Main Menu

Colin MacNeil or Simon Bisley - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 14

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 May, 2021, 06:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Not much to say here really is there, the CHAMPION of the Current Team, the most popular artist of this time. Can even an artist who changed the very face of art in the Galaxy's Greatest - for good and ill - take this tie? Mind it took a finalist to put him out of the Classic tourney in the 2nd round so who knows?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Colin MacNeil - more info

OR

Simon Bisley - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 23rd May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

rogue69

Tomwe

Gotta remind myself it's only 2000ad work that counts here, and as such:
Colin MacNeil - 2 (sorry Colin)

Simon Bisley - 3

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 20 May, 2021, 06:57:51 AM
Gotta remind myself it's only 2000ad work that counts here, and as such:
Colin MacNeil - 2 (sorry Colin)

Simon Bisley - 3

I think that's a really good point in this one. Often artists have gone on to even better things on leaving the Prog. For me though Simon Bisley's best work by far is in Tharg's Organ and his later work has gone down hill.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Simon shone brightly for his tenure in the GGC, but Colin has delivered so much consistently over the years it seems churlish not to recognise that.

Colin MacNeil 4, Simon Bisley 1.

Dudley

MacNeil 2
Bisley 3

It would be 2.5 apiece but that's not allowed, right?

broodblik

I agree that his earlier work especially Horned God was awesome but his later work was not that good

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 May, 2021, 08:05:38 AM
For me though Simon Bisley's best work by far is in Tharg's Organ and his later work has gone down hill.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

McNeil 4, Bisley 1
Even if we're just basing it on work printed in 1990-1991, that's still McNeil on Song of the Surfer and America, vs Horned God and Judgement on Gotham, so not exactly an easy choice.
When you factor in Insurrection + a bajillion amazingly consistent Dredds, easy win for McNeil. Come on!

Also, are these the only two artists to illustrate on-panel ejaculations?
(Bisley in that one Heavy Metal Dredd, McNeil in that one Strange and Darke)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dudley on 20 May, 2021, 08:46:51 AM
It would be 2.5 apiece but that's not allowed, right?

That's right I demand a perference - DEMAND IT....

TordelBack

Bisley is one of the most important artists in the history of the comic,Black Hole and Horned God tower above all in their era (even Colin's early, brilliant, work is in their shadow), and he set a perhaps unfortunate but ultimately crucial target for many who came after - including Colin.

Colin debuted about a year before Bisley, with the very funny (to me) Ulysses Sweet, and has never stopped. I've spent ages in these various poll threads singing Colin's praises, his parade of ever-evolving disparate styles, his complete understanding of storytelling, his peerless bullet wounds, his crazy jagged shadows, the purely ludicrous number of pivotal stories he's been tasked with drawing (and whether their hallowed place in the canon owes just as much to how he drew them as the stories themselves)... I could and have gone on.  It's a measure of just how good Bisley is that he's managed to claw back even a single point against this force of nature.

Colin 4 to Bisley 1.

Dog Deever

Loved Bisley's ABC Warriors, some of Slaine Horned God was brilliant, but some of it really, really wasn't. What else is there really?
It's a walk in the park for Colin for me.
MacNeil Caledonian 4 Bisley Athletic FC 1
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.