Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Fraser

Ross & Cromarty is not a bad guess at all, though I've never lived there, all the rest of my immediate family do. Glad you enjoyed the Podcast. We're excited to do more. We might even do Interviews .

Si.

WhizzBang

I really enjoyed this - thanks for doing it Simon and Edie. Will you be posting  here when new ones come out?

Colin YNWA

Caught up with Episode 1 while chopping down bushes this morning. Yep as good as the second and really looking forward to the episodes to come.

davidbishop

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 February, 2021, 09:42:16 PM
Listened to episode #1 and really enjoyed the easy banter. Love: space egg, chess horses. Also fascinating to hear how little feedback the creators were getting from editorial - sounds a little "The Man From Del Monte ... He Commission Another Series".

When creators are doing great work, the best thing an editor can do is shut up and get them paid on time. #YMMV

Woolly

Quote from: davidbishop on 28 February, 2021, 05:09:59 PM
Listened to episode #1 and really enjoyed the easy banter. Love: space egg, chess horses. Also fascinating to hear how little feedback the creators were getting from editorial - sounds a little "The Man From Del Monte ... He Commission Another Series".

When creators are doing great work, the best thing an editor can do is shut up and get them paid on time. #YMMV

Sorry to derail the thread but: Did you commission Dante, or was it just pitched to you?
Inquiring minds, etc... ;)

Funt Solo

Seems reasonable. (It's not as if I can argue from either the perspective of a comic creator or a comic editor.)

There's a sense, partly from Tharg stories in the prog (where all the droids work together in a fictional Nerve Centre) and even a bit from The Mighty One (MacManus, 2016) of something of a collaborative office and pub culture, of the creative teams being literally close to each other in their working relationship. (I know that, even then, many artists mailed their work in - so that the pub part would only come to pass if people ... came to pass.)

Some commentary from Pat Mills suggests that editor-creator relations have become more professional - perhaps more transactional - over time. Probably it depends on the personalities involved to some extent, but it was interesting to hear from Simon that feedback was mostly via the Input page of the comic.

Anyway - Dante was brilliant! Definitely one of the cornerstones that hauled the comic back up onto its feet after it spent too long in Vegas and ended up destitute in a low-rent back alley.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

davidbishop

Quote from: Woolly on 28 February, 2021, 05:12:54 PM

Sorry to derail the thread but: Did you commission Dante, or was it just pitched to you?
Inquiring minds, etc... ;)

John Tomlnson got Robbie & Simon started on Dante, but it was still being developed when I became Tharg [18 Dec 1995]. IIRC I was the one who suggested the story start before the Tsar Wars, to give the creators time to flesh out the supporting cast and make readers care...

davidbishop

But all credit for the greatness of Dante goes to Robbie, Simon and later John Burns.

Funt Solo

Got inspired to update one of my charts a bit...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Late to the party on these but I listened to episode 1 this morning. Fantastic stuff. Really insightful on some of the background and art influences and like Colin says the chemistry between Edie and Simon makes it a relaxed and fun listen - I sometimes find stuff like this so be a bit 'bantz-y' and it's like listening to someone elses annoying mates, not this!
A re-read of Dante is something I like to do every year or two so I'm definitely going to read along. Will do part 2 when I've read part 2.

Thanks for doing these!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

More thanks from me, now that I've listened to them.  Great fun; and it sounds like you have the perfect marriage!  I always love to have these insights into the workings of the story; and finding out all the bits I missed.  (I was never sure if that seductress's tongue was supposed to be longer than normal or whether it was a bit of artistic licence.)  Always thought it was interesting how Dante suddenly upped the prog's sex factor so dramatically and suddenly - it was unashamedly filthy, even, as Edie points out, before any proper swearing was allowed.

Looking forward to more of these.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Simon Fraser

Quote from: davidbishop on 28 February, 2021, 10:19:38 PM
But all credit for the greatness of Dante goes to Robbie, Simon and later John Burns.
David is being modest.  Dante got the support it needed from Editorial which is not something you can ever take for granted.

Si.

Simon Fraser

Ok folks we're now live on Spotify
And Stitcher
Apple Podcasts is coming

Thanks for your interest.

Simon.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

excited!

pocket casts as well, please!

Simon Fraser