Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 17 September, 2019, 09:28:45 PM
28th of April, 1979, Part One - 2000AD (and Starlord)
2000AD and Starlord Prog 110: It's the Rebel Leaders! Guards – Kill Them!
Sam Slade, genocidal murderer!  Strontium Dog meets a space trucker (not that one).

I'll mention that as well as killing all the sentient robots on Verdus Sam also killed all the remaining human colonists, held in bondage by the robots!

Heroes killing terrifying amounts of people is a defining element of early 2000AD!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

I reckon Johnny Alpha holds the record when he destroys the Wolrog War World, manned by millions of slaves

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 21 September, 2019, 08:22:35 PM
I reckon Johnny Alpha holds the record when he destroys the Wolrog War World, manned by millions of slaves

I've not seen anybody else mention that Rog shares more than a few similarities with the Death Star...  Artificial planet - check.  Bristling with weapons - check.  Designed to dominate the galaxy - check.  Surrounded by huge ships - check.  Destroyed by small bomb being dropped into maintenance shaft - check.  So-called hero ends up killing many thousands of civilian workers and prisoners - check.

2000AD and Starlord Prog 112: We've Hit the Shark Car – Now it's Next Stop Saturn Six!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Nemesis the Warlock? Hint: I guested on Eamonn's Mega-City Book Club podcast.  The story that inspired Nemesis!

Lobo Baggins

Poor Tornado - everything went a bit pear-shaped before it even started publishing, and no one involved seems to have any sort of enthusiasm for it whatsoever (apart from whoever's playing the part of Billy Preston, but it's possible that he's just a bit manic looking anyway!)

I wonder if it would be remembered at all today if it hadn't merged with 2000 AD.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: sheridan on 21 September, 2019, 10:27:29 PM
I've not seen anybody else mention that Rog shares more than a few similarities with the Death Star...  Artificial planet - check.  Bristling with weapons - check.  Designed to dominate the galaxy - check.  Surrounded by huge ships - check.  Destroyed by small bomb being dropped into maintenance shaft - check.  So-called hero ends up killing many thousands of civilian workers and prisoners - check.

Of course,the Mekon had a Death Star (and Dan Dare was blowing it up with space torpedoes) back in 1958, which is way before it was cool...

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 23 September, 2019, 12:02:09 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 21 September, 2019, 10:27:29 PM

Of course,the Mekon had a Death Star (and Dan Dare was blowing it up with space torpedoes) back in 1958, which is way before it was cool...

Nice find - and the order to the robots looks like it's written in pseudo-code!

select (robots) destroy (all things living on Earth)

sheridan

To mix up the week's a little (in other words, I shoulda posted this yesterday):

Tornado No 8: The Comic with the Super-Powered Editor!
Black Hawk versus the Germans.
Cam Kennedy on Storm (though called S. Kennedy - did a little research and I still can't find out why).
My prediction about Drago is correct, unfortunately.

2000AD and Starlord Prog 113: I am the Law!
That phrase might catch on...
Clones and nudity.
Rick Random.
The Heroes Dozen.

sheridan

Tornado No 9: He fought a lonely war with the white invaders who had plundered his people's homeland... Warrior

I may or may not be getting my years mixed up in Black Hawk (at least one of the events alluded to in Black Hawk took place the century after this one is set).
Earthies don't count on Mars gravity (again).
My guesses for the last two entries in the Gallery of Heroes are completely out.
Wolfie Smith versus Villainous Hands™

sheridan

2000AD and Starlord Prog 114: We Don't Stand a Chance! We're Surrounded! But we'll go down Fighting for Robot Freedom!

I wouldn't say this prog is a low point, but it seems like a real step back from the progs of a few months earlier.  Thankfully it still has a few high points, easily amongst the best work in the prog to date...

sheridan

sheridan

sheridan

Tornado No 11: Meet Johnny Lawless Inside!

Though many people here will have met Johnny Lawless when it was reprinted in a floppy not long ago.

TordelBack

Never having read Tornado, I'm finding these reviews particularly fascinating. Anyone know if all the Tornado Blackhawk episodes are in the Rebellion collection?  I think I need to read them!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 September, 2019, 04:37:28 PM
Anyone know if all the Tornado Blackhawk episodes are in the Rebellion collection?  I think I need to read them!

They are and they're great.

TordelBack

-Adds yet another item to Christmas list-

Cheers, Joe!