Main Menu

Vikings vs the Alien Monsters.

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 24 January, 2007, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Now and then on the sci/fi channel they show previews and behind the scenes bits to movies that are now in production yet we'll have to wait perhaps another year or so before we get to see them.

A really interesting movie involving a man from another world crash landing on Earth in one of those northern villages during the time of the vikings. There's also large monsterous beast with him as well, that looks like the quadruped offspring of Godzilla and H.R. Giger's Alien. If I say anymore. I guess, I would be spoiling it for you.

The image of a space age man from another planet joining forces with the vikings almost sounds like Strontium Dogs Johhny Alpha first encounters Wulf Sterhammer in the same enviroment during his earlier adventures. With all this talk of splicing Space age techology with the Iron age, I wouldn't then be so surprised to see viking ships flying through the mountains. It could be a reworking of the classic 'Beowulf tale' Though, that should be enough guess's from me for now as I shouldn't really be reviewing something that won't be screening for another year atleast. As it says on the site I linked below   the plot or story line of this film is subject to change drastically as nothing is set in stone until the movie's ready.

Some well knowns are mentioned like John Hurt ( You should know him well.), he a character called Rothgar. Ron Pearlman is mentioned in cast as well and there's James Caviezel as the main character Kainan the Outlander himself. Well remembered by myself for his role as Jesus in 'Passion of Christ. ( No fear of him being typecast here.)

There also character called Boromir.

It looks good so far. Though at this stage anything could happen to ruin or save a interesting idea for a movie.

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/" target="_blank">The Outlander

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives/Viking.jpg">

TordelBack

While I note that in its favour it has not one but two Kitchen Wenches in its cast list, I do worry just a bit about the Iron Age "Reign" of the Vikings.  That sort of thing scores pretty high on the Xena scale of wilfull anachronism (though nowhere near including a supposedly-mortal character who managed to fight in the Trojan War and in Caesar's Civil War - a neat trick spanning a dozen centuries).

Cthulouis

Well the fact the Iron Age and the "Viking age" are separated by a few hundred years does put it quite close (admitedly nothing really happened in between, only minor things like the Roman empire). Unless they're time travelling Vikings!

ThryllSeekyr

So what were Viking weapons made of then?

TordelBack

So what were Viking weapons made of then?

Touché! (or Maché, possibly).  Don't mind me, I'm being a fecking pedant all day, while dodging a horribly overdue bit of work that I'm avoiding. The film sounds like something I'll watch and enjoy, so any negativity is in fun.  If you don't want to be badly bored by recitation of a half-remembered lecture, bale out of this post now.  

Most folk end the North European Iron Age with the coming of the Romans (leaving those places where they never ventured at a bit of a loss for terminology, leading to such oddities as "the Early Medieval period" or "the Early Christian period"), or more generally with the advent of (some) contemporary written records - basically the end of prehistory and the beginning of history in northern Europe, usually dating to the first few centuries AD.  

The Vikings don't show up until the end of the 8th C AD, long after the Romans have buggered off back to the Med and the Black Sea, leveraging their sea-based commerce into control over huge swathes of coastal northern Europe and sowing the seeds of cities where the Romans either hadn't gone or hadn't succeeded.  So as far as most historians are concerened, the Vikings have their very own age - the Viking Age - running right up to the heyday of their settled French descendants the Normans in the 11th century ('Norman' is literally derived from: 'Norsemen'), and thus far removed from the pre-Roman prehistoric  Iron Age.  

But yup, TS you're dead right - Iron is still the cutting edge (b'dum tish), so on the technlogy scale Iron Age is probably right, just not on the cultural/historical side.  I'll shut up now and do some paying work.

ThryllSeekyr

(After flicking through a few history books and consulting the father.)

Apparently, as a part of the three age system. The Iron age was preceeded by the Stone Age and then the Bronze Age. The Iron age was the third and the most popular. ( My personal favorite.)

