Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 10 December, 2014, 05:51:54 PM
... Read this [Tooth and Claw], Fraction's ODY-C #1 and the prog in a sitting, all stunning in their own ways & made me happy.

ODY-C 1I was wondering if anyone else had read that. Just finished my stash (its taken since Saturday, I've been a busy boy!) and this is the fella I'm struggling most with, at times I was close to thinking I'd drop after this issue, not even giving it the three issue trial I like to give titles. But by the end I was really intrigued to see what was coming. The problem is I'm not sure I'm going to engage with the characters... I think... its structure I find a little unsuitable to the comic form and I wonder if its trying to be too ambitious without actually having a solid hook at the core to pull me in... and yet I'll be back. I found the artwork fussy, overworked and unclear, I found the psychodelic colouring clogged the art and hampered story... and yet I'll be back... I found the script to be laboured and unnatural, I've never read The Iliad or The Odyessy and so don't know whether its echoing that, and shouldn't need to care surely, yet I found it a barrier to engaging with a story I know in its basic form... and yet I'll be back.

See they gave you a heck of a lot of bang for ya buck and while I really struggled to get on with this it held enough to make me think it might be worth effort to work with and get into. I suspect if I do  might end up loving this... but then I have a habit of being wrong.What a curious comic this was and that alone can't be a bad thing.

Elsewhere there were some really so so comics this haul. Speaking of unclear and art clogging my enjoyment I got the Madman 3D Special, I didn't even know this existed by my LCS know me and put it aside. I should love this but I don't really like 3D comics, I find them hard to read and so 60 odd pages of it was just a chore. Which is a real shame as I think if I'd been able to relax with it the first story would have been brilliant. Ho hum

Another big old beast was the Flash Gordon Annual full of okay filler though. C.O.W.L. 6 was a let down I've been loving this series but this was a trite 60s comic pastiche and a cliched origin for a character thats been intriguing in the regular run. Boom! Ape comics are back, so I was gutted that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 1 was such an average comic, even with Dan McDaid art.

Wow so far, so disappointing, but luckily things start to improve from there, though its a steady climb. 11th Doctor Who 5 was a solid end to a solid classic Who story, but I'm so glad Simon Fraser is back next month. War Stories 3 was good, but for an Ennis WW2 tale a little flat. The Massive 29 was probably a brilliant comic, as good as any in the series, I just think I'm a bit bummed this isn't the ending for this magnificent comic I'd wanted.Still we see at re-read how it all holds together. Cyclops 7 keeps this series hanging in there, well until it gets cancelled I guess!

Sex 18 showed how to do an origin with a different art team, loved this. Hinterkind 13 showed us how to delve into the past, loved this too. Tooth and Claw 2 (or should that be Autumnlands?) wasn't as good as the first iss... actually it was wasn't it, this series is bloody GREAT! Lazarus 13 it seems like an age since I got one of these and its a fantastic sign tht it was so easy to get back into and fit right back in knowing whats going on. Rucka knows how to give good story I'll say that for him. Anyone ever read any of his novels out of interest?

So not a great haul, but when it was good it was good.

Hawkmumbler

Well last week was fun...

Dark Horse Presents 2014 #5 belts out some class entertainment with The Chaining being my pick of the month. Cracking little tale this is turning out to be. Meanwhile Django Zorro #2 dishes out the cool with a seriously well done sword on gun fight. Could be my favourite crossover story at the moment if not for...

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #19 and freaking Mothra taking on Battra! Holy shit on a stick! Seriously great series here and could go down as a classic chapter in the legacy of the Big G.

In Shadow Show #2 Neil Gaiman gives his love letter to Eric Bradbury buy....I'm not sure, as I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Next was Sandman Overture #4 and i'm sorry but I need to go to the beggining to remind myself what happened. ::)

Weekly Shonen Jump #3 seems to have let One-Punch Man vanish but the weeklys are still holding it all together. Bleach has been drool worthy these last few weeks.

Also, Dorohedoro v.14 and Monster v.2 are out so yaaaaaay!!!

Colin YNWA

I HAVEMORECOMICSIHAVEMORECOMICIHAVEMORECOMICS...

So therefore I feel compelled to tell you poor buggers what I think about um.

I too got DHP 5 but felt this was a bit of a water treader, Odin was throw away, I didn't dig The Chaining which didn't work in short form over 3 months for me, but might be storming when read back? Semiautomagic is as drab as the pun that names it. Wrestling Demons is okay but I expect better from Jimmy and Justin, Double Tap was pretty good and I loved The Mighty but resent its an advert... hmmm but next month she look better? Such is the way with anthologies.

Winterworld 5 hangs in there. Its typically good Chuck Dixon except that I'm not massively invested in the two leds. This one has another month. Little Nemo Return to Slumberland 3 wins me over with a wonderfully playful issue, just as I release its a 4 issue mini (I think?).

Copperhead 4 is great but Ishmael better be more than the cliched feared outside who comes good and turns guide through the badness I more than suspect he is? Li'l Depressed Boy 3's only problem is that it take about 5.64 seconds to read. Otherwise perfect.

Ragnarok 3 is almost just plain perfect. Flash Gordon 7 and this glorious series is almost over. I'm so sad I forgive then (Dynamite) another over-sized overpriced companion comic of okay filler with Flash Gordon Holiday Special fast on the heals on the Annual last time.Still it helps fill out the all to short main series. Loved Multiveristy 5 (is it I'm losing track with this lack of numbering thing) Thunderworld. my problem is this series hasn't really pulled together yet and most issues feel a little too disperate, which is the point but isn't working for me.

