Main Menu

Let you entertain me. Comic recommendations please.

Started by Spaceghost, 26 October, 2011, 08:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

EXIT WOUNDS by Rutu Modan

PRIDE OF BAGHDAD by Brian K. Vaughan and Niko Henrichon

A TASTE OF CHLORINE by Bastien Vivès

One uplifting tale and two heartbreakers. All gorgeous.

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Karl Stephan

Let's see...

Kill Audio from Boom Studios. Check out some of the artwork (the biggest selling pint IMHO) at killaudio.com

Chew from Image

Skin (don't think it's currently in print, but it's one of the most memorable comics from Milligan and McCarthy)

Black Metal 1 & 2 from Oni Press

Emperor

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 October, 2011, 01:51:41 PM
I've been enjoying CHEW lately (4 slim TPB's out so far). In a post-avian flu world where the farming, sale or consumption of any poultry is banned, John Chu is a detetective for the Food & Drug Administration who gets psychic impressions from anything he eats - his boss, who hates him, enjoys employing his talents at the most disgusting crime scenes imaginable ... and then the aliens get involved...

It's a very offbeat and unusual comedy and great fun.

I'd second (or third) Chew, it seems a natural fit for a 2000AD reader - bonkers, funny, nasty and the first trade is a special low price to encourage people to jump on board:

www.amazon.co.uk/Chew-Tasters-Choice-Rob-Guillory/dp/1607061597/

I should pick up more of these and there is a lot of good stuff coming from Image at the moment, it has the feel of what Vertigo was at the moment.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Third Estate Ned

May I recommend, for the old school, Corto Maltese. It's a bit of a departure from 2000ad related fare but I think its classic status definitely warrants a look if you've never seen it. A quick Amazon check suggests you may have to wait for a reissue of the most well known volume the Ballad of the Salt Sea.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corto-Maltese-Ballad-Salt-Sea/dp/0789324989/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Dandontdare

Quote from: Emperor on 18 December, 2011, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 October, 2011, 01:51:41 PM
I've been enjoying CHEW lately (4 slim TPB's out so far). In a post-avian flu world where the farming, sale or consumption of any poultry is banned, John Chu is a detetective for the Food & Drug Administration who gets psychic impressions from anything he eats - his boss, who hates him, enjoys employing his talents at the most disgusting crime scenes imaginable ... and then the aliens get involved...

It's a very offbeat and unusual comedy and great fun.

I'd second (or third) Chew, it seems a natural fit for a 2000AD reader - bonkers, funny, nasty and the first trade is a special low price to encourage people to jump on board:

www.amazon.co.uk/Chew-Tasters-Choice-Rob-Guillory/dp/1607061597/

I should pick up more of these and there is a lot of good stuff coming from Image at the moment, it has the feel of what Vertigo was at the moment.

anyone know when Chew vol.5 is due out? seems a while since 4 but I can't find any info - amazon usually hs preorder details months in advance

PreacherCain

Really enjoying the The Unwritten trades. Wasn't overly enamoured initially but it really is a fantastic, ambitious series. Better still, the trades are going to come out faster now that it's fortnightly! It's currently at no. 4, with 5 released in a few weeks.

Image are pretty much the #1 US publisher at the minute and are going through a bit of a renaissance at the minute. 2012 looks to be a stellar year with Brubaker/Phillips' new Fatale, Brandon Graham's Prophet, Brian K. Vaughan's Saga and a lot more. 2011 has been brilliant too, with The Strange Talent of Luther Strode (it's like a better version of Kick-Ass that doesn't just try to shock you with it's violence/misogyny), Morning Glories, Red Wing, Severed, Chew and a lot more else. Image remind me a lot of 2000AD at the minute, with an emphasis on strong stories/art and a really diverse range of genres and styles.

I think 2000AD fans would really enjoy Orc Stain and Nonplayer too (only one issue released this year but it's still worth checking out!)

Emperor

Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 December, 2011, 03:44:08 PMBrandon Graham's Prophet

Which reminds me, I was meaning to start a thread on this...

Quote from: PreacherCain on 26 December, 2011, 03:44:08 PMImage remind me a lot of 2000AD at the minute, with an emphasis on strong stories/art and a really diverse range of genres and styles.

Indeed - if they cut up those series you mentioned and published them CLiNT-like* in an anthology magazine, you'd have about the closest US approximation to 2000AD I can think of.

* Especially as CLiNT are getting a lot of their non-Millar content from such Image series.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+