Main Menu

Janus Stark from Rebellion/ Treasury of British Comics

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 23 November, 2019, 10:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

My copy of this arrived today, a whole week before I was expecting it. And by crikey, it's a lovely thing. Yes, its "magazine format", not a "proper paperback", but yes it does have a spine. Sadly though the spine is just solid black with no identifying text. But at least it's there. And that is literally the only thing even a grumpy old tossed like me can moan about because everything else is beautiful. Even the heavy paper stock is gorgeous.

Obviously I've not read it yet, because i want to savour it and currently my wife is wobbling about giving up Gregg's sausage rolls and going to Argos.

When I've read it, i will comment. At the moment suffice to say it features the strips from Smash! 15th March to 7th June 1969. And its lovely.

SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

Stevie's ordered his copy & fingers crossed that it lobs up in Oz this side of Crimbo.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

robprosser

Just noticed volume 2 is in the Shop now and available. Duly ordered.

janus stark

imagine my surprise when i saw this . then i realise its not about me.

robprosser

I see that volume 3 is up for pre-order but in digital only. That's a bit disappointing having bought the previous 2 in hard copy.

Colin YNWA

Arh its now showing as Print - which might explain when I saw your message in the 'Upcoming Thrills' thread and went to the shop I couldn't see it at all. Maybe it was added in error as digital only?

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCA-B0121

robprosser

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robprosser on 23 June, 2021, 11:44:37 AM
Well that's good news!

Well it would be if I wasn't such a numb nut.

Finding that I remember I had my 50% off sub voucher and so inspired by my desire to get this popped to the shop to do a quick trawl to add things I'd not ordered yet and get a nice big order in.

Managed to do that and I have a lovely big order in at a very good price... I of course forgot to add Janus Stark Vol. 3 to it - the very reason I started the order in the first place!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up- though as usual, Rebellion seem to price the postage as if gold-plated robotic carrier pigeons are delivering it to my house in a silken envelope.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 23 June, 2021, 04:27:58 PM
Ordered. Thanks for the heads up- though as usual, Rebellion seem to price the postage as if gold-plated robotic carrier pigeons are delivering it to my house in a silken envelope.

Oh don't you get that. I pay the extra and have an eagle swoop down with my silken envelopes.

The Corinthian

Has anyone explained why this is getting released in such thin volumes? It's a major series in British comics history and I can't understand why it's not being collected along similar lines to The Trigan Empire, Charley's War, The Spider, etc.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Corinthian on 21 July, 2021, 10:43:03 PM
Has anyone explained why this is getting released in such thin volumes? It's a major series in British comics history and I can't understand why it's not being collected along similar lines to The Trigan Empire, Charley's War, The Spider, etc.

This ^^^

I've just got the 1st one and it is a thing of beauty, a collected hardback would be even nicer but.

DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

A great showman hero who helps out the starving kids and the dispossessed, who remembers where he came from and fights injustice, couldn't happen in the real world could it?
DDT did a job on me

The Corinthian

Quote from: Proudhuff on 28 July, 2021, 12:56:17 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 21 July, 2021, 10:43:03 PM

This ^^^

I've just got the 1st one and it is a thing of beauty, a collected hardback would be even nicer but.

By my reckoning there's around 650 pages of Janus Stark from 'Smash!' and 'Valiant'. There's probably about 100 or so pages in IPC Annuals and Specials (excluding reprints). That would fit very nicely into a four-volume set released at the rate of one or two per year. 50 page chunks at irregular intervals feels a bit counterintuitive.