Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Next thing you know you'll be learning how to use a computer.  ;)
coming at a cinema near you soon

Emperor

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 February, 2012, 04:56:36 PMA simple accomplishment, but I felt embarrassingly proud of myself.

Celebrate the small victories!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Quote from: Emperor on 07 February, 2012, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 05 February, 2012, 04:56:36 PMA simple accomplishment, but I felt embarrassingly proud of myself.

Celebrate the small victories!!

Too right.  We all have our areas* of ignorance, and making any headway into them is cause for celebration.  Example:  despite being moderately computer-literate, I only installed and successfully used Skype for the first time a fortnight ago.  Yay me!

*In my case, whole super-continents.

Gonk

I know were you are coming from. What is Skype? I don't know. I only have a vague notion. How many other alternatives to it are there? Another 2000 I imagine. It seems we make things more complicated for ourselves with all the choices we have for what is in effect a very basic task. I mean, look at music nowadays. How many formats, how many do we need in the home? One.

Gonk

Another example of not understanding new technology is this morning "headlines" that Kylie has recieved threatening comments on twitter from some noob. Doesn't she know how to use the ignore function; or am I being naive?

staticgirl

I dunno, I don't see an obvious ignore button but then I don't really know Twitter that well, don't spend an awful lot of time on it.

Having said that, I just clicked on it and it looks different and I like it. You can follow conversations easier.

Gonk

Twitter's the place to be nowadays if you want a conversation online.

Rog69

Work are giving me an ipad  :D.

The only thing that stops this going in the fantastic thread is that it will have an app on it that will enable them to track me like a tagged sex offender.

Dandontdare

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Gonk

TordelBack

Okay, so I'm a worthless penniless lardass scraping whatever casual work I can find, but it has its advantages.  To-wit: a mid-term break day with my son practicing musket drill and dueling at the museum, then choosing the next Tintin in a bookshop where he found sufficient diversion to allow me a decent browse, followed by an indulgent trip to the chippy for (his) lunch, a couple of tram rides and an afternoon of Boxing and Monster Trucks on the Wii.  In between I managed to get short-listed for a nice little project (all phalanges, meta-carpals and -tarsals crossed), sorted out some outstanding accounting from last year, and got our Valentine's dinner bought and prepped. 

I doubt the rich and productive can boast of a day quite so satisfying, and it's not even dark yet.  Wasted in the world of full-time employment, I was.

Roger Godpleton

Nothing is more satisfying than occupying my unassailable plot on the moral high ground that comes from not having children so once again you lose.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 14 February, 2012, 04:56:40 PM
Nothing is more satisfying than occupying my unassailable plot on the moral high ground that comes from not having children so once again you lose.

How is not having children a 'Moral High Ground'

you tit. please piss off
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

TordelBack

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 14 February, 2012, 05:30:35 PM
How is not having children a 'Moral High Ground'

Reducing unequal consumption of finite resources, for one thing.  I actually agree with Roger there, but I'm afraid the chance to legitimately, unironically, enjoy things like Santa Claus, repelling imaginary pirates, learning to read, day-long sandcastle building and elaborate teddy bears' picnics, overwhlelms my certainty that adding more kids to the planet is the ultimate act of selfishness.