Main Menu

Misheard lyrics

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 July, 2014, 11:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rackle

For ages I was horrified by a couple of lines in the song "State of the Nation" by New Order but I now know better

The lyrics do not go:

"My brother said that he was dead.
I saw his face and shit my bed"

:-[  :lol:

Oh yeah, Bananarama's cover of Venus (I was 7 at the time so didn't know the original...
"Well, I'm your Venus.
I'm your fire
Choke me,  sire"

Sounds a bit kinky like that.  :-\

Tiplodocus

Jack is in his corset.
Jane is in her vest.
Me, honey, I'm in a rock and roll band.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rackle on 18 September, 2018, 11:51:39 PM
For ages I was horrified by a couple of lines in the song "State of the Nation" by New Order but I now know better

The lyrics do not go:

"My brother said that he was dead.
I saw his face and shit my bed"

:-[  :lol:

Sweet Jesus. I've always thought it was "my brother said that he was gay'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Ahead of going to Def Leppard next week, I have been listening to some of their stuff and it has become apparent I have been mishearing loads of their lyrics for years. Most notably from "Pour Some Sugar on Me" I always thought one of the lines was:

"living like a lover in a Renault 4"

when apparently it is

"livin' like a lover with a radar phone".

Now I have no clue what a "radar phone" is.

Frankly I think my version makes more sense.... :lol:

JayzusB.Christ

A friend of mine, who moved to Greece when he was 13, used to insist that Def Leppard song was a metaphor for getting covered in dust on a building site.

I met him a few years ago for the first time since then, and reminded him of it. He hadn't changed his mind.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

JayzusB.Christ

You know, Joe Elliott has lived in Dublin for decades and he's about the only Dublin-based celebrity I've never seen (Dublin's small, see, not like That London).  I can only surmise that the fecker's hiding from me.

I saw Jedward on the bus home once before they were famous (you don't forget a pair like that); they were chatting to the female halves of some teenage couples.  After they left, there followed a synchronicity of protective motherly compliments and muttered homophobic insults from the girls and boys respectively, just as surely as night follows day.

M.I.K.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 December, 2018, 11:46:55 AM
A friend of mine, who moved to Greece when he was 13, used to insist that Def Leppard song was a metaphor for getting covered in dust on a building site.

I met him a few years ago for the first time since then, and reminded him of it. He hadn't changed his mind.

What he's done is taken this music video at face value.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: M.I.K. on 08 December, 2018, 08:08:40 PM

That's what I figured too.  They were ok in the 80s, in a cheesy, soft-metal way.  It all started to go wrong with 'Let's Get Rocked' though.

Magnetica

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 December, 2018, 08:16:01 AM
They were ok in the 80s, in a cheesy, soft-metal way.  It all started to go wrong with 'Let's Get Rocked' though.

I certainly split their career into 2: upto and including Hysteria and then everything afterwards.

The first couple of albums were pretty much raw (in a good way) heavy metal. Then came Pyromania which I think of as a first draft of Hysteria. Then it all came together perfectly on Hysteria, which I view as the perfect fusion of metal and pop.

The biggest problem with Adrenalize is that it isn't Hysteria. It actually sounds pretty similar and has some really catchy songs, but it's just not as good. How could it be?

After that the metal gives way to pop even more, not that there is anything wrong with pop, but that's not what I want from Def Leppard.

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 December, 2018, 04:40:15 PM
You know, Joe Elliott has lived in Dublin for decades and he's about the only Dublin-based celebrity I've never seen (Dublin's small, see, not like That London). 

For a while in the late '80s Joey Elliott was the only Dublin-based celeb I ever saw! He was even in whatever ghastly nightclub* it was that I suffered through one poor girl's disastrous Debs. Sorry to monopolise him, if I see him again I'll lend him a canoe and send him your way.

* The Pink Elephant**, maybe?
** The nightclub, not the girl. She was nice, if cursed with appalling taste in men, but I not-so-secretly loved another and it all ended in taxis and recriminations. I hated, hate and always will hate Dublin nightclubs.

Rackle

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 December, 2018, 08:16:01 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 08 December, 2018, 08:08:40 PM

That's what I figured too.  They were ok in the 80s, in a cheesy, soft-metal way.  It all started to go wrong with 'Let's Get Rocked' though.

Seeing as it's the Misheard lyrics thread AND you've mentioned the song "Let's Get Rocked" - I hate that song despite Def Leppard being a guilt pleasure of mine - my little sister swore Joe was singing "Lesbian's Rock!"

As in "Lesbians, lesbians, lesbians, lesbians rock!
Get on top now baby
Lesbians, lesbians, lesbians, lesbians rock..."

::) :-[ Oh Carole, you sweet summer child!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2018, 11:51:34 AM

For a while in the late '80s Joey Elliott was the only Dublin-based celeb I ever saw! He was even in whatever ghastly nightclub* it was that I suffered through one poor girl's disastrous Debs. Sorry to monopolise him, if I see him again I'll lend him a canoe and send him your way.

Nice one. I always enjoy a game of chicken.

Dandontdare

On reflection, it would probably be quite dangerous to be driving a Fast Car if Tracy Chapman had her "arms and legs wrapped round my shoulders"

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 December, 2018, 04:40:15 PM
You know, Joe Elliott has lived in Dublin for decades and he's about the only Dublin-based celebrity I've never seen (Dublin's small, see, not like That London).  I can only surmise that the fecker's hiding from me.

Himself and Ricky Warwick (The Almighty, Black Star Riders) used to be occasional visitors to Bruxelles back in the mid-90s....use to pop themselves beside the jukebox, just to the right of our band of brothers that used to take up the old corner beside the bar  :lol:
Peas sell. But who's Brian?