Main Menu

New Dredd Movie, Whats Happening to it??

Started by F943X, 01 August, 2008, 12:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Whilst I'm in the middle of a not-malaise, what say ye, the boarders, to a non-supernatural Judge Death? Anyone? No! Don't hurt mmmmeeeeeeee
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Hoagy

Sir Jay Leone's Once Upon A Time in the Cursed Earth, would be a marsterpiece.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Simpleton"Whilst I'm in the middle of a not-malaise, what say ye, the boarders, to a non-supernatural Judge Death? Anyone? No! Don't hurt mmmmeeeeeeee

I've thought about this before -cos I'm no fan of dimension jumps and time travel in stories- and came up with the idea that if they wanted a "slightly" more believable D'eath character for a film version of Dredd, they could make him a fanatical cursed earth mutant who wants everyone to die after the Atom War. It would also make it more logical for him being an inversion of a Judge coming from the same world and not from some other dimension that also has Judges for some vague reason. A undying mutant that can't die because his mutated genes no longer age. I'm sure the rest of his dark brothers could be explained in a similar way.

JOE SOAP

The one director, who at this moment I feel could be the most capable of producing a resonant Dredd film, is Paul Greengrass.

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: "garageman"The one director, who at this moment I feel could be the most capable of producing a resonant Dredd film, is Paul Greengrass.

Good point, although I kind of feel like he would make Dredd into too much of a villain.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "Simpleton"
Quote from: "garageman"The one director, who at this moment I feel could be the most capable of producing a resonant Dredd film, is Paul Greengrass.

Good point, although I kind of feel like he would make Dredd into too much of a villain.

I don't think Greengrass is ever that black and white.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "dandontdare"On the subject, is there any recent news on that Judge Minty fan film that I heard so much about after Bristol? I've just had a quick squiz at the facebook page and all seems to have gone quiet...

Thanks for the interest. It's still progressing. Went a bit quite as we all concentrated on paying work. I think we are waiting until we've got some real progress and nice images again, before posting updates.

Quote from: "dweezil2"It always should of been Ridley Scott (even Danny Cannon thought so). Alternatively, Tony Scott or maybe even a Terry Gilliam version could of been interesting. Nolan's great at tension though, as anyone who's seen Insomnia should agree.

I've no idea what Gilliam's take on Dredd would be, but it sure wouldn't be boring. His dark humour and visual genius would work well. I think he's great. It would most likely be 'his' take on the character though, rather than an accurate portrayal of the comic Dredd? Same goes for the Scott boys. Possibly a good thing if they pick the bits of Dredd that you like?

Also, I think Ed Harris would make an excellent Dredd. He's got the authority and no mater how ridiculous the character he's always totally committed.

Steven Sterlacchini

Quote from: "Simpleton"I was thinking about Dredd movies today, and it occured to me that Block Mania would be the ideal basis for the story (at least in the first flick). By this I mean *just* Block Mania and no Apocalypse War. Any thoughts?

I agree.

You could build it up nicely, starting with future crimes as they escalate and the situation gets more out of control.

Nice visuals of crowds streaming out of Dan Tanna block chanting "TANNA TANNA TANNA!" Finally leading to the confrontation with Orlok and revealing the true cause of Block Mania..? How about linking it into Judge Cal trying to take over the city in the mayhem?

If you wanted a more personal story I always loved Chopper's first outing "The Midnight Surfer", shows beautifully how the city crushes the little people. And "America" would be a good film to go out on, especially if you've been building Dredd up as a hero. They're not as epic, but I think the best Dredd stories are more personal.

IndigoPrime

For me, there are two readymade Dredd stories. The first would be starting off with some basic intro, but then doing a segue into the first Judge Death story. If there's time, this could be squeezed into the first half, leaving the second half for when Death's buddies show up.

The other is America, which would be rather relevant in today's political climate, and also be a very different type of comic-book movie.

Hoagy

The story for the Curded Earth goes well beyond any typical superhero format. It's starts as a western with the rider with no name coming in. Who is eventually revealed to be Judge Dredd. Who is to end up facing Death in the Cursed Earth with the final act opening in the Mega City..

As he finally dresses in a uniform and his eyes  replaced, the "dead man" reveals his identity.  Death, who is at first the hunter of Dredd, flees back to the safety of MC 1, hunted by Dredd on a lawmaster Mark 1.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: "opaque"The only way I can see it working now is a completely CGI'd version.
Perhaps technology has still to catch up with J.D. It took 20-30 years for Hollywood to catch up with the visions of Philip K.Dick and 50 years to depict Tolkiens 'Lord of the Rings' so maybe we need another little leap tech wise in order to make the highly detailed world of Judge Dredd not so financially daunting .
 Animation is hideously expensive and whatever those Hollywood moguls pretend about making 'art' it'sthe bottom line that matters !
Still I think a fully fledged CG film sounds like a good idea. Er ,I think I can get DAZ for free for a month and photoshop too....
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green

The Minty film is still happening - not sure what Steve S has been up to lately, but I've been up to my eyes in work.

I work as a freelancer and the first half of the year was pretty quiet due to people cutting budgets because of the economy going a bit tits.

Lately I've had a lot of work which is due to continue for a good few weeks. Shooting on Minty wasn't due to start until 2009 anyway, and Dan's been busy on some other stuff.

- Steve

Steven Sterlacchini

Hi Steve,
I'm el-lopo on this board.

Yep I've been busy too, mainly trying to get another project 'put to bed' to leave myself totally free to concentrate on Minty, which for me is 'the big one'.

I keep picking up bits and bobs (props), which hopefully may help Dan. I'm also hoping to sell my old classic car to free up some cash for Minty. I've got a lovely shopping list of stuff bookmarked on my computer.

As you say 2009 was always the scheduled filming time, I know it's long time for people to wait, but for me it's going to come around very quickly.

Steve S

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "IAMTHESYSTEM"
Quote from: "opaque"Still I think a fully fledged CG film sounds like a good idea. Er ,I think I can get DAZ for free for a month and photoshop too....

What, like the Clone Wars?, nah, ya' don't want that.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Lay down the law ,Garageman! Yeah, I haven't seen it but it looks pretty awful. Just a money spinner for George Lucas and his bank account.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla