Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 06 March, 2020, 01:37:53 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2020, 12:54:59 PM
2000AD Prog 219: Traffic duty – Mega-City One Style! "Dredd's stumm-gassed the mopad! All bikes move in!

Ruth Kreelman's in trouble (but not as much as Clacton Fuzz and Studs Boyce)!

I seem to have a vague memory of 'We're here because we're here' (sung to the tune of 'Auld Lang Syne') being a football chant  - don't know how accurate that memory is, though...

It was originally (re)written by WWI soldiers bemoaning their lot on the Western Front; it may well have become a football chant since.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 March, 2020, 02:01:17 PM
2000AD Prog 219: Traffic duty – Mega-City One Style! "Dredd's stumm-gassed the mopad! All bikes move in!

I seem to have a vague memory of 'We're here because we're here' (sung to the tune of 'Auld Lang Syne') being a football chant  - don't know how accurate that memory is, though...

It was originally (re)written by WWI soldiers bemoaning their lot on the Western Front; it may well have become a football chant since.

With the over-reliance on the wars of the reader's parents and grandparents (or great-grandparents) in children's comics of the 1970s the WWI origin sounds plausible.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2020, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 March, 2020, 02:01:17 PM

With the over-reliance on the wars of the reader's parents and grandparents (or great-grandparents) in children's comics of the 1970s the WWI origin sounds plausible.

Though, y'know, a sports chant in a future-sports strip also makes a lot of sense!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 220: "No surrender!" Portrait of a Mutant nears its chill-powered climax-inside!

The Kreelers are gone!  Long live the Peacekeeping Force!  Also valuable life guidance for the target audience of young boys - if your wife is getting old then run away and marry somebody else.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 07 March, 2020, 11:21:50 AM
2000AD Prog 220: "No surrender!" Portrait of a Mutant nears its chill-powered climax-inside!

The Kreelers are gone!  Long live the Peacekeeping Force!  Also valuable life guidance for the target audience of young boys - if your wife is getting old then run away and marry somebody else.

p.s. after* I've finished a run of progs, I tend to listen to the Space Spinner 2000 reactions - any similarity between my blog posts and their comments is purely logical!

* i.e. I'm not copying Conrad and Fox's homework!

sheridan

2000AD Prog 221: "Your racket's over, creeps – judge this!" Down on the farm with J.D.

Your best friend is going off to face his estranged father, whom he hasn't seen in two decades and was responsible for the attempted genocide of all mutants?  Time for a cuppa!

sheridan

sheridan

2000AD Prog 224: Judge Death Lives! in Judge Dredd

Undead special as the phantom Torq makes themselves known and a Judge from another dimensssion where all life isss a crime also returns.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 225: Dark Justice in Mega-City One!
Poetic justice in Earth's End and dark justice in Billy Carter Block!

sheridan

2000AD Annual 1982
It's an expensive annual, so you follow the format of a prog and start with a strong story featuring one of the top characters, right?

sheridan

Judge Dredd Annual 1982
Three fully-painted Dredds, plus three black and white anciliary character (comic) stories.

sheridan

2000AD Prog 227: "Here's the reward for making me all-powerful, Stone... Death!" Countdown to Meltdown!

Owing to a scheduling error, there's two prog slog blogs today, and this one has the last episode of one of my favourite stories :-(

Also a special prog for another reason...

sheridan

2000AD Prog 226: In the Mean Arena, the name of the game is... get Tallon!

Due to that previous scheduling error (the annuals messed it all up) this is the prog before the last blog...

sheridan