but still.

We not done you I'm afraid and so...

...more tomorrow...

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 7

Sweet sweet bank holiday weekend bonus reading time and we're into the home straight here.

Strange Adventures 8 and 9 - this is trying so hard, its being so oblique and interesting. Its so dramatic and smart and terse and high octane and intimate and... its trying to be so much... I sometimes wonder if it forgets to be good entertainment. One to judge on read read.

Resident Alien - Your Ride's Here 3 - 5 and in stark contrast to the above this one is so low key and understated and yet has so much more to say about being people. Its quite wonderful stuff. I mean really brilliant. It knows what its doing. Just as i was thinking - man the small town sure has a lot going on in these issues, compared to normal, teh major observes

Quote"Well things are certainly changing fast around here lately."

So its okay they know. So, so good and these issue set up a thrilling finale which I just can't want for.

Sometimes less is more.

Usagi Yojimbo - Wander's Road 2 - 5 - I used these colour editions as a way to start collecting this much talked about series from the off and it really, really works. Glorious short stories and fast swords. Its wonderful stuff. The only thing is even though I've not read these in black and white I'm beginning to see moments when the colour is a distraction. Line work to give shade and depth, intricate details on wood I notice they get lost a little in the colour. Still these are my editions of wonderful comics so I'll role with it ... I have a load of black and white digital version creeping up my To Read List.

Grendel - Devil's Odyssey 5 - as if having Matt Wagner Grendel wasn't enough to make me immensely happy - this is a great comic from a true master - the after blub goes on to say

Quote"We've got four more issues of Devil's Odyssey to go [including this one], and then there's an equally exciting and unexpected squel series on deck following that."

MORE GRENDEL COMING!!!! Hear my heart sing with joy!

and then we hit Black Hammer territory. There 9, yes 9 Black Hammer comics in this haul. Must check what that brings the running total to. I have them all and its turning into quite the collection.

Skulldigger 6 - Really nice ending to this grim and gritty series and man was the art by Tonci Zonjic something special. A really well designed treat for the eye. Wonderful.

Black Hammer Visions 1 - guest stories in this case by Patton Oswalt and Dean Kotz with a nice story about Golden Gail and some of her classmates. A nice interlude.

More tomorrow...

Colin YNWA

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 8

Almost there, almost there...

Black Hammer Visions 2 + 3

Colenel Weird - Cosmagog 3 + 4

Barbalien 3, 4, 5

I pretty much love everything that's come out Black Hammerish. I have it all and Jeff Lemire with co-creator Pete Doherty and assosiated other artists and talent weave a lovely, coherant story with the main series. With these mini-series that tale and its inhabitants is being fleshed out. In doing so Lemire use the superhero architypes to examine a lot more besides and its all glorious stuff.

The trouble is its in danger of all getting a bit Hunter Rose. I love Hunter Rose (the original Grendel from Matt Wagner) but the story can feel strip-mined on occasion. So many have played so well in the tale - which is structured and complete it can feeled hollowed out. Black Hammer isn't there, but it feels like its on the way.

But the new series of the main story is coming along later this year and so there's ever chance that the story and world can be opened some more and we will continue to get stories of this quality.

One more tomorrow...

broodblik

Doing some catch-up on stuff I bought awhile ago, all off them is the first volumes

Y The Last Man - What will happen when just two males a man and a monkey survives a catalytic event.

The Strain - Interesting twist on our classic vampire tale.

American Vampire - Another different take on our vampire fiends. As the title suggest this is an all American romp.

Heavy Metal #304 - Not the best volume since the good stuff has taken a break and will return next issue. HM suffers even more than the Meg in the sense that it is not even monthly. This issue has a good Book Cook illustrated story in it in the vain of a Future Shock.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 03 May, 2021, 04:32:09 AM
Y The Last Man - What will happen when just two males a man and a monkey survives a catalytic event.

Really enjoyed Y the Last Man - there's a scene at the end which gave me big feels!

Anyway indulgent early morning entry to celebrate

FINISHING MY CATCH UP HAUL

WAYHEYYYYY.

Post Lockdown Haul - Part 8

Last comic was Second Coming - Only Begotten Son and what can we say Mark Russell remains an absolutel genius. Richard Pace's art is a treat and this book is a delight.

So there we go actually 48 comics, 9 days and a ton of delight and what can we conclude. Well that I read good comics (and a couple not so good) and so should you!

More tomorr... oh hold on, no, no there won't be...

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 May, 2021, 08:46:26 PM

Grendel - Devil's Odyssey 5 - as if having Matt Wagner Grendel wasn't enough to make me immensely happy - this is a great comic from a true master - the after blub goes on to say

Quote"We've got four more issues of Devil's Odyssey to go [including this one], and then there's an equally exciting and unexpected squel series on deck following that."

MORE GRENDEL COMING!!!! Hear my heart sing with joy!

Read this over the weekend, and it was thankfully worth the wait.
The episodic nature of this particular arc didn't really impact the delay between issues 4 and 5, the fact that a long period of time also passed for the Paladin and Sigma 7 helped ease the reader back into the flow.

Lovely, lovely artwork as expected, and a nice flashback to the War Child arc.

More Grendel on the horizon is also very welcome news indeed.

CalHab

Quote from: broodblik on 03 May, 2021, 04:32:09 AM

I disliked this on first read. I came back to it a couple of years later because a friend kept on raving about it. I binge read the whole series over a few nights and....yeah.... I was wrong. It's brilliant.