Main Menu

MEGAZINE 268

Started by mogzilla, 04 February, 2008, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Armitage is trash. Does the action usually surround Steel? I find her amazingly boring considering she is a nubile police lesbian. I'd much prefer an Armitage-centric story.

Dredd was passable. Two massive coincidences in this money passing malarky, but I didn't think that Dredd was mis-written by whatsisname. In his recent stories Dredd has hardly appeared anyway.

I'm enjoying Bob TGB more than those two at the moment as it is new to me, but Tempest is friggin mental. I am enjoying it, but the last page splashes are an annoyance (I think I said that last month too).

Not had chance to read the text stuff as of yet.

mechanix81

Says something when the only strip I can bring myself to read is Armitage. Funking Armitage!
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

Floyd-the-k

I'd buy a Mazeworld collection too. Mogzilla, you are not alone

vzzbux

Not bought my meg yet but a Mazeworld GN I would buy.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

Didn't think the Dredd was that bad actually. Nothing special, but a decent enough filler.

Armitage, I find almost unreadably dull.

The art on Tempest was the best thing about this month's Meg. Particularly that last page.
We never really die.

Funt Solo

Fairly uninspiring Meg.  After the dreadful Year of Satanus, anything would have looked fantastic, and thus the relaunch stories (in comparison) are wonderful.  Standing on their own, though - it's such a pale flicker of light next to the fiery beacon of the weekly.

Dredd: filler.  Throwaway. Fluff. Okay art. Not even any orphans.  

AG Interview: entertaining, but when the most entertaining thing in the comic is an interview then there's something wrong with the comic.

All other text: filler I don't read.

Armitage: suffers from what Armitage always suffered from: it's dull, kitchen-sink Dredd.  To be honest, this is the best new strip in the Meg at the moment, as it does have quite an interesting story, following the misadventures of Treasure Steel.  Despite the story actually moving at a cracking pace, it still seems ponderously slow.  Bleak art doesn't help a bleak story about bleak people being bleak on a bleak island.

Bob the Galactic Bum: the best comic strip in the Meg.  When reprint material is the best strip in the comic, then there's something wrong with the comic.

Tempest: sort of entertaining, but completely unbelievable.  Why is it that werewolves and android gangs were perfectly acceptable but this rat-guy, the tele-head and so on, just aren't?  The art is good, but it's a tale too tall.  Also, there's nobody to root for.

---

Hey - what's this?  I think it's an old broken record of mine:

"Get a new editor for the Megazine" *click* "Get a new editor for the Megazine" *click* ...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Keef Monkey

Thought Dredd was okay, nothing fantastic but a nice wee crime story and for the most part the art was very nice.

Don't remember ever reading an Armitage series before(apart from a one off in a Dredd yearbook) and am really enjoying this, particularly liked the different style for the drunken flashback.

Bob The Bum Galacticus is alright with a couple of chuckles but it's not doing much for me to be honest.

And finally I;m finding Tempest great fun. The first episode has been the best so far, but I do like the bonkersness of the whole thing, and laughed out loud when he set himself alight. Like the manga-tinged artwork too. This was probably the highlight for me if I'm honest.

Not a brilliant issue, about 50% thrill-power and 50% meh power but now that Satanus isn't chundering along everything seems pretty fresh.

Large48

MAZEWORLD - FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

vzzbux

I thought the Dredd was quite a solid story. Perhaps would have been recieved better if it was titled under 'Tales from the Meg' rather than being a straight Dredd story. There have been alot worse.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

W. R. Logan

>Armitage: suffers from what Armitage always suffered from: it's dull, kitchen-sink Dredd

im enjoying the story, what its suffering from is very bad art

Goosegash

Or obscure cult stuff that's out on D.V.D.? Changing the remit to 'stuff we'd like but might have missed' would remove the need to be topical and would be more use.

Bring back the Heatseekers! They were an underrated feature of the Barnes-era Meg, I feel. Scott Gray's comics page was always interesting.

TordelBack

I think I could read/listen to Alan "Frank" Grant all day.  Brilliant stuff, and he so closely echoes my own feelings on his work and its development that it's a bit scary.  I wouldn't be a big fan of his later work, but you have to admire someone who gets so much respect from his fellow creators, while still being painfully honest with his opinions.

Trout

I agree on Armitage. "Kitchen sink Dredd" sums it up well.

- Trout

dweezil2

I thought The Meg was a distinct improvement this month-Tempest is suitably bonkers, the Dredd tale, while leaning towards the filler side, was interesting enough, while the Alan Grant interview was painfully honest and equal parts hilarious.
Glad to see Anderson's back so soon(know doubt tying in with the GN released in June-go Ranson)hopefully Boo Cook's generally excellent art will give it a much need injection of quality, which sadly eluded the last storyline.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JayzusB.Christ

Haven't really been into the meg for a while now. I'm sure there were good reasons for making it smaller but for me there just isn't enough to engage me these days.  I've never been a fan of Robbie Morrison's Dredd. Used to love Armitage but it's a bit boring now. I like Tempest, though, not sure if the squeaky-clean artwork suits the Undercity but it's all good fun.  I agree about hotshots - bring them back, Matt!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"