Main Menu

Round 1: 3 - Si Spurrier or John Smith - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 May, 2020, 06:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So when I looked at the draw today was the day when I knew the cameras would be out and we'd have live footage of both votes they were so top draw. These exciting ties make me a little sad as you know absolutely top Droids, Tharg's very best will be out early. At the end if the day that's what keeps these things interesting. So with no more introduction I ask you to decide who is your favourite writer for Tharg:

Si Spurrier - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=SIMONS

OR

John Smith - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=JOHNS

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Tuesday 2nd June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46461.0

Two more Round 1 votes off start tomorrow.

abelardsnazz

John Smith for me, for so many strange and wonderful creations - Devlin Waugh, Cradlegrave and Revere to name but three. Dead Eyes segueing into Indigo Prime. A Strange Case, Skin Games, from the Meg, which was a perfect pairing with John Hicklenton and still haunts me today.

Si Spurrier has written some great stuff too, but the thought that there are a hundred other stories hinted at in each one of John's is too fascinating to let go.

Bolt-01

broodblik

Between a devil and a lobster so let us go with Firekind mister Smith
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sintec

Really tough one for me - I'm a relatively recent subscriber and my exposure to the older progs has mostly been through the Hachette collections which means I've only really read certain strips (mostly Devlin and Simping Detective). The extension to the Ultimate Collection looks set to improve on that but that doesn't help me now - hmmm I think I'm going to abstain on this one.

Buttonman

I'll go Si - John seems a nice bloke but his stuff is a bit weirdo freak out for my tastes, which I fully appreciate is his appeal to others.

TordelBack

Tharg might not love him the way he used to, but I do. John Smith, for so long the only bright light in the Dark Days.

Richard

This is a tough one. While Si Spurrier is a relative newcomer when compared to John Smith, he quickly established himself as one of the greats, with The Simping Detective and Lobster Random. He definitely deserves to make it to the next round, but unluckily he drew against the author of Firekind, Devlin Waugh and Cinnabar. So I think it's Smith for me.

Funt Solo

I like the work from both writers, even though they can by turns be baffling and Marmite, but John Smith's responsible for more things that could end up in the Top Ten Thrills of All Time list.

You can think on Cradlegrave, Killing Time, Swimming in Blood (or the Sirius Rising saga), Firekind or Cinnabar.

Simon Spurrier's Chiaroscuro is certainly worth a mention as worthy of the highest praise. One of the things I loved about Spurrier's work for Tharg is that it was so high energy. It's not like anyone could ever go "meh".

I understand neither has worked for Tharg recently and that's a terrible loss from a Squaxx perspective.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

IndigoPrime

rogue69

Dark Jimbo

I love Lobster Random, Simping Detective and Chiaroscuro; I can take or leave most of Spurrier's other offerings for the House of Tharg.

Against that - well sure, John Smith has a lot that doesn't quite work for me, but there's also Devlin Waugh, Indigo Prime, Cradlegrave, Firekind, and some solid Dredds. abelardsnazz puts it best when he says that Smith's stories always feel like they're touching the edges of a hundred others - his worldbuilding is second to none. So I have to vote for Smith.
@jamesfeistdraws

maryanddavid

AlexF

Gosh this is a close one so far.
Two authors who are willing to try anything and seemingly not mind if it washes over our heads, and two authors who love mashing words together to sound weird for the sake of it.

As others have said, Mr Smith simply has too many all-time hits to ignore. For me that's Cradlegrave, Killing Time and 'the Herod' series from Devlin Waugh.

So yeah, John Smith