Main Menu

Brian Bolland Apex Edition

Started by Tjm86, 08 March, 2021, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Just stumbled across this little piece of new, an Apex edition of Bolland's work!

https://downthetubes.net/?p=125354

Nice.  If they decide to do the same for the Apocalypse War then I'm selling my granny!

Colin YNWA

Wow well that will be quite something. I imagine in the £100+ bracket so the only question will be can I justify the expense. This will sorely tempt me.

I'm a little surprised its happening as the Zenith Apex didn't seem to do too way - based purely on the fact its still around* and has been on 50% sale a couple of times - I know I broke when it was half price. Might well have been expected and I've no idea how many were printed AND it was just after another premium Zenith edition which might have dampened its market (all very much ????) ... so who knows.

Mind Bolland has a much wider recognistion and this will be a thing of beauty. So good luckk to Rebellion tracking down the art and I look forward to details of price and what not in the future.

*Actually this is no longer correct as it now seems to have sold out in the store.

Colin YNWA

Oh and this article is primarily serving as a call for original art that Rebellion can scan. So if any of you are lucky enough to own any of these:

2000 AD Prog 110 ('Punks Rule') pages 5, and 6
2000 AD Prog 120 ('Forever Crimes') pages 1, 2, and 5
2000 AD Prog 182 ('Block War') pages 3, and 5
2000 AD Prog 224 ('Judge Death Lives') pages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
2000 AD Prog 225 pages 1, 2, 3
2000 AD Prog 226 pages 1, 2, 3, 6
2000 AD Prog 227 pages 1, 2 and 4
2000 AD Prog 228 pages 1, 2
2000 AD Prog 244 ('Block Mania') pages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6

Well firstly I hate you and secondly get in touch with Rebellion  so they can get this produced!

Woolly

Now this is something I'd love to see!

It'll be veeeery interesting to see which (if any) pages of artwork manage to get rescanned - I'd imagine some of them might be the infamous lost/stolen Bolland art?

I'm gonna stop there, because with every word I type this is sounding more and more like a Magaverse* Farcebook post... :o

*(that was a typo, but I've left it as it works better)

Max Headroom

Woolly - What's the story with the infamous lost/stolen art?

Tomwe

Wow this is indeed now a thorny subject. Assuming anyone currently in possession of a page was willing to allow it to be scanned, would it be ethical to do it and not question the owner on where they got it? Stories about not having a paper trail would be nonsense?

Max Headroom

Interesting article; thanks for sharing, Ming. Is it just the Bolland stuff that is missing or is a lot of early 2000ad material no longer available?

Woolly

Quote from: Tomwe on 08 March, 2021, 04:25:30 PM
Wow this is indeed now a thorny subject. Assuming anyone currently in possession of a page was willing to allow it to be scanned, would it be ethical to do it and not question the owner on where they got it? Stories about not having a paper trail would be nonsense?

Definitely. Part of me is sorry for ever mentioning this - I kinda hope it *is* a sting to try and get Bolland some pages back!

But back on topic - my Dokk! Can you even imagine how good a new scan of Bolland's classic art could look?!
This is on my watch list, without a doubt!

Woolly

ESPECIALLY if it's all printed on non-glossy pages!

Woolly

Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 March, 2021, 05:35:22 PM
Interesting article; thanks for sharing, Ming. Is it just the Bolland stuff that is missing or is a lot of early 2000ad material no longer available?

I would imagine the vast amount of early 2000AD art is lost/destroyed, based on the stories of IPC's mistreatment of alot of pages.
Using original pages from the 50s Eagle to soak up a leak?!?
Even in those days, what kind of madman would do that?!

Colin YNWA

What a dreadful story. I was aware of the basic point but had never read anything with the detail. While human nature means I can understand some folks be reluctant to return stuff that could be worth a lot of month its a shame that folks don't at least reach out and offer such weak defenses.

As for sharing art one prominant dealer has already said they won't be - which is a shame. Seeing any of the stolen art also seems very unlikely too.

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 March, 2021, 05:42:29 PM
As for sharing art one prominant dealer has already said they won't be - which is a shame. Seeing any of the stolen art also seems very unlikely too.

This wouldn't happen to be the same guy who said Rebellion could have a new scan of Horned God art if they paid him a cool million (and then laughed), would it?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Woolly on 08 March, 2021, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 March, 2021, 05:42:29 PM

This wouldn't happen to be the same guy who said Rebellion could have a new scan of Horned God art if they paid him a cool million (and then laughed), would it?

I strongly suspect so.

Max Headroom

Quote from: Woolly on 08 March, 2021, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 March, 2021, 05:35:22 PM

I would imagine the vast amount of early 2000AD art is lost/destroyed, based on the stories of IPC's mistreatment of alot of pages.
Using original pages from the 50s Eagle to soak up a leak?!?
Even in those days, what kind of madman would do that?!

A real shame. I guess they knew not what folly they were committing and could have saved a lot of people a lot of angst now.