Main Menu

British Library to stage exhibition on comics

Started by Colin Zeal, 23 January, 2014, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

Proudhuff

and dark times for you Goths:
The library also disclosed that from October it will stage what it described as the UK's most comprehensive show of Gothic literature, timed to mark the 250 years since the publication of Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto, a convention-breaking novel that helped pave the way for books by writers such as Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley, Mervyn Peake and Angela Carter.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

With Paul Gravett involved you gotta hope it avoids the pit falls of cliche. 

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Frank

Paul Gravett was on the Today programme this morning, promoting the British Library's exhibition of comic art. They played to their audience, emphasising Cruickshank rather than Hook Jaw, and dragging the frightfully nice Posy Simmonds along as an example of how comics can be subversive ...

2 HRS 20 MIN 20 SEC

Spikes

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 23 January, 2014, 10:54:11 AM
This sounds very interesting and I'll be sure to pop along once it starts.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jan/22/british-library-comics-exhibition-celebration-genre

Rather nicely, I shall be in London in a couple of weeks time. Looking forward to seeing this.

I believe that Wake has lent some art for this exhibition?

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Albion

I have a day off on July 7th for this and the 2000AD and beyond talk in the evening.
:)
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Spikes

Quote from: Dash Decent on 25 April, 2014, 12:35:00 PM
Gravett has a tie-in title coming out in May:

Comics Unmasked.

Pricey... but interesting. I'm guessing this will be available at the British Library also? If so, a flick through may be in order, to see what's what.

judgerufian

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/comics-unmasked/

The exhibition looks pretty good as does the list of related panels and talks including a 20000ad one on Monday 7th July which, shock horror, has not sold out yet.

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/comics-unmasked/events/event160272.html

Mrs. Judgerufian and I will be going!

Dandontdare

amazingly I've been able to book the Monday and Tuesday off work (in JULY!!!! That's normally impossible unless you do it 12 months in advance!), so I'll be able to go to this too! We must establish a codeword so that we can recognise each other on the day - unless you're attending in uniform of course!

Dandontdare

ticket train & hostel booked - was planning to have a few days daaaaahn saaaaarf anyway!

COMMANDO FORCES

Simon Beigh

A tonne of coverage in The Times today about this exhibition. Jonathan Ross wrote a good article about how comics weren't just for kids, they were for adults who can't face growing up :) He did it tongue in cheek, of course, but I get what he means.

The article didn't mention the 2000AD talk, which I'm seriously giving some contemplation to going to...

Spikes

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 May, 2014, 06:48:33 PM
Only available at this event!

And as I now have tickets for next Saturday (10am, if any else is attending then), I will be purchasing one of those.