Main Menu

RIPPED OFF...........................

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 11 August, 2006, 10:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

As and act of defiance I've just bought a subscription online! Take that internet-watching evil do-ers!

Quirkafleeg

I'm from the phone company and you are due a refund which I'll waffle on about for a couple of minutes... now if you give all you bank details I'll get it sent to you this afternoon

JOE SOAP

>Garageman
I'm, sorry about the bad diction/spelling but it happens more frequently on my longer rants.

It was only a little jest, I don't mind if people poke fun at me in return. We all have a good sense of humour here unlike that Byrne/forum anathema.

>Back in the 80's, my newsagent used to write the Irish Punt price all over the cover in blue biro, in several places if the cover was cluttered. Biro! Bastards.

I had that same problem myself with the biro/punt combination thing.

Radbacker

all my progs have my name in biro on the $A price tag they've stuck on it(you know the ones you cant pull off without ripping your cover)makes it a bugger sorting because sometimes its put over the prog number/date section.  Still bwa ha ha no one's ever gonna steal my progs they've all got my name on em!! if they do I can hunt them down and give them what they deserve.

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

No, only my first name, mind you. I don't really think that having your name written ( It's not written in biro but typed on with the price and barcode.)  on the price sticker is going to effectively save it from theft if the somebody really intends to flog them. Besides those stickers they have often neglected to stick as they left loose in the folds of the book still attached to their backing paper.

Oh by the way, last night as I was busy peeling off the price stickers from the front covers of some of my more recent progs (1300's onwards) and ended up having done abit of damage ( Not much damge though.) as some of the paint work on the front cover has come off with the stickers.

Is there safer way of doing this?

House of Usher

If a book is sufficiently glossy, lighter fluid may be used as a solvent to soak off self-adhesive labels. It can be applied directly, and worked in using a cotton wool bud.

Sometimes it will also disturb printer's ink on paper, so use with caution - like I said, success will depend on the book you're rescuing being sufficiently glossy that it doesn't absorb the lighter fluid and that the bond between the sticker and cover can be entirely weakened.
STRIKE !!!

Carlsborg Expert

Post it notes are perfect and should be used in the first place IF the penny pinching newsvendor doesn't tally it up onto your newsagent sub and scribble on that rather than spending 0.2p on one.

ThryllSeekyr

These Progs  were during the mid 1300's progs.

Paper sticker price tags were still being used back then, but they were sticker prices tags that aren't as good as the glossy price tag stickers that are being used today.

The days of writing the price in biro directly on the surface of the product are well and truly gone, unless your newstand owner is a troglodyte or a 1970's revivalist.

Link: http://www.geocities.com/chipperprime/pricetag" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/chipperprime/pricetag

ThryllSeekyr

Oh, and thanks for advice one separating the  the old paper stickers from magazines.

I was gonna hold them over over boiling tea kettle but I'm not so sure now.

House of Usher

I think subjecting your Progs to steam from a kettle is likely to result in wrinkling, so I wouldn't advise it.

Moisture is generally only useful for dissolving the kind of gum you have to lick to use, like envelopes and postage stamps. I'm not sure about today's self-adhesive stamps, but the old sort, if not cancelled with a postmark, could be soaked off in a cup of water, dried, and re-used. So I'm told. I'm not saying I've done so myself...
STRIKE !!!

DavidXBrunt

Well I funted up my copy of Zarjaz 2 today trying to take the Barcode sticker off. Will we never learn?

DavidXBrunt

Well I funted up my copy of Zarjaz 2 today trying to take the Barcode sticker off. Will we never learn?

ThryllSeekyr

Barcode is a sticker. Are you kidding,isn't that pritned or painted on?