FBP 16 is comic of the haul as its bloody brilliant and you'll all be cursing the fact that you've not jumped on this bandwagon when the back issues are all worth 6587286576 quid cos there's a movie a coming and no bugger is reading this great book.

I love you all but not as much as I love my comics... my wife resents it when I say that too.

Happy festive comics you lot.

Hawkmumbler

Somewhat small haul this week with Grindhouse: Drive in Bleed out #2 proving once again that you can pay homage to the genre films of old without being over indulgent in the process. A somewhat sinister Christmas special comes to a close but I do wonder if it could have been condensed into a one shot even if typically these serials are 2 parters.

Timely at Christmas two issues of Doctor Who, 11th Doctor #6 has Simon Fraser back on art duties. I have nothing against Boo Cook, indeed at times i'm a staunch defender of his, but for me Simon is just one of the best sci-fi illustrators around. And a new 3 part story arc starts in 12th Doctor #3 and it looks a belter. Both titles thoroughly putting the TV series to shame ATM (sorry, controversial.)

Weekly Shonen Jump #4 has a real OH SHIT moment in Toriko as the Monkey King loses his cool. And is it me or is Hi-Fi Clusters actually getting a lot better. If the first few chapters had been as enjoyable as these last few weeks I would have voted it in off the bat.

The Adventurer

Now that things have stabilized in terms of line-up WSJ is pretty solid right now.

And I'll agree on Hi-Fi getting better week to week.

Its core premise is still SUPER flimsy though.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Oh, sure! I'm not gonna pretend that it's perfect but as far as slices of weekly sci-fi comic go it's still fun.

I'm holding out hope though that we'll get announcements for the next Jump Start line up soon, I think it should start in January some time. Either that or we get an already ongoing added to the line up, seeing as Hunter X Hunter doesn't seem to be coming back any time soon.

Hawkmumbler

Last comic drop of the year!

Star Trek Planet of the Apes #1 - I assume i'm not the only one picking this up? Reading Colins raving about the PotA comics has got me intruiged to get into the back catalogue ASAP. But this looks like good crossover fun in the mean time.

Weekly Shonen Jump: RKD-EK9 (one-shot) - A very enjoyable Future Shock type tale from the creative team behind Medaka Box/Jorge Joestar and Gakkyu Hotei/All You Need is Kill. And very enjoyable it is too, would like too see more collaborations between them, as Medaka Box had very similar themes but was plagued by tiering fan service.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 30 December, 2014, 11:50:49 AM
Last comic drop of the year!

And its slim pickins'!

Just one for me- the (*yawn*) controversial Miracleman Annual 1, featuring new work by Grant Morrison, Joe Quesada, Peter Milligan & Mike Allred.

Looks nice. http://marvel.com/news/comics/23788/all-new_miracleman_annual_1_unites_morrison_quesada_milligan_allred

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 30 December, 2014, 11:50:49 AM

Star Trek Planet of the Apes #1 - I assume i'm not the only one picking this up? Reading Colins raving about the PotA comics has got me intruiged to get into the back catalogue ASAP. But this looks like good crossover fun in the mean time.

Well yeah I do normally rant about the Ape books, well they were great BUT I have to be honest I'm passing on this one. I don't know the team AND to be honest they whole cross over thing kinda turned me off so I'm not counting it!

Hawkmumbler

We'll I'll give it my usual two issue test run before deciding weather to keep it or not.

IronGraham

I got the darwyn cooke detective variant it's so sweet
We're werewolves not swearwolves

sheridan

"In Shadow Show #2 Neil Gaiman gives his love letter to Eric Bradbury buy....I'm not sure, as I haven't had the chance to read it yet. "

I suspect you mean Ray Bradbury - not that there's owt wrong with Eric!

Hawkmumbler

DOH! You are indeed correct, sheridan. Such an obvious oversight.

Hawkmumbler

07/01/15
A new year, a new batch of comics. Zarjaz. :)

Usagi Yojimbo Senso #6: Concludes an epic anthropomorphic adventure and has me drooling to get into the previous adventures of Usagi. Top notch comics.

The Maxx Maxxamized #15: Is inbound to be yet another acid trip as this title starts to look like the Dave Sim's brain in the late 80's. Only thing is, Sam Kieth isn't a dick to boot.

Shadow Show #3: Yes, RAY Bradbury homages continue and the last two where really fun. So yeah, this ones sticking for now. It's only 5 issues so it makes for a fun little story.

War Stories #4: Time to take my adrenalin shot for the month. I've rather liked the last three issues but i'm not sure if I want to spill for the collected editions of the Dynamite run yet...

Weekly Shonen Jump #5: Apparently the editorial team have a big announcement this issue. Fingers crossed for Jojolion....

But, of course, 2000AD RETURNS!!!!!!!

The Adventurer

Looks like...

2000 AD 1912 - Current line-up is pretty okay. ULYSSES SWEET already seems a bit better then last time, THE ORDER could be absolutely bonkers with its genre mashing, and SAVAGE is sure to be Savage. Oh and DARK JUSTICE is sure to be the highlight.
TECH JACKET 7 - Series is still cooking with gas. But if there's one thing I've learned, don't get too attached to anyone or anything.
USAGI YOJIMBO: SENSO 6 - Sure has been a romp. Makes you glad to be a comic fan. (Aside to Hawkmonger, am I to understand you've not read any other Usagi before?)
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 5 - A big announcements? What could be be! JOJOLION seems like a long shot, MY HERO ACADEMIA feels a little more realistic. Knowing my luck it'll be the return of E-ROBOT. OR DOUBLE NISEKOI!

for me.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK