Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladwin

Just watched the latest Conan the barbarian film. It was so poor (acting and plot particularly bad). Action was okay (But the end fight scene was poor). Came away wanting to watch the original again (like shawshank redemption in comparison).

Got RED, and Tinker Taylor Soilder Spy next to watch on my sky box. Not too sure what one to go for first. Any suggestions?

von Boom

TTSS is not as good as the Alec Guiness version, but still very good, but more serious in tone. RED is pretty good fun on the otherhand. Go with whatever your mood is dictating. Both are good choices.

Gladwin

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 November, 2014, 12:34:24 PMAnd it does read like something out of a movie/video game.  But you do have to wonder, what were the rest of his platoon doing while he was being a bullet and shell magnet?

It's an amazing, well-written, account, but you have to wonder about some of the specifics.  A full hour's worth of ammo for a continuously-firing 50 caliber machine gun?  An already-destroyed tank destroyer that can't be effectively targeted by 6 tanks?  I can't help seeing some creative embellishment, but even allowing for that, the actions it's based on must have been genuinely insane.  Some man for one man.

Professor Bear

From what I can gather from the account given by Pvt Abramski, the TD wasn't destroyed, the crew were simply driven out by it being on fire and full of live ammunition for the 50 cal as the positions had been fortified beforehand, which I presume is why it was hard for six tanks to draw an effective bead on a stationary target.  Murphy wasn't firing constantly, he fired on any clear targets or attempts to advance, and it took an hour to run out of ammo, at which point he went and got some more guns.

TordelBack

Rational analysis of texts is so passé.  Just read it quickly, and adopt a cynical tone.  It's where it's at, daddio.

Tiplodocus

It's a clever idea riffing a real life situation like that. When people argue that Brad and crew's last stand is not realistic you just point at Audie Murphy and say "See. And he was on his own.".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Is it me or is Minority Report one of awesome smart film!

Mabs

Dale & Tucker vs Evil - it was absolutely hilarious! A comedy of errors with laughs, gore, but most importantly, a lot of heart. Probably up there now with Shaun of the Dead and The Evil Dead series as my favourite comedy horror. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine make the perfect comedy duo, like a hillbilly version of Laurel and hardy. Some great dialogue in the film too. Great stuff!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mardroid

Quote from: Goaty on 23 November, 2014, 01:21:20 AM

it's not you. i'm not much of a fan of Cruise, but I think that's a great film with a clever thought provoking story.

[spoiler]And that twisted humour involving the eyeball transplants really tickled me.[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

"Guardians of the Galaxy" - I didn't have high hopes for this film but, boy, did I enjoy it. It's smart, funny, well-acted and very entertaining. Very occasionally, and I know I'll be branded a heathen for this, while I was watching it put me in mind of Star Wars. Not through any similarity in story or character but just the exuberant mood of the piece. Great stuff!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: Goaty on 23 November, 2014, 01:21:20 AM

It is not just you. Watched it again last week and I still think it is very near the top of PDK adaptations.

CrazyFoxMachine

Shudder.... Moulin Rouge

I used to adore this film a decade or so ago when I was in college. The melodrama, the simplicity, the sheer glorious overblowned-ness of the whole shebang had my young mind giddy.

Further on down the road though and seeing it through older eyes it is a fairly uneven affair - the cast are endearing but the whole thing is as cheesy as a fondue and just about as sloppy. Jim Broadbent is particularly good - and the film is at its most likeable when it's just being silly. The ending is enormously contrived but somewhere in my flabby form something stirred. Memories of things gone that were never to be ... of the days when truth, beauty, freedom and love were the only things on my mind...

Nostalgia alone does not a good film make, mind - and it's a lurid dated affair chock full of misjudged covers and gaudy nonsense. Some things still hold up well from that period of my life but this ain't one of them.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 November, 2014, 12:39:17 PM
"Guardians of the Galaxy" - I didn't have high hopes for this film but, boy, did I enjoy it.

I'd say if you averaged out all the reviews of this film, that is the sentence you'd end up with.  Can't wait to get hold of it on DVD, very much a movie I can see myself re-watching on a regular basis, a la Dredd, only at least I can have this one on before the kiddies go to bed.

Hawkmumbler

My little brother has taken to "Grooting" whenever we have the radio on.