Main Menu

Gay Dredd .....lol

Started by Fatboydale, 25 January, 2013, 03:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

And there was me thinking that it was only the Beano that went in for shameless & transparent publicity stunts...

AlpineNewt

Ha ha! I'm sure there will be a twist - it's so out of character - but to anyone burning comics and sending abusive messages to writers (if that wasn't just made up by the media) I say "Good-riddance!", I'll keep reading regardless.

ABCwarBOT

Saw this on the news earlier.     Could be an amusing story if it's a one off but making out that Dredd might be gay is a guaranteed way of losing readers (even making it ambiguous).

Not a good way of advertising Dredd to the world.

Richmond Clements

Quotemaking out that Dredd might be gay is a guaranteed way of losing readers

Well, in all honesty, anyone who would stop reading a comic because a character is revealed to be gay (and for the record, this is obviously NOT what the Dredd story is about) is not the sort of person I would want reading the comic anyway.
Narrow minded, homophobic bigots need not apply.

dweezil2

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 January, 2013, 11:55:26 PM

Well, in all honesty, anyone who would stop reading a comic because a character is revealed to be gay (and for the record, this is obviously NOT what the Dredd story is about) is not the sort of person I would want reading the comic anyway.

Couldn't agree more!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

vzzbux

Hey I'm Narrow minded. All pop music sucks.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ABCwarBOT

Just because someone doesn't want a character to be gay doesn't make them a homophobic bigot.    I don't want Dredd to be gay either or a woman or an alien.    That doesn't make me a homophobic mysoginist that hates aliens either.

karl

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 25 January, 2013, 11:48:24 PM
Saw this on the news earlier.     Could be an amusing story if it's a one off but making out that Dredd might be gay is a guaranteed way of losing readers (even making it ambiguous).

You don't know much about advertising!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: karl on 26 January, 2013, 12:03:31 AM

I know enough to know that most straight teenage boys and older men (probably the biggest readers of Dredd) wouldn't be too happy with a gay Dredd.   Same with a character like Batman or Han Solo.   

Richmond Clements

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

Just because someone doesn't want a character to be gay doesn't make them a homophobic bigot.    I don't want Dredd to be gay either or a woman or an alien.    That doesn't make me a homophobic mysoginist that hates aliens either.

What difference does it make id Dredd's gay or not?
(and on reading the page that has been previewed, it's obviously not him, but a jimp in the night club and the narration is by the other character, but never mind...)

Quotemost straight teenage boys and older men (probably the biggest readers of Dredd) wouldn't be too happy with a gay Dredd

Then I would suggest they grow the fuck up and enter the 21st Century.

dweezil2

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:07:35 AM
Quote from: karl on 26 January, 2013, 12:03:31 AM

I know enough to know that most straight teenage boys and older men (probably the biggest readers of Dredd) wouldn't be too happy with a gay Dredd.   Same with a character like Batman or Han Solo.

Batman's Bi. What other reason can there be for having Robin around? He's fucking useless!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mardroid

QuoteYou don't know much about advertising!

Yes. While it might turn some people away from the comic* it could actually draw in more readers just out of sheer curiosity as to what the drokk is going on!

And in context that scene looks to me to be a [spoiler]fantasy sequence from that kid's point of view.[/spoiler]

Since the story apparently focusses on a lad [spoiler]coming out,I do wonder that the futuristic society of Mega City One would have such issues though. Then again homosexuals would still be a minority and Mega City's future is rather more digressive than progressive in a lot of ways.[/spoiler]

*And it strikes me as ridiculous since... well... they haven't even read the story yet. While I don't think Dredd being gay should be a big deal, why should those who are offended by the idea assume that's what the will happen in the story? Sure there's that image, but things are rarely what they seem in these stories.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 January, 2013, 12:11:41 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 January, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

What difference does it make id Dredd's gay or not?
(and on reading the page that has been previewed, it's obviously not him, but a jimp in the night club and the narration is by the other character, but never mind...)

Quotemost straight teenage boys and older men (probably the biggest readers of Dredd) wouldn't be too happy with a gay Dredd

Then I would suggest they grow the fuck up and enter the 21st Century.

The facts are that gay is seen as effeminate by many people (not by me I may add) and that will probably never disappear.    So even the people like me (who don't view all gay males as effeminate) will have to put up with people making fun of the character.     That's the type of thing Dredd can do without.

It's all very well saying people should grow the fuck up and enter the 21st Century but as much as some people won't like to hear many people will always view gay men as a bit limp wristed.   And that won't change no matter how much you throw at them.      Making characters like Dredd gay won't do anything for gay rights..it'll just annoy many people who like the character.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 January, 2013, 12:21:06 AM
QuoteYou don't know much about advertising!

Yes. While it might turn some people away from the comic* it could actually draw in more readers just out of sheer curiosity as to what the drokk is going on!

And in context that scene looks to me to be a [spoiler]fantasy sequence from that kid's point of view.[/spoiler]

Since the story apparently focusses on a lad [spoiler]coming out,I do wonder that the futuristic society of Mega City One would have such issues though. Then again homosexuals would still be a minority and Mega City's future is rather more digressive than progressive in a lot of ways.[/spoiler]

*And it strikes me as ridiculous since... well... they haven't even read the story yet. While I don't think Dredd being gay should be a big deal, why should those who are offended by the idea assume that's what the will happen in the story? Sure there's that image, but things are rarely what they seem in these stories.

Seeing as gay males are a minority I don't think the readership would increase that much to replace those lost and I can't see many others being brought in.