Main Menu

Y the Last Man on Disney+

Started by rogue69, 15 September, 2021, 09:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Just been to the UK premier of Disney+'s new show Y the Last Man based on  Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra 2002-08 Vertigo comic of the same name set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious cataclysmic event simultaneously killed every mammal with a Y chromosome but for one man, Yorick Brown

The first 3 episodes will be released of 22nd September with the other episodes being released every  Wednesday.

Not much happens in the first episode as it is just setting up the world and the characters just before the men all die, but it is well acted feels like it is going to be a good series

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: rogue69 on 15 September, 2021, 09:10:37 PM
Just been to the UK premier of Disney+'s new show Y the Last Man based on  Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra 2002-08 Vertigo comic of the same name set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious cataclysmic event simultaneously killed every mammal with a Y chromosome but for one man, Yorick Brown

The first 3 episodes will be released of 22nd September with the other episodes being released every  Wednesday.

Not much happens in the first episode as it is just setting up the world and the characters just before the men all die, but it is well acted feels like it is going to be a good series

One man and his monkey, surely?
Lock up your spoons!

Richard

A whole episode where nothing happens?

rogue69

you geta brief glimps of the world just after the disaster at the start then it's showing you the characters living their lives setting up who they were and what they did before,with small hints on what is about to happen with different animals behaviour and dead animal bodies about in different areas.Towards the end you get the extinction of all men and a glimps of the chaos around just as it happens. But most of it is just the main characters background storylines being established for what their roles will be in the other episode

It probably will work better when watched with episodes 2&3

Tiplodocus

I have to ask the obvious question... "Why is all men dying SUCH a disaster?" Well, short term anyway.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CalHab

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 September, 2021, 02:20:04 PM
I have to ask the obvious question... "Why is all men dying SUCH a disaster?" Well, short term anyway.
In the book, it's all males, rather than all men. Beyond the severe shock this would cause regarding everyone's son/father/brother/etc dying, there are countless practical implications. In the book, the point is made that most airline pilots are men, hence planes falling out of the sky. A number of nuclear programmes are male-oriented in terms of maintenance, which would cause power issues. Food supply would be hit extremely hard. And then there's the future of a planet where the vast majority of species are on the very brink of extinction.

The book is a good yarn, but it was pretty light touch on all those things, I thought.

AlexF

I loved the comic, pretty much the first thing I read each month when it came out. But the way society, especially TV-series-watching society talks and thinks about gender these days would have to have an enormous impact on how you told this specific story. I'm concerned it will have to try very hard to take those issues seriously - and they ARE serious issues - to the extent that there won't be much room left for the fun side of 'what if this crazy thing happened'.

broodblik

It is ok series so far. Unfortunately the only thing they did get right is Agent 355.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Lorenzo

It may not be dead yet though. The producers want to shop it to HBO Max.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Lorenzo on 20 October, 2021, 09:52:39 PM
It may not be dead yet though. The producers want to shop it to HBO Max.

Might get to see it then! Hating how a lot of good stuff on D+ and no where else, no I won't subscribe  >:(
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Haven't read the comic. But we just watched the first episode last night. Great fun.

judgeurko

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 October, 2021, 04:23:49 PM
Haven't read the comic. But we just watched the first episode last night. Great fun.

I am shocked you've not read it! It's good fun
Lock up your spoons!