As part of the five ages of Man. Beginning with the Golden age, then Silver age, then the Bronze or Brazen age, Then the Heroic age, which then leaves us with the Iron Age. (Still my favorite.)

Of the other known ages. There were the dark ages, that were a part of the early middle ages. Then there was the Renaissance and then the Reformation.

After that, it gets alittle hazy. You know cloth was improved. There were buttons and then all of sudden we were using zippers. Then there was velcro, then everybody got sick of velcro.

While all this was happening we invented the steam engine, had cars, planes and when we broke the sound barrier, it goes on until we reach out to outer space and beyond. Now we are in something like the information age.

So I think that to say that the time when Vikings were being interesting were during the Iron Age (Even if this was fair while before the birth of Jesus.) is a safe bet. It's also safe to say the the Iron age isn't just exclusive to the Vikings. Alot of other people did well from this also.

Now this movies is a just fictional pursuit. If some historical accuracy is being sacrifced, it's probably just to spice it up abit.

ThryllSeekyr

They have updated the wiki-article on this film since I first posted about it.

It just gives you better synopsis of the story.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlander_(film)" target="_blank">longs ships and long houses

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5e/Vikingshipkils.jpg/385px-Vikingshipkils.jpg">

ThryllSeekyr

Some pictures of the Moorwen design.

Well, I didn't quite look alien enough to fit my earlier description as I only had quick glance of it on television last time.

Link: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/672643/EXCLUSIVE_Outlander_Design_Preview.html" target="_blank">Creature designer talks....................

http://outlander.solsector.net/CONCEPT%20ART_files/Concept/outlander%20concept%20art%203.gif">

ThryllSeekyr

Link: http://outlander.solsector.net/index.htm" target="_blank">Look here for more concept art

http://outlander.solsector.net/CONCEPT%20ART_files/Concept/outlander_3.jpg">

ThryllSeekyr

Sorry, If somebody started another thread, but I decided to use my own.

I was looking at the image, considering Jim Caviezel's previous work and decided to mess around with the poster to amuse myself.

jakeblues69

I'll be very surprised if the actual movie is better than the concept art. Lets face it, the Sci-fi channel makes shit movies. There have been a few, very few exceptions, so I'll cross my fingers and wish for luck.

I'd like to see some Warhammer 40K movies, maybe a film version of William Kings "Spacewolf".
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

ThryllSeekyr

Your right about those Sci/fi movies. I'm talking about the sudden influx of these new shows on the sci/fi channel. They're just terrible. Not worth ever been made.

This movie however does look like iit's a cut above the rest, I just hope that isn't a case of the movie trailer being spiced up to make look better than it actualley is.

jakeblues69

Quote from: "ThryllSeekyr"Your right about those Sci/fi movies. I'm talking about the sudden influx of these new shows on the sci/fi channel. They're just terrible. Not worth ever been made.

This movie however does look like iit's a cut above the rest, I just hope that isn't a case of the movie trailer being spiced up to make look better than it actualley is.

Yeah, they're also airing a ton of crap shows too. They used to air a lot of really good classic sci-fi shows and have some decent new programming as well. Would it kill them to go back to that format and mix it up a bit. It seems like they air ( for example ) a whole days worth of "Jeremiah" and blow through the whole series in a few weeks, instead of airing one episode a week and stretching it out for 6 months and giving people something to look forward to watching.
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Mardroid

Quote from: "TordelBack"While I note that in its favour it has not one but two Kitchen Wenches in its cast list, I do worry just a bit about the Iron Age "Reign" of the Vikings.  That sort of thing scores pretty high on the Xena scale of wilfull anachronism (though nowhere near including a supposedly-mortal character who managed to fight in the Trojan War and in Caesar's Civil War - a neat trick spanning a dozen centuries).

Ha! Yes. She was involved in the battle between the Israelites and Philistines (a rethink of the biblical David and Goliath tale) at one point too, something that happened way back before any of those events.

I used to quite like that show though (I'm slightly embarrassed to admit.)