Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Great stuff. Looking forward to both of your thoughts on the next one - the first Fraserless Dante, I think, and a story that's basically an extended and graphic sex scene.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Monarch

Hmm I am now curious why Chris used the psudonym for his Dante story now I hope its a better story than "I am not putting my name to the sex issue"

JayzusB.Christ

I thought that was weird too - we knew his real name already, for starters.  Also the name 'Spaceboy' would suggest someone with a slick and cool style like Rian Hughes, rather than the richly-detailed traditional penmanship of Chris Weston.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Simon Fraser

Hey All,

So Episode 3 of the Great Dante Readthrough is now up.

https://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/3/2/ep-3-the-gentleman-thief

It's also now available on iTunes, it will show up in the search in the next couple of days. So if you are an iTunes user would you be so kind as to drop a review on there?  Those things matter to a fledgling little Podcast like ours.

We're going to try and hit a Wednesday drop day every week.
Thanks for following along. We're appreciating all the nice feedback we've been getting.

Cheers

Simon & Edie

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Simon Fraser

The Monarch

so it was because he didn't want his name in the sex prog  :lol:

some parts of it did look off at the time....I don't get it why have a sex prog then censor it that feels a wee bit silly isn't it?

SpaceSpinner2000

Nice! can't wait to check this out as part of my own podcast prog slog!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Barrington Boots

Enjoying this so much. Doing a re-read and it's great picking up little details that I'd missed and where some of the influences have come from. More than anything else, it's a really fun and interesting listen.

Dante rules. A friend of mine picked up the first Hachette collection and was so disgusted with Dante as a hero he sent the book back to Hachette with a stern note. I still, to this day, cannot account for this act of absolute madness.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 04 March, 2021, 12:31:28 PM
Enjoying this so much. Doing a re-read and it's great picking up little details that I'd missed and where some of the influences have come from. More than anything else, it's a really fun and interesting listen.

Dante rules. A friend of mine picked up the first Hachette collection and was so disgusted with Dante as a hero he sent the book back to Hachette with a stern note. I still, to this day, cannot account for this act of absolute madness.

Loving the podcast too.  All the bits I missed.

Now, I must say I do understand where your mate was coming from - Whereas the return and note was a bit much, I thought Dante was a bit of a dick in the early days too.  While the story was excellent from the start, I found the character a narcissistic smart-arse whose witticisms I didn't find funny, charming or loveable at all; even Edie is a bit saddened by some of the dick moves he made in the early days.

He grew on me as a character as he got older and more mature; in fact I liked him .

Simon Fraser

Rereading it now I'm kind of impressed just how obnoxious Dante was at the start. It's not until Rhudinstein that he actually behaves in any way decently.

Barrington Boots

Very true, Dante is a bellend in the early stuff.
It was more the overreaction, but perhaps I should ask him just how far he read, he may not have even got to Rhudinstein.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad Andy

I only ever got halfway through the original run because of life, but I've been saving my Hachette collection to do a full run through.

This is the perfect reason!

Also have some Dante artwork from The Romanov Dynasty Part 2 on my wall.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Aw, man, I miss Rik Mayall. Subtle as a chainsaw, but he made it work.