Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Have you ever met a grip? I still can't work out if they're listed as crew or equipment.. But point taken, Prof..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I declare this thread to be spoilerific.........
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: pops1983 on 20 June, 2011, 11:58:47 PM
I declare this thread to be spoilerific.........
Indeed - Thanks to Prof Byah for concealing about 5 words while spoilering the rest of the film!

Colin Zeal

Fire In Babylon - documentary on the great West Indies cricket sides of the 70s/80s. Really excellent film, could have done with being a bit longer and containing more match footage but I'd still advise people to go and see it.

El Chivo

The Horde
French Zombie Die Hard
Does exactly what it says on the tin
Pretty rockin'

Chi

mygrimmbrother

Kaboom!

On a bit of a Gregg Araki tip lately, after finally watching Myserious Skin (and rating it very highly) I managed to track down to of his earlier efforts - the Doom Generation (which I'd seen about 15 years ago) and Nowhere (which was new to me), and now his latest effort.

I must say, everyone is so highly sexed and attractive in his films and yet they couldn't be further from your typical lusty teen fare. I dig him! And the soundtracks are fantastic too.

Back to Kaboom - I felt this wasn't quite as successful as his earlier efforts, although I enjoyed Juno Temple's character 'London.' Thomas Dekker of John Connor fame wasn't too bad either, although he's no Gordon Levitt. It was a shame in a way too to see regular contributor James Duvall as an older, more grizzled stoner has-been. As time has moved on and the actors gotten older, Araki's obsession with the rawness of youth has remained, meaning his semi-regular stable of actors need replacing.

I, Cosh

Is Nowhere the one with the running joke about "there's this guy in my Global Pandemics class" and so on? If so, that was great fun. I also remember one of his films opening with about five minutes of some guy having a wank in the shower to the sound of a Slowdive record.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

A Town Called Panic was on Film4 tonight. The Meg said some nice things about it, so I gave it a go. It was bloody bonkers, difficult to describe really. I think it inspired that cravendale milk advert. Really clever, eccentric,surreal animation
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrells was on the telly when I got in from work the other night, so I ended up watching that for the first time in about ten years. Used to love the film when it first came out and always thought that it never deserved the bad rep it got tarnished with. Its predictably pretty dated now, and borderline irritating at times but worth a watch for old times sake. What really struck me about watching it was the shocking level of acting. Most of the cast can't act for shit, and a lot of the line deliveries are excruciating. Was surprised to see a young Rob Brydon playing the traffic warden!

Watched Labyrinth with some mates on Friday night. I have a huge amount of affection for it as it was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. I won't try and defend it as a great film, but it has so much charm that it's immune to criticism in my eyes. When it finished we put on the making of documentary on the DVD, and I was delighted the following morning to hear Adam and Joe discussing the film and doc on their 6 Music show!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 23 June, 2011, 10:10:14 AM
Lock Stock and two Smoking Barrells was on the telly when I got in from work the other night, so I ended up watching that for the first time in about ten years. Used to love the film when it first came out and always thought that it never deserved the bad rep it got tarnished with. Its predictably pretty dated now, and borderline irritating at times but worth a watch for old times sake.

Never liked 'flashy Guy Geezer films, he should be tied to a pole and made watch Get Carter until he knows better...and irritating is the word.

exilewood

Just saw the Coen's True Grit - a great film. Can't be arsed to go any deeper than that right now.

Jeff Bridges is in so many of my favourite films. That cat is a true star.

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: pops1983 on 23 June, 2011, 01:10:51 AM
A Town Called Panic was on Film4 tonight. The Meg said some nice things about it, so I gave it a go. It was bloody bonkers, difficult to describe really. I think it inspired that cravendale milk advert. Really clever, eccentric,surreal animation

Yeah, really liked that one. Half way through my wife walked into the room and asked WTF and I had one Hell of a time explaining how the characters had gotten to that moment. A bit like El Topo in that regard.

Super 8: Quite liked this even if it does kind of get too soppy at the end. I'd rather more people emulate 70s-80s Carpenter, but Speilberg did do three of my favorite movies of the time period: Jaws, Close Encounters, and Poltergeist (I know it's Tobe Hooper but...). The bit with the kids making their film was the best part, [spoiler]kind of wished the monster had fucked off or that he had been more interesting[/spoiler].

Tree of Life: If you can take slow and gorgeous like say Solaris, Russian Ark, or Double Life of Veronique, then you should go see this and see it on the big screen. I knew that it was going to place a kitchen drama along side the workings of the cosmos, but I was surprised at what I came away with after the juxtaposition.

Hoagy

Burke and Hare; Not funny but a great film.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Bob Ford; At about the same time this is happening across the water. I love the music by Nick and the *other Warren Ellis? The sepia filters and cinematography aren't bad either. I shrivel a little at Bradgela's portrayal sometimes but his psychopathic and sinister silences/easiness makes up for this.

Unbreakable; Just love Sam L. J.'s depiction of Mr Glass and his advocacy of comic art. " Do you see any tellytubbies in here?" Heh.  I think its a very under-rated film too. Come to think of it Shylaman (sp)and Bruce need to finish the Semi-hero trilogy.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

radiator

The Terminator is currently on iPlayer! Just watched it - still awesome.

I'm working my way through A Game of Thrones at the minute. Wasn't sure what to make of it after the first episode, but I'm on ep 6 now and thoroughly addicted. I just love it, so many cool characters. Current favourite is Tyrian Lannister - that guy rules. In all honesty I could do without some of the more gratuitous 'shock' moments of boobies etc - the show doesn't need them.

It blows my mind that a series like this can actually get made - thank God for HBO! Really hope they're going to adapt all the books - I know series 2 is already in production. I would quite happily stump up hard cash to pre-order every series right now on the strength of this one.

JOE SOAP

I find it hard to believe that something as good and gorgeous as Game of Thrones is edited and post-produced in the heart of Dublin, we usually taint anything TV-cinematic round here.