Main Menu

Prog 2346 - Maximum Thrill-Boost!

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 August, 2023, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Maybe Joko-Jargo is the issue here. What are his editorial credentials, other than being nepotistically appointed by his uncle?

Anthony Garnon

Interesting at least to see that Cadet Dredd has moved into 2077 at last. He's been stuck in 2076 since Regened started.

Lowborn High's panel is awfully... Boring. There's also lots of dead space littering the page. The two points combine to make a strip that isn't particularly pretty to look at - and that's without commenting on the story.

Goosegash

I'm just not sure who the current lineup of Regened is actually for at the moment, as it seems to be alienating most older readers while holding little appeal for the younger ones.

Why would a reader in the YA demographic want to trudge through the mishmash of recycled genre tropes that is Lowborn High when there are so many superior alternatives available? In the the manga arena they're spoilt for choice with school based sagas which kick the arse of this in terms of characterisation, excitement and pacing. Just look at something like My Hero Academia as an example. It's baffling how much page space this has been afforded so far for something so unexceptional. The art is average to poor but at least they dropped the artist who drew every character with identical facial expressions, I suppose.

Also yet another inclusion of a Future Shock which feels like it doesn't fit the Regened brief at all. Are these Tharg's offcuts being shuffled over from the main prog to make up the page count?

The Corinthian

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 21 August, 2023, 09:48:07 AMSomeone somewhere must be enjoying this.

Probably the same Earthlet who liked Skip Tracer.

Richard

I really liked that Future Shock. Good story, great art. It wouldn't have been out of place in the regular prog, yet it was suitable for all ages.

Grush

I've been back amongst the Squaxx for two years now. The first few regened progs I saw were quite interesting with at least a couple of entertaining thrills in them. That really isn't the case with this one, or the previous one. I will just be leafing through the next one with the assumption it is heading for the recycle bin. That said, I do like the covers.

A.Cow

Quote from: Goosegash on 21 August, 2023, 04:24:12 PMI'm just not sure who the current lineup of Regened is actually for at the moment, as it seems to be alienating most older readers while holding little appeal for the younger ones.

And yet we keep hearing claims that sales spike for those progs (and that collected editions sell well).

This got me thinking about that 1987 strike at Good Morning Britain, when ITV broadcast Batman episodes instead of the usual show ... and ratings surged.

Seems that that die-hard Tooth fans are now outnumbered by nostalgic grandparents who'll randomly buy anything with an old-skool logo (regardless of the lower-quality content).

If so, is there a risk that Rebellion will decide to play the numbers game?  Will we soon find every prog featuring a 20-page episode of Clowborn High?

scrotnig

I'm sure younger people really are buying it in good enough numbers. And I think that's something to be celebrated.

Us old farts may be less keen on the most recent Regened progs but in the nicest possible way that doesn't matter in the config Regened. We need new readers on board and if they like slightly different stuff to us, that's ok.

Colin YNWA

I think this might be outside the demographic Regened is aimed at (???) but interesting - if not scientific - piece of research done my Kev Sutherland about when kids in his sessions read.

Not sure it belongs in this conversation but didn't want to start a new thread and could see the links so what the heck. From Bleeding Cool.

JudgeJudi

That was pretty dire - The Dredd strip is the best - however, that has an oddity. Currie either struggles with the uniform, or he draws everyone as if cosplayers are in Uniforms that don't fit. On every panel, the Judge badge is awardly drawn as being stuck over the shoulder pad or under it...

As for what the yoof like - my Nephews, who are the right age live in a golden age of top-quality manga and other content aimed at them.

nxylas

People with kids: what are they reading these days,more specifically than "manga", I mean? And if you were Joko-Jargo, what sort of strips would you commission for the Regened progs?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Bad City Blue

Meh, as someone who used to enjoy these it was not fun.

Cadet Dredd was poorly plotted. Obviously it's not who he thinks it is, so it HAS to be the only other character. Didn't think much of the art, either, especially the massive Lawmasters.

Lowborn High... Jovus another 20 pages that just drift on by with no effect in any way. Just average in every single way but worse for the page count.

Future Shocks is teh highlight for me, though the art screams 90s 2000ad mudfest. I liked the story, though.

Finally we get Renk, another average strip which is a basic crime story jazzed up with fantasy trappings.Could have lost two pages to zero effect.

When will Regened get a decent script editor?
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Southstreeter

I always assumed that most regular progs are bought either by subscribers or completists, which includes the Regened progs. So if you add in those that buy regened only, of course the numbers will be higher. If you took the prog number off and made it a quarterly special, I doubt sales would be so high (I wouldn't buy it).

nxylas

Quote from: Southstreeter on 23 August, 2023, 06:21:37 PMI always assumed that most regular progs are bought either by subscribers or completists, which includes the Regened progs. So if you add in those that buy regened only, of course the numbers will be higher. If you took the prog number off and made it a quarterly special, I doubt sales would be so high (I wouldn't buy it).
Well, quite. Which is presumably why they don't do it as a standalone title.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

scrotnig

Quote from: nxylas on 23 August, 2023, 08:46:54 PM
Quote from: Southstreeter on 23 August, 2023, 06:21:37 PMI always assumed that most regular progs are bought either by subscribers or completists, which includes the Regened progs. So if you add in those that buy regened only, of course the numbers will be higher. If you took the prog number off and made it a quarterly special, I doubt sales would be so high (I wouldn't buy it).
Well, quite. Which is presumably why they don't do it as a standalone title.
You'll invoke Jim.....