Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Davgardo on 08 August, 2017, 08:52:10 AM
I really don't want to have to fork out to see Space Girls, Dinosty, Babe Race 2000 etc just so the intro/text piece can say how crap it was.

Hey now.  This would be a cracking collection.  Add in Crusade, Valkyries, Big Dave, Fleischer's RT stuff, Millar's Robohunter ... What's the problem?

Smith

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 August, 2017, 02:49:30 PM
What's the problem?
There is already a Family Guy collection called A Big Book O' Crap.

Bolt-01

Ouch. Thing is, even the strips that are usually 'not' the top of a Squaxx' fave list have 'something' to recommend them.

Those strips all have pretty solid art droids on duty...

IndigoPrime

Which'd be fine if comics were all about looking at pictures, but they're not. (I just read The Complete Skizz, which rather sums this up nicely. Good grief, I'd forgotten how much of a mess the sequels were. Nice art, as ever – I can't recall Baike having ever put a foot wrong there – but, man, that was a painful trip back to a not-good period in 2000 AD's history.)

Tjm86

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 August, 2017, 03:13:30 PM

True.  Fleischer's RT was some of Flint's earliest tooth work, wasn't it.  Casanovas was artist on Millar's Robohunter.  Wasn't Parkhouse drawing the world cup Big Dave?

TordelBack

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 August, 2017, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 August, 2017, 03:13:30 PM

True.  Fleischer's RT was some of Flint's earliest tooth work, wasn't it.  Casanovas was artist on Millar's Robohunter.  Wasn't Parkhouse drawing the world cup Big Dave?

Yeah, and L'il Coleby (also on RT) drew some of the worst scripts ever to appear in 2000AD. Ezquerra drew possibly THE worst Dredd episode, the closest rivals for that 'accolade' being drawn by Ron Smith and Mick Austin. And despite their considerable talents those episodes are too awful to think about, except to mourn the wasted talent.

robert_ellis

I think those looking for complete runs of longer stories will be disappointed. Much as the MegaCollection doesn't repeat the Casefiles - I'd imagine this would be the same. Can't wait to hear the Podcast with Matt Smith.

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: robert_ellis on 08 August, 2017, 10:43:34 PM
I think those looking for complete runs of longer stories will be disappointed. Much as the MegaCollection doesn't repeat the Casefiles - I'd imagine this would be the same. Can't wait to hear the Podcast with Matt Smith.

Rather than complete collections, I've re-evaluated, and hope that this contains enough to give what feels like a full story to each character/series, which I think the Mega Collection achieved. It has to live up to that Ultimate name

abelardsnazz

Just listened to the latest Thrill-cast and there's some major revelations from Tharg on there as to what will be included - I won't put any spoilers to give people a chance to listen.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2017, 07:27:06 PM
Yeah, and L'il Coleby (also on RT) drew some of the worst scripts ever to appear in 2000AD. Ezquerra drew possibly THE worst Dredd episode, the closest rivals for that 'accolade' being drawn by Ron Smith and Mick Austin. And despite their considerable talents those episodes are too awful to think about, except to mourn the wasted talent.

Do on, you've got to reveal which Dredd episode you think is worst now!  I'm guessing the Mick Austin contender is Crusade?  And is the Ron Smith one Sugar Beat?

moly

Listened to the prog cast even more looking forward to this now, full run of Dante it does sound like it will be the ultimate collection

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 09 August, 2017, 08:18:45 AM
Do on, you've got to reveal which Dredd episode you think is worst now!  I'm guessing the Mick Austin contender is Crusade?  And is the Ron Smith one Sugar Beat?

My opinion fluctuates hourly, but as these are stories that I didn't read at the time, having already flounced off in disgust during Book of the Dead, I've only read them once and then in a disgusted peeking-throughmy-fingers rush, so my judgement may not be fair to those involved. But despite the usual excellent work of the three artists, I single out: Frankenstein Division, Judge Tyrannosaur and Crusade.   

There may be worse Dredds that are so poor, muddled and vacant (or badly drawn) that they have slipped out of awareness, but these three are memorably bad, even though I've only barely read them.

IndigoPrime

I just changed the topic of the thread. I figured these aren't tests any more!

Davgardo

I will be curious to see the repro on the 70's & 80's stuff.

Some of the Dredd Mega Collection repro was superior to the Case Files (colour spreads etc) while some was just the same. So I'll watch with interest to see whether early Slaine, ABC Warriors Black Hole etc fair any better (if included).
For example, I'll probably stick with the Halo Jones Titan releases and the Nemesis Deviant Edition and look to see comments on here about the quality of further 70's & 80's releases.
Also, while it'd be nice to have hardbacks of Shakara, Bad Company and Button Man, if they're not as comprehensive as the PB's I own it'd be hard to justify.
Feel a bit guilty/disloyal about doing all that but my pockets aren't bottomless!

IndigoPrime

Frankly, it's all about business. There's for me no 'loyalty' argument with any of this stuff. If Matt went mad and decided 2000 AD should just be 28 pages of Junker: The Further Adventures every month, I wouldn't buy it just because.

With this collection, there has to be a value proposition to each person that justifies the outlay. If someone cannot afford it or doesn't want to replace existing collections with these new ones, fair dos. That doesn't mean they're somehow being a bad person with regards to 2000 AD.