Main Menu

Brian Bolland Apex Edition

Started by Tjm86, 08 March, 2021, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 August, 2021, 07:29:27 PM
Says a lot about so-called fandom if certain parties are keeping pages back to spite Rebellion.

Although you have to wonder whether their reluctance might also be due to the absence of that all-important red ink signature on some of those pages...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lorenzo

This looks really sweet. I hope this sells well as it looks like a lot of effort has gone into this.
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave the signed "bound page" loose as an insert, I'm sure there's quite a few of us that would want that framed.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 August, 2021, 07:26:30 AMAlthough you have to wonder whether their reluctance might also be due to the absence of that all-important red ink signature on some of those pages...
Well, quite. Some of these people are great fans and slam Rebellion for "screwing over creators" and yet... likely own stolen art. I guess people really can hold multiple conflicting views in their heads.

Quote from: Lorenzo on 03 August, 2021, 08:24:58 AMI wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave the signed "bound page" loose as an insert, I'm sure there's quite a few of us that would want that framed.
Might be worth pinging them a line on that.

As for the limited version, there's no telling how many will be printed. If it was me, I'd be suitably vague and just round-up to the nearest big number after the end of the pre-orders. No reason to set a specific number. (*cough*Dark Horse Usagi Yojimbo 2021 disaster*cough*)

Lorenzo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 August, 2021, 09:46:38 AM...
Quote from: Lorenzo on 03 August, 2021, 08:24:58 AMI wonder if it wouldn't be better to leave the signed "bound page" loose as an insert, I'm sure there's quite a few of us that would want that framed.
Might be worth pinging them a line on that...

Done! I'll let everyone know what they say.

Swerty

As an aside he mentions on his Facebook page he's currently drawing a cover for 2000ad

Magnetica

I was tempted by this, and indeed I went to buy it today, but it was excluded from my subscriber 50% discount voucher. 85 quid more than the standard version for a slip case, an additional print and a "number plate" seems like a lot.

BPP

I'm oot as I'm not mr statics biggest fan but 85 quid for an exclusive print, signature and edition that will doubtless rocket in value probably isn't that bad. Bolland is in the pantheon of artists whose collectables are going to increase in price for a long time.

Let's say if it was McMahon I'd be raiding my penny jar despite 150 being a absolute wedge of cash.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2021, 09:27:09 AMLet's say if it was McMahon I'd be raiding my penny jar despite 150 being a absolute wedge of cash.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Rebellion doing the same for the McMahon equivalent that's coming down the pipe.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 August, 2021, 09:42:19 AM
Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2021, 09:27:09 AMLet's say if it was McMahon I'd be raiding my penny jar despite 150 being a absolute wedge of cash.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Rebellion doing the same for the McMahon equivalent that's coming down the pipe.

Yeah looking at this I realised I'd not bought similar volumes for Eisner, Jeff Smith's Bone or David Mazzucchelli's Born Again, so I couldn't justify going for this.

Now if that McMahon volume ever came to light that would be a MUCH harder question...

Lorenzo

I got a response back from Rebellion about whether the bound page could be left loose for framing:

Quote from: RebellionNow I took your query to the powers that be and discovered that there was already discussion had about exactly what you propose.
Sadly it seems that we get request for both ways round, separate for framing AND bound to increase the perceived value of the object itself.
On this occasion they went bound but there's every possibility that future similar products may have it loose.

I can see why leaving it loose may not be such a good idea for the perceived (resale)value of the book, but it certainly is a shame. Pushes me into the "I'm not sure it's worth it camp". My resistance will probably crumble before October. Interesting comment about future similar products, though.

seanharry

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 05 August, 2021, 09:56:55 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 August, 2021, 09:42:19 AM

Yeah looking at this I realised I'd not bought similar volumes for Eisner, Jeff Smith's Bone or David Mazzucchelli's Born Again, so I couldn't justify going for this.

Now if that McMahon volume ever came to light that would be a MUCH harder question...

I was contacted about a McMahon Apex edition currently being put together, but when I told them what the two pages of his work that I owned where, they lost interest. Probably because they where ABC Warriors and Ro-Busters pages and not Judge Dredd.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: seanharry on 06 August, 2021, 11:24:47 PM
Probably because they where ABC Warriors and Ro-Busters pages and not Judge Dredd.

That makes me sad — Mick's work on the Fall and Rise of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein, especially, is a very significant point in his artistic evolution. His work was very 'brushy' for much of the period prior, but his self-expressed desire to compete with Kev O'Neill led him into a much harder, sharper pen-based line that's informed most of his work since then. For me, that Ro-Busters series, followed by his work on ABC Warriors, was the point where Mick's work 'clicked' for me, and I was prepared to follow him wherever he wanted to go in developing his style.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Firstly YAH! If a Mike McMahon volume is being prepared, but I agree it would be a shame if they focused on Dredd and Slaine (one assumes) it would be great to see a variety of his work.

It would also be nice to see his work from across his career. I love McMahon's work thoughout his career and would love to see some of his later work included (if its not digital???) and not just his so called 'classic' stuff.

Magnetica

I ordered the standard i.e. the non slipcase edition today. Didn't see any comms from Rebellion that this version is now on sale. Thinking about it, it has been for a while, it just didn't register with me that this was the non slipcase edition.

BTW it's a tenner for p&p!

Also the slop case editor no loner seems to be on the 2000AD web shop.

Swerty

On the Brian Bolland appreciation Facebook page he reports someone his selling one of his stolen pages from The Cursed Earth saga.Also a cover for a certain comics anniversary.