Main Menu

The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown.

Started by ukdane, 23 April, 2005, 03:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

I see there's a film out next year starring Tom Hanks, and directed by Ron Howard.

I think I'd find the book a good read.

Has anyone read it? Is it any good?
Please no spoilers.
Cheers

-Daney

Art

I don't like the way the main characters Irish Vampire mate comes back to life at the end.

ukdane

Ennis read it?

When was the book first published?
Cheers

-Daney

Art

A considerable time after all the other works that use the same "original ideas".

Dudley

It's shit.

Let me re-phrase.

It's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit it's shit

Art

Is the special edition annotated hardback any better?

Proudhuff

Its pretty crap, more fun reading the Fortean Times.
I thought i used a lot of exclamation marks! until I read this! Sudden realisation!!  even after mundane things!! exclamation marks!

If you've read 'The holy blood and the holy grail' the  'revelations' hold it! there's more that one!! are very boring to wade through.

Better spending a few more pounds and buying a collection of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins books.

Huff potboiler
DDT did a job on me

Demon Chicken

What they said.  Read it in 2 days, crap one dimensional crowd pleaser.  Although it did have a couple of ideas I'd never come across before, which was nice.
I can see why the average person was so taken with it, if you showed them a copy of 'Fortean Times' they'd they'd believe everythign in it!

/me feels worrying eletist then suddenly realises "the public" really are as thinck as pigshit and points to 'Ant & Dec' as proof of it.

WoD

it's very easy going, not well written, and the guy must be ecstatic with the press it gets.  Saying that, it reads like he was writing it to be a film, so who knows how it will turn out.

therev

Just finnished it yesterday.
A GREAT read WHILE your reading it, fast paced, exciting, interesting etc but strangly unsatisfying.
Weird.
Bit like gorging yourself on McD's. ok while it's going in but makes you feel bloaty and crap after.
While I was reading it I'd say 8 out of 10.
After 4.
The basic ideas good though.

ukdane

Bit like gorging yourself on McD's. ok while it's going in but makes you feel bloaty and crap after.

I'd probably like it then :-S  

Does the cover give you a headache, in the same way a McD's milkshake does?
Cheers

-Daney

Tordelbach

It's one of the worst books I've ever read, and I wish I had those two days back, BUT I absolutely love giving out about its appalling style, fatyuosu claims, inaccuracies, virtual plagarism, misconceptiosn about Europe, one-dimensional "characters", ridiculous sales figures, embarassingly credulous fans etc. etc.  

It'll give you a great deal to talk about at tea break...

Darryl

Its a popcorn book!

I spent a few days on holiday reading it and enjoyed it, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was about now!

Satanist

It awful poorly written pap. The facts it claims are just plain wrong and yet I agree with some of the above. I quite enjoyed reading it at the time.

Guilty pleasure.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Floyd-the-k

http://www.mistycomic.co.uk/webphotoalbums/issue13/images/32_jpg.jpg">