Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

[/quote]

Lets all list which of those we have then.....You dont have to but i am going to :

PJ Harvey - Stories From The .........

Yeah Yeah Yeahs -Fever To Tell

Blur - Think Tank

The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Spiritualised - Let It All Come Down

Avalanches - Since I Left You

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

And thats yer lot.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

1. The Strokes - Is This It
3. Primal Scream - xtrmntr
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows
14. Radiohead - Kid A
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
18. The White Stripes - Elephant
19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
20. Blur - Think Tank
32. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
36. Spirtualized - Let It Come Down
38. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
45. Avalanches - Since I Left You

It won't go down as a classic music decade though. Can't say there is anything in the list that is really groundbreaking.

Bouwel

QuoteLets all list which of those we have then.....

I have nothing on that list. I'm guessing that says something about me. Possibly.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Here is my list for anyone that is interested:
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
10. Radiohead - In Rainbows
12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver
14. Radiohead - Kid A
17. Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
20. Blur - Think Tank
24. The Libertines - The Libertines
28. Johnny Cash - Man Comes Around
30. Elbow - Asleep In the Back
31. Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
42. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
45. Avalanches - Since I Left You

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

James Stacey

I was going to say I had none of them as it appears to be a hateful list, and gloat. Then I realised I actually do have the Johnny Cash one. Shit! It's all crap really and depends entirely on your taste surely.
Best album of the decade (for me) is The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil folllowed by Quireboys - This is Rock and Roll. Can't see NME printing that tho :D

Colin YNWA

Uh fun lists about music!

6. PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
9. The Streets - Original Pirate Material
16. The Streets - A Grand Don't Come for Free
25. Rapture - Echoes
30. Elbow - Asleep In the Back
34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump

There's a couple of others I probably should own notably the Spiritualized album and ANOTHER Johnny Cash record (actually if this is one of the American recording I do own it I just remember these by number not title) and I've always meant to check out Wilco as all the stuff I've heard by them I've enjoyed.

Mike Gloady

It's the fourth of the American Recordings.  The one with covers of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and Nine Inch Nails' Hurt.  Classic.  The rest?  Yawn.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

wild-seven

1. The Strokes - Is This It
2. The Libertines - Up the Bracket
7. Arcade Fire - Funeral
8. Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
12. LCD Soundsystem - The Sound of Silver
19. The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
23. Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
24. The Libertines - The Libertines
33. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
34. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
39. Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles
40. Ryan Adams - Gold
47. Brendan Benson - Lapalco
49. Muse - Absolution

That's my collection, I'm not that sure about some of them...
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Dandontdare

I've just found out that in the same four week period that the housing association is fitting an entire new bathroom and kitchen in our flat, our wonderful subsidised restaurant at work is being refurbished too, so no hot lunches OR dinners.

The flat improvements were the bribe offered if we all voted to be transferred from council-run housing to HA. I voted no, but the refurbs and the avalanche of biased publicity meant the yes camp won. I expect rapid rent increases after 2012.

The food at work by the way is lovely - today I had poached smoked haddock with wilted spinach on a toasted muffin, with sautéed potatoes & onions and cauliflower cheese, all for £2.90. Tomorrow is 'roast day' - beef this week with Yorkshire pud and all the trimmings. yum! Six years of working there has made me fat, but I don't care!

December 09 is going to be the Month of the Sandwich. *sigh*

wild-seven

Quotetoday I had poached smoked haddock with wilted spinach on a toasted muffin, with sautéed potatoes & onions and cauliflower cheese

*wipes drool away from corner of mouth* Stop it you....you....you PERVERT!
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Peter Wolf

??Regarding the above list the majority of those albums i havent even heard and even the artists that were massively hyped like Arctic Monkeys,White Stripes,and The Libertines i have only ever heard one track from each of them.I have never heard anything by any of the other artists listed and without being dismissive i couldnt care less if i never hear anything by them because i am just not interested.It just goes over my head.I only heard a White Stripes track because it was played a couple of times in a club.

As far as i am concerned the last decade that the list covers is the worst decade for music i have lived through and i consider myself to be a music lover.I was blown away by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs because they seem genuine and look like they mean it and its just dirty sounding Rock N Roll music.

I only really listen to back catalogue and i am constantly buying secondhand vinyl.For example yesterday i bought a Bad Company album [self titled album  contains Cant Get Enough] and Gary Moore - Back On The Streets.

I live in a bubble and i create my own reality.By that i mean being out of touch with popular culture.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

QuoteBy that i mean being out of touch with popular culture.

Peter man, you're in your thirties.  Your 'popular culture' happened 20 years ago.  There's no shame in it.

I scroll through my MP3 player.  With the exception of movie soundtracks, a bit of wigger stuff I quite enjoy for its self-important silliness (Eminem, Streets etc.), some world music, and a lot of Rubin-era Johnny Cash, there's basically nothing on there from after 1991 - the year I turned 20.   

Colin YNWA

I hope thats an exaggeration and you haven't missed the work of Tom Waits over the last 18 years - he's produced some of his best work!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 18 November, 2009, 07:33:28 PM
I hope thats an exaggeration and you haven't missed the work of Tom Waits over the last 18 years - he's produced some of his best work!

Ah, point.  I did skip over the Waits section (10 albums on the MP3), probably because I always think of my introduction to him ca. 1990 as coming to an artist already fully formed, even though my favourite album (Bone Machine) didn't come out 'til 1992.  Ditto some of Leonard Cohen's later stuff - The Future, for example, also 1992.  So basically I'm talking shite when it comes to artists who had already won my heart by the time I was 20.