Main Menu

The Moses Incident V Incident on Mayger Minor - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 July, 2021, 06:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Moses Incident V Incident on Mayger Minor  - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 03

The titanic struggles that will shape the toughest qualifying region continue as we get Games 3 and 4 in the 'Long' Region, these from Group 2

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

The Moses Incident - more info

Vs

Incident on Mayger Minor - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 30th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

paddykafka

The Moses Incident - for one of my favourite 'Tooth villains: Malak Brood.

Barrington Boots

This one's my hill to die on, because Incident on Mayger Minor is my absolute favourite SD story.

I've always enjoyed the Western elements of SD and this is I think the most Western-y tale: mysterious gunfighter shows up at a ranch needing a place to sleep and ends up helping a poor rancher in trouble. On one level it sounds quite generic, but's got enough sci-fi twists and dark 2000ad humour to make it a classic.

It's very low stakes, which is one of the things I really like about it: everything has room to breathe. The plot is a slow build towards an inevitable climax. Mrs. Froggett is a beautifully written character with her initial hostility to Alpha slowly turning to admiration and attraction. She's also a brave single mother and not a 'sexy' femme fatale or a damsel in distress, which I think is something we don't see enough of. She's constantly denigrated by the villains throughout for her appearance so her attempt to flirt Alpha is a brave move and the scene where she asks him to stay with her and he can't is a heartbreaker.
Chinky Goober is also a great villain - he's a classic bully, completely inept, outclassed by Alpha at every point and given enough chances to redeem himself before he meets his unremarkable end. His threat comes from being greedy and stupid rather than superpowered and he and his family are believable antagonists. I also really love his dubious sounding name coming from his stupid coin-jingling habit - "Damn! Just can't chink proper with my left hand!" - it's the right combination of serious and outright stupid that I love in 2000ad (pecial mention to his brother being called Whippy because he carries a whip)  Sy Goober is also great as the cunning patriach.

Alpha himself is in full Clint Eastwood mode, polite but surly, and totally menacing, utterly in control of the situation, gives his word and means it. The scene at the end where he mercilessly guns down all the Goobers at once is very Spaghetti Western; just great. I think this is the first post-Rage story and whilst he's pretty grim, he's unreservedly a good guy.

It also ends on a terrible joke.

I suppose if there's a criticism of it there isn't really enough sci-fi here, but I think it's an overlooked gem in the SD archives. I believe Moses Incident is very highly regarded here (it's a good story, but I've never really been big on supernatural elements in the strip) so this may well be the last time I can enthuse about this particular story, which is why I've done so at small length. No apologies! I love it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 July, 2021, 09:27:53 AM
This one's my hill to die on, because Incident on Mayger Minor is my absolute favourite SD story.

I'll be fighting right there with you.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Mayger Minor's good and all, but the Moses Quest Quest was my introduction to Johnny and Wulf, so The Moses Incident gets my vote.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 July, 2021, 09:29:20 AM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 July, 2021, 09:27:53 AM

I'll be fighting right there with you.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 27 July, 2021, 09:30:17 AM
I love you Colin!

I feel a sense of dissidents with the party-line not strictly adhered too. We might need to call in the official clean-up team
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

It'll be interesting to see if all those who voted against Blood Moon because they prefer happy endings follow that same logic here, because The Moses Incident is pretty bleak! It's an absolute classic - and having Wulf in it nearly gives it the edge - but I think I have to go Incident on Mayger Minor here. I wish we'd had more Stront tales like this. I love that it's just Johnny on his lonesome; I love that it's so relatively low-stakes; I love the Froggits (BB is right, she's probably one of the better female characters Tooth has ever had); I love it when Johnny bellows 'Goobers!' on that final cliffhanger and you can feel their hearts sink into their boots.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Barrington says everythingthat needs saying about how brilliant Incident is, but my heart belongs to "The Moses Incident".

Partly because I dont have a problem with the supernatural elements (well, until The Final Solution, and thats because of how they are handled) but also because it is more ambitious - you can argue it goes a bit far (How does Alpha not end up on the wrong end of the law when he hijacks that space ship?) , but the fact it pushes the character further than Incident (and most other Stront strips) has also made this a winner for me

Add in what a great villain Malak Brood is (compare and contrast to Sabbat!)  and the way the theme of guilt is so well integrated into the set up and the resolution.... masterly story telling

Funt Solo

Incident on Mayger Minor, partly because of Barrington's impassioned promotion. I also preferred the stories with fewer magical elements.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

The Moses Incident for me (Is it a false memory that this is also known as 'The Moses Quest'? Is his name Moses Quest, is that it?!).

I do like 'Incident' and did fancy the frog lady but woke points lost for the character 'Chinky'. I know he chinks but why focus on that?

Magnetica

I genuinely can't decide. Malak Brood is one of the best 2000AD villains ever and Incident Mayger Minor has a nice charm to it. And B Boots has made a very good case for it.

Hmmm.

So let's go with Boots. I prefer Western Stront to space wizards Stront, so Incident gets my vote.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Rogue Judge

Incident on Mayger Minor. I'd agree this is one of the best there is. A lone stranger astride a mork rides into a town to help a widow deal with an evil land baron...pure western!

Also, I much prefer the Western & War SD stories over the magic/supernatural elements. I do prefer the Moses Incident over other supernatural stories like Journey into Hell, the Final Solution etc.