Main Menu

Carnival of Immortals

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 26 July, 2006, 09:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

There was time when I would periodically buy copies of the 'Heavy Metal' publication. In it's plastic packaging I had no idea what comics strips, aritcles were inside until I opened it after purchasing it.

I would mainly buy them for their cover art. Though I had been pleasantly surprised by samples of 'Bodyssey' and 'Texararcana' and the more foreign to myself strips of 'Mobeius'.

I do recall one of those magazines containing just small part of the 'Carnival of Immortals' story.  From what I do remember from reading that sample 'there is a guy whom had just been involved in a accident at a subway station and he was dying as one of his legs had been severed. Suddenly the Egyption God Horus ( Some large naked guy with the head of bird.)is there and makes a deal with this guy to use his godly powers to save his life if he would agree to let it use his body as his own.
As it would seem that Horus needs a physical body to exist in this place. So picking up a piece of broken railway track, he fashions this into the shape of a leg and attachs this to the man's stump using laser beams from his eyes, saving the man's life. There is also Anubis and Bast ( Jackal headed man and Feline headed woman.)

I think it was all in french.

That's all I remember and that's all I needed to know when I caught the last two thirds of some french made sci/fi movie called 'Immortal'. I was supicious when I saw some French guy with a metal cap in his skull coversing with a large naked man with a bird's head ( he could also assume the form of a Eagle, Hawk or Falcon and jump into the body of the man that he had shared some connection with.) The avian man,
 I had later found out to be the god Horus who was on the run from his fellow gods Anubis and Bast and needed to procreate with a alein woman of humanoid appearance.

It was also obivious from his nakedness that he didn't have the tools to complete this task with out jumping into the body of the man whom I later found out had a leg made out of metal.

So, now I pretty sure that that comic I once owned ( I have either misplaced it or it got thrown in the rubbish.) was the inspiration for this movie.

The movie itself had that typical french sci/fi flavour that I had seen in other movies such as 'City of Lost Children' which at times looks just a tad bit phoney. Sort of like watching 'Sky Caption and the World of Tomorrow' Most of everyhting was CGI blended with real live actors.( Linda Hardy & Charlotte Rampling.)  I could see that they needed  CGI for Horus and there were other weird creatures. ( Something that looked like a red shark that could fly.) But The CGI was also used to depict some of the supporting characters as well. Which I thought was alittle strange. Does it cost less to have digital characters rather than real live ones. I'm not sure why didn't they just make it entirely CGI or CGI with a entire cast real acotrs portrtying the human characters.

http://www.humanoids-publishing.com/products/pic/2440_180x270.jpg">